It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: withdraw quitting hard
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:45 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

So, i am very new to this site but i have alot of questions. I wasn't sure what site to go to, let alone join, so if im way off base here let me know. Let me just say, my intentions are to gain insight on a situation and learn. Anyways to the point, this is my first post, so ill keep it kinda light. My question is concerning WITHDRAWS or detox from suboxone. Cold, Hard, Turckey quitting sub. First off, i know the intended methtod of use on the pack and by doctors is sublingualy. My question is, are the side effects of detoxing from suboxone the same reguardless of the method of use. for example, via mouth, nose, arm, butt ect. so in other words, should the physical symptoms of withdraw from sub, be any worse if the user was injecting the medication rather than disolving it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:37 pm 

We try to help anyone who comes along here! There are folks on this forum who have been through just about everything, so the collective wisdom available is comprehensive. I don't personally know how withdrawals might differ when you've been shooting sub instead of taking it sublingually. I'm guessing, though, that if you IV 2 mg of sub versus dissolving it under your tongue, the IV is going to result in increased bioavailability, and therefore a harsher withdrawal than that person dissolving it sublingually. Does that make sense?

Like I said, we are here to help. But I want to caution you away from a couple things. You may be in a very bad place with suboxone right now and you may just hate it! And that's OK. What's not OK is calling others out for being on sub, arguing that getting off sub is right for everyone just because it's right for you, and generally not being able to respect people who might have a different viewpoint. I want you to have a successful time here and to get the help you need. As long as you keep away from what I just mentioned, you will get it! Welcome!

Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:09 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Joker,

Welcome to the forum!!!

The route of administration is important when considering quitting Suboxone because you do get higher bioavailability with certain methods.

If I took 8mg sublingually and you took 8mg via IV, you would be getting much more Suboxone into your system and you would have to detox from a higher dose, thus a worse detox.

Route of administration could also be an indicator of how bad one's addiction is. For example, someone who is shooting it could be considered to still be in full blown addiction and would therefore have a harder time quitting because they're still in full blown addiction. Know what I mean?

Detox is a mental and physical process.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:00 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I don't shoot my subs but I do know the bioavailability of buprenorphine sublingually is around 25-30%, so if you are using intravenously it would be 100%. Therefor, shooting 2mg of subs would be like taking 8mg the proper way. So I would assume quitting cold turkey would be harder. Let's say you think you're quitting from 2mg, but if you shoot you'd be quitting from around 8mg. Correct me if I am wrong anyone, but I think that would be the case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:36 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Romeo wrote:
Route of administration could also be an indicator of how bad one's addiction is. For example, someone who is shooting it could be considered to still be in full blown addiction and would therefore have a harder time quitting because they're still in full blown addiction. Know what I mean?

Detox is a mental and physical process.

I'm with Romeo on this one. Withdrawal / detox is also the process of your body healing from the damage we do to it in addiction. If you've been IV'ing your Suboxone, you'll have done your body more damage to your body than if you took it as it's supposed to be taken. Once you stop using, you'll be conscious the pain associated with pumping Sub (with all its binders / flavouring etc) into your veins.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:20 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

This is just my opinion. We try to rationalize avoiding withdraw. I know it crosses my mind from time to time.

The concept of different levels of withdraw is a litte "Chicken Eggie to me. I see rationalization as a good thing up to a point.
Like preparing your self to high dive head first into the ocean off of a 100 ft cliff. Staying to long, thinking about it is just as bad as jumping With out looking around and preparing.

I think duration of use with our choice of substance is more important then IV or sublingual use.
The withdraw is a constant. I don't think we remember the kind of's anyway.

Rock On either way!!!

Oh and the Chicken came first, before the egg.

Snake

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:20 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

hey Joker--I too had that same question.. what did you find out if anything?? Is doing 2 mg IV really as potent as 8 mg sublingually? Great question!!!