It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:00 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I came across this article while reading about Suboxone and subutex on my break at work today, it's a bit long, but it's really worth the time to read,imo.
here's the link,I hope it works, I'm new at this, so someone let me know if it doesn't work please, thanks
Lizzie
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/18/healt ... -care.html

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:41 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It worked Lizzie! Thanks for sharing!

Q

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:05 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

yo Lizzie! That article included comments from people on this forum. The writer, Deb Sontag, asked for forum members to share their stories about a year ago... and some did. Note that the link you provided is the second half of the article, and the first half is here: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/17/health/in-demand-in-clinics-and-on-the-street-bupe-can-be-savior-or-menace.html

Deb Sontag exchanged dozens of emails with me in the months before the article came out. Frankly, I was disappointed that she gave so much weight to the 'controversial' stuff. She said, for example, that Suboxone has been linked to 400 deaths-- and she compares that number to the deaths of people in methadone programs. She didn't compare the number to the number of overdose deaths overall--- which are over 35,000 EACH YEAR. She didn't mention that most of the diversion is not from 'partying' but rather from attempts at 'self-treatment' by people who can't find a buprenorphine doc.

The exposure certainly could have been worse... but she makes a bit deal of the fact that many buprenorphine docs have been in trouble with licensing boards. She doesn't point out the reason for that, though-- that docs who have been through addiction themselves are more likely to see addiction as a disease that hurts people-- not as a 'character defect' that should be ignored.

Again the first page: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/17/health/in-demand-in-clinics-and-on-the-street-bupe-can-be-savior-or-menace.html

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:50 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Dang doc, I had read the article u referenced, but had no idea the one that I read today was part of it. the stuff I read today (seemed) so positive....bummer huh? I'm a little disappointed!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:51 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I thought the article was balanced about as well as it could have been considering she did include some people within it that were demonizing its use. Deborah did do a great job at at looking at all sides of the issue, however, I think from the first time I had contact with her regarding it to the time it hit the newsstands was about a year give or take a month or two?

So, that's the main reason I'm not totally furious about the more 'demonizing' parts of the article, because I know she spend an inordinate amount of time traveling the country, exchanging emails and having many long-telephone call interviews as well as sending others to travel the country to take pictures and interview.

Because the time between our initial interview and the actual time the article was in its final stages my number had changed as did my email address so she could not get in touch with me and needed to be able to have me verbally allow her to use the information she provided me; I had honestly thought the story died or she didn't want to use my info because she had enough. So rather than just not using it, she went WAY above and beyond to track me down through my business and had a photographer at my office within a couple days. So, I was really happy with the professionalism all around.

Do I have some small issues with some angles taken in the article; yes, I do. But overall, any information about buprenorphine is typically good in my book as it spreads the word to addicts who might not be aware of that particular modality option (believe me, there are many addicts who don't know Suboxone is available to them within a Dr's office setting.) Unless articles are based on opinion only, totally wrought with misinformation or based on furthering stigma, I'm all for exposure!

540 Greenhaven Road #201|Anoka, MN 55303
(763)250.0702
http://www.facebook.com/TpnServiceCompanies
Person-centered counseling, education, advocacy, referral services and assessments.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:25 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

It is with great sadness that miss Angela S, who was in this nytimes story has passed away..
Lastnight....she had come back to our clinic and our suboxone "Bupe Group" support group these last few weeks..
She was a bright girl . Ive known her folks since high school. She much support from them.. Like many of us she kept fighting, but lossed her life..If you all could remember them in your prayers that would be great..I take this death personally..very hard...We talked monday again about tbe artical and she was luke warm on how it turned out. You may want to go back and read her story...peace....raz...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:36 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

While I did not know Angela at all, unfortunately, we all know the terrible battle she sadly lost. what awful news! I'll be sure to go back and read her parts of the article today :'(

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:19 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm so sorry to hear that, Razor. Terrible news.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:41 pm 

One of the questions that often comes up on our forum is, "My doctor says the DEA is cracking down on generic bupe and he can only prescribe the suboxone films. Is this true?"

I am grateful that this was included in the article:

Dr. Clark has frequently felt under siege. He said a Reckitt Benckiser representative cautioned him that he was courting trouble with the authorities by prescribing generic buprenorphine and not Suboxone. Last year, Dr. Clark wrote the Drug Enforcement Administration to ask whether he was indeed tempting fate.

A senior D.E.A. official responded that “what drug to prescribe, what formulation, what quantity” was a doctor’s prerogative.

“It is unfortunate to learn that physicians in Western Pennsylvania have received incorrect information,” the official wrote, “and that such misinformation may potentially be inhibiting legitimate treatment.”

Feeling vindicated, Dr. Clark circulated the letter to pharmacists.

It seems that the Reckitt Benckiser reps are spreading misinformation in order to boost suboxone sales. What a big surprise. :/

Amy
It seems that