It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: withdrawal
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:02 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have been taking methadone for 15 months, went down from 95 (once a day) to 5ml twice a day, and a month ago switched to 8 suboxone,
I felt really good..
(first little euphoria, which caused guilt& others addiction mechanisms (like thinking about taking more as prescribed), but after, really good, much better than on methadone
Until last Friday.
I thought I'm maybe getting sick, and today as I woke up at 2 am, finally realized that I'm in withdrawal,
Thanks God I'm seeing my doctor today, and the higher power definitely helped me, because if I would realized earlier I would be in full blown withdrawal the whole weekend, probably
at least I feel a little less guilty that I left my classes yesterday.
So does anyone know, Why is it like this?

Has anybody had the same experience

I would really appreciate your help
(as I said in the introductions forum I'm pretty lonely out here in Poland)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:35 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Finally I am taking 12mg of suboxone
The weird thing is, that when I took it at all at once (in the mornig), than after 10 hours I'm feeling very tired, cold etc
(Last 6 moths I was taking methadone also in two parts, in the mornig and in the evening)
So now I take 8mg 9 am, and 4mg about 4pm
Does anybody take suboxone like me? in two parts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:04 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

hi nanonymous -

I just started my 12mg's / day also. My doc said that I should start out with 1/2 morning, 1/2 lunch, 1/2 dinner. I'm not sure if it is because psychologically I have been used to something more than once a day - or if it's like "topping off the tank"..

Regardless - I'll follow his instructions, even though I understand the long half life, etc.

Maybe your doc (if you have one) can recommend a routine? I don't think there is anything wrong with multiple times a day for subox - except that it may not help that much over time. For now, if you feel more under control - less symptoms - I don't see what would be the harm. Still - like me, I'd recommend you do what your doc says. I'm certainly no long term expert as some of the others on the forum.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:00 pm 
Hi nano and lathe! As far as the dosing more than once throughout the day: It's my understanding that it's usually best to take your dose all at the same time once per day. The exception being if you're taking it for a chronic pain condition in which case it is recommended to split your dose for better pain relief. My doctor started me at 3X daily dosing also. I don't know why they tend to do that or why they tend to keep us on higher doses than 4-8mg/day. If I hadn't done the independent research and heard from others on this forum, I'd probably still be taking 16-24mg divided into 3 doses, which really is not necessary and this med is soooo expensive! Why take more than we really need?! I think it probably is important to initially take a high enough dose to get us feeling well and get the receptors loaded, but after that, I think it's usually better to get down to 8mg or so a day. Of course, it's important to follow your doctor's instructions and discuss changes with him/her first.
The Suboxdoc who started this forum suggests that the once daily dosing schedule is good for us psychologically in that it helps to break that cycle of multiple dosing and dosing just because we have a little "twitch" of some kind. There are so many things that come into play with addiction.
I remember when I tried abstinence-based recovery, they would have us identify 'triggers' to our using. I had such difficulty with that at the time! Since I've been on Sub, I've actually been able to identify when I'm having a craving and sometimes actually discern what has triggered it. And better yet, I'm able to get through the craving and not act upon it! It's a beautiful thing! My first few weeks on it though, I'd take another piece of Sub because that's what my doc had told me to do. Over time though, and with learning more about how Sub works, I was able to see that doing it that way was kind of silly and wasting expensive medicine, so I quit doing it and have made more progress in my recovery since then.
That's my five cents' worth.
Lathe - I'm glad that I was able to help you with that first appt. It makes me happy to know that something I shared has helped someone else.