It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Withdrawal and timing
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:55 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi I am tapering off suboxone after three years on it. I was placed on bupe when I was pregnant and had a c section, they used the bupe as pain management for that and through that and my own stupidity I ended up on 28 a day. I am now down to 12 reducing by 2mg a week once I get under 6 I will reduce by 1 til I get to 2 and them go down by .2 or that is my plan. When I get down to .2 I will stay on that for three weeks and then go to a detox for four weeks in December as I have a toddler and don't want her to see me sick. I am also getting married next March.

I have two questions does this tapering plan sound okay, I have withdrawn off methadone before so I think this wont be so bad.

Next question and I know it is different for everyone but do you think I will be okay by 14 March 2014 if I have my last dose late November? I really don't want to feel like crap on my wedding day

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:47 pm 

Hi Ezzz,

It is hard to say what a person will feel like 4 months down the line after stopping Suboxone. My guess is you'll be fine. There still might be some minor GI issues but nothing you can't handle.

Go for it! Your plan sounds good to me.

Congratulations are in order too. Plus the Welcome to the forum line if you haven't received it already from another member or two.

rule

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:11 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you so much that's so good to know that I am on the right track and thank you for the welcome

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:12 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Welcome Ezzz,

You can do this. I'm on day 15 off sub and am doing pretty good. I got down to under .1 at the end and took my time so I think that helped a lot. I have a 4 and a 7 year old and I want this for my kids too. It's amazing what we can do. I tried to detox off methadone a couple years ago and was hell. This is so much more managable for me so far.

Good luck with your wedding plans.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:21 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi ezzz.

I agree ive heard methadone is much harder to get off of than suboxone so hopefully those withdrawals have prepared for whats to come!

Ive been clean for 6 months now and after 4 months i honestly felt great! Sleeping was back to normal and i had very minimal cravings.

But of course everyone is different so nothing is set in stone here!

Take care and congratulations on your wedding! Best wishes on your road to recovery!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:49 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Box 29,

Are you 6 months off Subs?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:01 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you it is so encouraging to hear your feedback for me I guess it's the follow up counseling that I need to make a priority and find time to fit it in that will probably make the difference between making it and not.

I really hope the time frame is enough it will be more like three and a half months but I think it should be fine can't wait to be off it now. It is so much harder when you have children because you don't have the luxury of being unwell but like you said I want to do it for my daughter and me!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:05 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Okbyme that is fantastic if you are on day 15 and feeling ok how were the last two weeks? Good on you that is such an accomplishment

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:35 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Okbyme yes i checked myself into detox on february 22nd for suboxone among other things as well. I felt fine for the first 5 days and then day 6 it started to kick my ass! After 2 weeks my physical withdrawal pretty much subsided all together luckily.

Hot baths helped me the most. The baths would make me feel like myself for about an hour than it was back to feeling lethargic and shitty.

I went to AA meetings for the first 100 days or so although im no alcoholic . Not anymore though AA isnt for me. I see an addiction therapist every 2 weeks now instead.

Goodluck! It can be done!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:41 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you Boxed 29. You are an inspiration to me hopefully I am posting the same type of words six months after I get off it. Two weeks of withdrawals doesn't seem that bad although I'm sure at the time it feels like death, was it very intense also did you have what I have heard referred to as PAWS? That is my biggest concern as I will have to return to a long work day with two hour each way commute five weeks after I quit.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:26 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey ezzz.

Withdrawals for me were pretty bad for the first two weeks. It may have been because i jumped off at 4 mg. i cant stand feeling hot and cold at the same time! Lol.

My PAWS usually would kick in if i was really bored. Sitting down watching tv would get my mind doing loops having thoughts about using. Oddly enough id always think about drinking since id always tell myself well if i cant do pills why not drink some alcohol?!

As for the job thing, i finally got a job about 4 weeks after i quit. Not quite as long of a commute though as you have. Id do fine. I always look forward to work since ill know ill be out doing something And being able to focus on something else.

Sometimes, very seldomly, i have urges to use if i have TOO much to do. I become overwhelmed and i get a headache and the thoughts will come back. All i do is tell myself drugs or suboxone is not an option for me anymore and the urges leave within 5 minutes.

As for your commute i found music to be very helpful. Id always drive around in my car at the beginning and listen to whatever music i really enjoyed. This would be vert therapeutic for me. So id suggest have a cd that you love to accompany you on these long commutes.

Goodluck! If i can do it anybody can! I have faith in ya