It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:12 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Reading these post`s I`m now dreading starting this wonder drug, my doctor still insists you just taper down to half of a.2 on then skip a day ! From reading here all withdrawels are a nightmare and being a tpypical addict withdrawel is hell to be avoided at all costs. I`m 57 and have been on sub. fo 2.5 yrs on .2 for 2yrs and was down to half at one point, my question is should I try a med. withdraw with tapering down with percocet to 5mg a day would this be easier? I know some will say I`m crazy but I don`t honestly think I could endure the things people are describing here. I happened on a site where all the posts were opposite of here that withdrawing wasn`t bad at all,it seemed legit. but who do I trust.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:23 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

i know it is so hard, i only have used subutex for six days and stopped because of all the stories i have read. Maybe you can get some help me meds from the dr for w/d. I am not sure if percocet would help but I have heard people using the method but you got to be careful not to get hooked on that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:27 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm really not sure what you're talking about - there are quite a few people here who have successfully tapered off Suboxone.

As for going back on a short-acting full-agonist opoid, I think it's a bad idea. I don't think it would be easier to taper off. If it was easy to taper off those kinds of drugs, we wouldn't be on Suboxone in the first place. Please read through some of the taper threads to get an idea of how people have tapered off successfully.

-Jack Kornfield

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:29 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I can't tell you from personal experience what suboxone withdrawals are like, because I'm still on it and will be for the long haul.
BUT, there are many people on this forum who tapered down carefully and did just fine. See the liquid taper method, for example.
Are you on .2 mg or 2 mgs of suboxone, it's not entirely clear?

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:44 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

I have read them and it still scares me; i don't know the subutex is making me sick I just don't think it is for me. I will go back however and read the stories again, I got freaked out with some of them

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:46 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Alot of the taper posts scare the sh*t out of me also. If I had known it was so hard to get off this drug I never would have started it 2 years ago. I know hindsight is always 20/20 but damn I wish i had just gone c/t back then, I mean a week of hell is much worse than MONTHS of withdrawls and PAWS from this drug.

I have though many times about going back to oxys to withdrawl but now that I'm pregnant I dont have that choice. I dont think its a good idea but I cant see any alternative besides being stuck on suboxne forever or going through months of tapering hell.

I hope he understands
That he can take this life
And hold it by the hand
And he can greet the world
With arms wide open...

JJL Due 8.14.10 <3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:04 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

A slow taper isn't hell and for many of us it has been relatively symptom free. I had no problems tapering from 12mg to .50mg. However, haven't yet been able to taper off completely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 2:23 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

hatmaker510 wrote:
I can't tell you from personal experience what suboxone withdrawals are like, because I'm still on it and will be for the long haul.
BUT, there are many people on this forum who tapered down carefully and did just fine. See the liquid taper method, for example.
Are you on .2 mg or 2 mgs of suboxone, it's not entirely clear?
I tried to withdraw from .2 didn`t sleep for 4 days I couldn`t stand it so I`m back on again and doing a slow taper but I`m determind to rid myself of this deamon!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 3:05 pm 
Forgive me if I'm not understanding correctly, but in your 1st post you said something about half of a .2
so you mean 2 tenths of a milligram? The reason I'm asking is because I thought the lowest dose pill was 2mg. Please clear that up for us because it makes a big difference.

Just as an aside I went 5 days with no Sub after being on 12mg/day and I had no withdrawals. I know it's not a fair comparison because I'm sure I still had bupe in my system after being at a higher dose. But under another thread Dr. J mentionned that people who don't have problems coming of Sub don't usually post about it, so the posts are skewed to emphasize the difficulties.
Don't despair. You can do it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 3:43 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm not sure if you are calling "suboxone" a demon or "addiction" a demon. If you think suboxone is a demon then you are on the wrong site. If you think you will get rid of addiction by getting off suboxone then you should keep reading on this site because that won't happen.

If you want to get off suboxone, you can certainly use some comfort meds to help you through the first couple of weeks. I used restless leg medicine, clonidine, ativan (very short term), immodium AD, trazadone, a few days of ambien, etc. It can be done without total misery. It isn't the most pleasant experience in the world, but physically, I have had the flu's that have lasted longer, been worse, and have had fewer drugs to help you. Now the psychological part of it and the cravings......you are pretty much stuck with. The anxiety can be controlled with neurontin. Actually, clonidine helps tremendously with cravings.

I don't know what you have read about how horrible it is, but really, the PAWS are the worst and there is nothing you can really do about that. You will have PAWS from alcohol withdrawal, crack withdrawal, and opiate withdrawal. Doesn't matter. Why are you so hell bent on getting off of it? What is the harm being on it?

Cherie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 5:13 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

<b>skydog81</b> - A long slow Suboxone taper is not 'hell.' You may be uncomfortable at times, but hell it ain't. If and when you feel that you are ready, and you put in the effort (proper diet, moderate to intense exercise everyday and decrease slowly to a very low dose), I'm sure you'll find there is nothing to fear.

As far as going back on a full agonist to accomplish your taper - I think that you would have already done that before you even considered taking sub. It is a much more difficult proposition... at least that was my experience. When I was in active addiction, I was someone that was on such a high dose of Morphine and Oxycontic per day, that most addicts reading my story would probably think to themselves "Well, at least I don't have it as bad as that poor bastard. He's screwed!". So if I can do it, I'm sure that many other people have a very good shot at it.

Also, I get the impression that your doctor wants you to ween down to 1mg and then stop. You have to understand something... 1mg of sub is equal to approximately 30mgs of morphine, so you really have to get much, much lower than that if you want things to go smoothly. I got down to .0125mgs before I jumped, and I still felt a little under the weather on days 4 and 5. At the very least, you should get down to .25mgs before you stop.

One other thing - I keep reading about people that say they should have just gone cold turkey off their drug of choice because then they would only have to go through one week of hell and everything would be fine. That is just not being realistic. You're still going to have to deal with your addictive behavior, AND you will still have to deal with PAWS.

If you have any questions, or if there is anything at all that I can do to help, please feel free to contact me.