It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:53 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Well, I saw my doctor and had no problem switching me to Subutex. I had been dreading asking for months now, but it all went great! Instead of paying $570 a month, I now pay $350. It is just amazing - such a financial burden has been lifted from my shoulders.

On a side note, my doc hadn't heard of the film yet. I guess cause it is still new, cause I would say my doctor is definitely a good, knowledgeable doctor...

Anyways, I took my first dose tonight and it was different (no orange flavor, which I will miss), but it's not too bitter and dissolved the same. My only fear is that, because it is generic, it won't work as well. But both my doctor and pharmacist said generics are generally just fine, so I am not gonna be all paranoid..i know it is going to work great..

Has anybody here been switched to Subutex and had problems? I would appreciate anybody's feedback/story. Did it work better for you? Or, like I am thinking it is going to be, no difference? Just WAY cheaper!

I know it sounds stupid, but this discount is really going to change my financial situation for the better. I mean, that is $2600 a year that will be saved! ITS AWESOME!

Anyways, let me know if anybody has anything to say about the generic Subutex!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:34 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I also asked for generic Subutex two months after I started with Suboxone.I like the Suboxone better for some reason but it does the same thing lol!Probably because there is no taste really in Subutex.Just a chalky feeling.It's been over a month now I'm on subutex generic.everything is fine.

Especially my wallet!!!

Post subject: Going GREAT
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:13 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Well, I have been on generic subutex now for 12 days...and it is awesome! It works the EXACT same way, and it is so, so much cheaper, which is great. I save 230 dollars a month! The first couple days I thought it wasn't working but I just kept telling myself it was all in my head because of the taste change and because I was so used to regular suboxone, and sure enough it was in my head...I don't even miss the other stuff now..I am so glad I had the courage to ask my doc, who was more than happy to switch me.

Everything is going great!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:23 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I got switched too, but from the new film that you were talking about (the Sublingual Film), to the generic Subutex. I hadn't even heard that until just recently that it wasn't generic; I initally thought that it had been like, forever. This is the reason that I was dreading for a while because I knew that my dr. was adamant about putting me on the Suboxone Film and that's it, no subutex and it was the generic that I wanted because from experience with my prescription insurance I already knew, as a general rule that they ONLY paid for "generic" medications and the Suboxone Sub. Film was certainly not generic!

To make a long story short I had lost my job anyway and was paying out of pocket for these strips. The pharmacist were I went (the dr.'s office was right next door - even in the same building), used that coupon from the Manuf., but that only was for $75., and that was only per month. So along with the coupon during the first month, the pharmacist tried like a MILLION internet savings coupons/discount cards that I had/and brought in with me; I even used local discount cards from the county that I lived in and there was even a card from my State; and he would even show me the printout that the price he was charging me per strip was the best deal I would ever find (he said). I wanted to first see what everyone thinks about this; he charged me $6 per strip and honestly I have not found anyone that charges less for cash price.

Now here's the kicker! - I'm getting my insurance back through COBRA; and wait, no it's not horrific like I assumed it would be, my BCBS PPO plus Perscription coverage is only $140 a month and let me tell you, after having had it a year & a half. I will tell you that it had paid a lot for me, my Dr. office visits were only $20 and scripts were only $4 (generics only).
-So while I'm waiting for the COBRA to process through (like 1-2 days longer), I was told by the same pharmacist that likely my insurance will *NOT* cover the generic Subutex!! He wasn't saying it to make me mad, but with over a year and a half experience with taking many meds, my coverage has ALWAYS covered everything any doctor's had scripted and even the generic Adipex (which is a CIII Stimulant, is covered but just at a little higher co-pay $15).
And so since this guy isn't with my insurance company because the Prescription coverage that I get Only allows me to go ONE of TWO routes; which is either through a local pharmacy chain (Inside the Mid-West Grocery Chain called Meijer, INC in Michigan, Inidiana, Ohio, Kentucky and a few others), AND or through a company called "Express Scripts", which is ONLY mail order, but they are the "provider" that oversees my prescription insurance.

Does anyone know when I try and transfer this script over to my "Meijer, INC/Express Scripts", Pharmacy/Insurance Provider, if it will get denied or covered, *OR* even covered SOME?!?!?

Anyone with input would be GREATLY appreciated!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:50 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Cbolter - I replied to the other thread you posted. Just wanted to let you know.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject: Subutex is fine
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:51 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I was on Suboxone for several months my doctor switched me to Subutex(Generic).At the time the cash price was $1.50 each.I had insurance and my co pay was reduced from $40 to $5. I found the subutex worked just fine. Later when I moved to another state my new sub doctor was really against subutex because he sold suboxone out of his office and preferred that you buy them from him. I never do since I have insurance....something has changed because my co pay changed from $40 to $25.

As far as the pharmacist telling you the generic subutex is not covered is b.s. I used to have Express Scripts and CVS now takes them as well just so you know. Like I said my cost was $5 for a one month supply of generic subutex......remember there is a brand subutex and a generic. The generic subutex has been out there for almost 1 year that I know of. Most doctors will not prescribe it because many divert it because it does not have naloxone in it. If you have past IV abuse no doctor would risk giving it to you. The first two months I was on generic subutex I was called in twice for pill counts(5 hours round trip) but was fine on each visit-really gained the trust of that doctor. I really miss him. Hope this information helps.

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:31 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Stupid question over here, but what's Subutex? Is it generic Suboxone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:25 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Libra:

Subutex is a buprenorphine tablet minus the nalaxone. Brand name suboxone tablets and film contain a small amount of nalaxone to prevent IV drug users from crushing it up and injecting it. Nalaxone is often used to counteract the effects of an opiate overdose as well, and is most likely among the first things they would give an emergency-room patient who came in for a heroin or other opiate overdose.

The reason many doctors are hesitant to prescribe it is because IV drug users can more readily inject Subutex so it has a higher likelihood of diversion and/or abuse.

The obvious advantage to it is the fact that a generic is available.