It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:16 am 
New Poster
New Poster

My induction... boy oh boy was it rough. It took me 4 weeks to get into the suboxone clinic at the Veteran's Affairs but I was finally able to get in.

I went to my induction appointment at approx 19 hours since my last use of H. The doc had me take 4mg of suboxone (half a pill) (I was a 16 on the COWS), waited about an hour and only a slight decrease on the COWS (down to a 12 if I remember correctly) so she thought I might need more and she told me she was going to prescribe me 16mg per day (as that is the highest dose allowed through the VA). As she typed up my rx for me to get it from the pharmacy she told me to go ahead and take the other half of the suboxone that I had already received from the pharmacy. By the time I had gotten to the pharmacy and filled my rx I was severely sweating and freezing. I was driving myself home (which was ~ 14 miles in horrible traffic) in what I would call the worse day of my life. I couldn't sit still in my car, I was sweating so much that my seat in the car was wet but I couldn't turn the air on in the car because the slightest movement of wind across my body would cause me to chill uncontrollably. I finally make it home after what feels like hours but I know has only been about 30 minutes. I run up to my room, strip naked, jump under the blankets and start to cry.

From there my wife has no idea how to help me. I called my Dr and she told me to take more suboxone or go to the ER, I didn't know what to do. I was scared, afraid, even more so unable to control myself. I finally got tired of crying and yelling and sweating and chilling that I finally gave up and went to the ER. They shot me up with some Ativan and I slept like a baby in that ER for I swear 4 hours. They sent me home with a weeks worth of Ativan and a good luck...

Morale of the story... Precipitated withdrawal is HELL. But I have pushed through it and I'm now going into day 6 on 16mgs a day of suboxone.

Today is the first day that I felt 100% went I took my suboxone however I felt more then I expected to off of it. I think my tolerance has finally matched that of the suboxone as I had a slight euphoric feeling about 30-45 minutes after taking my 2nd 8mg pill. I'm thinking starting next week I want to start dropping myself down to 12 mg. The VA's taper program is designed to last between 8 months to a year.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:02 am 

19 hours may have been a little too soon to start ur induction. I'm sure u were scared to death. Thankfully my induction was a huge relief. Instead of more sickness, I immediately felt better. It sucks that u had a rough induction but at least it's over with now.

One thing we always tell ppl who have precipitated withdrawal is to just keep dosing ur suboxone like prescribed and you'll start to finally feel relief. I never did heroin, it's one of the few things I never tried, but we've heard a few ppl say that some heroin has fentanyl mixed in with it. Fentanyl and methadone are the two opiates that u have to wait longer to be off of before ur induction. Maybe ur H had a little bit of that or was stronger than others, or maybe u just didn't wait long enough, regardless ur over that hump now and on to great things!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:04 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi VoI! Wow what an induction. That is so scary and I can't imagine going through such an ordeal but thank goodness it's over and your on Suboxone now. I think you will be pleased because it should be pretty much smooth sailing from here on out. Boy your story really got to me. I could just imagine you in your car sweating and running up to your bed after getting home and crying in bed. Again I am so sorry that you had to go through that. Then to the hospital, geez! Sounds like you are feeling much better and I am glad to hear that. Well I just wanted to welcome you to the forum with open arms and say if your interested in learning more about Suboxone like the majority of us are when we first came here, read around the forum, you will learn a lot and also The Talk Zone. You click on the top of the board index page to get to that. A lot of factual information there along with the blog our awesome Suboxdoc writes there. Thank you for serving, and hope to hear back from you soon. Sincerely, Angie

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:07 pm 

First off, I can't thank you enough for serving our country in the armed services.

I'm so sorry that your induction went that badly. From what I've learned on this forum it seems that the easiest opioid drugs to transition from are short acting opiates like percocet and vicodin. Heroin is more difficult to transition from, and methadone is even harder.

One of the potential problems with inducting on suboxone from heroin is that the heroin is sometimes cut with fentanyl. Fentanyl is a longer acting opioid that can be stored in the fat cells of your body, making it more likely that you will experience precipitated withdrawal if you don't wait long enough between your last hit and starting suboxone.

My doctor wanted me to have 72 hours of withdrawal from my last percocet to the induction. I ended up withdrawing for about 60 hours. While his methods may have been a little bit extreme (though he did give me comfort meds), I went into his office feeling yucky and left after induction feeling like a million bucks. I think each doctor has their own method, but I think that it's important to remind doctors that heroin can be cut with other opioids that are not short acting!

Welcome to the forum and I hope you keep posting!

Amy