It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: withdraw problems
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:01 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

has anyone been able to suceesfully taper off Subs. without going thru hell! I am really nervous about this and already am looking to find a DR. who can help me stay on for as long as I want and after 20yrs of battling opiates I am at the point of accepting the fact that either Subs or methadone might be my only way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:15 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I am still on sub, have been for over 2 years, so I can't share with you my taper experience. But I did want to tell you that, YES, some people here on this very forum have managed relatively painless tapers and are still doing well. I responded on a different thread that you posted on, hopefully you can find that and read what I said over there. I won't repeat all of it, but I wills stress that the best way to taper is to do it low, long, and slow - spread the tapers out over months (not weeks), give yourself time in between each drop, and taper down into the micrograms before jumping. The people I know who have done that were able to do it with relatively little discomfort. I know it can be done.

One last thing, since you said you have a 20 year addiction history, I don't think it's outrageous to suggest you stay on suboxone long term, if not for life. Twenty years is a long time to live in active addiction. We all know opiate addicts relapse - it's practically inevitable. That's why some of us do advocate long term, if not life-long, sub treatment, especially for people with an addiction history like yours.

That said, YOU are the only one who can determine if you're ready to quit sub. It CAN be done though, and successfully at that.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:17 pm 
My goodness it sounds like yet another person who is being forced off subs, am i correct? If so, thats a damn shame!! People have successfully tapered off subs. They do it all the time actually. Look in the taper threads on here. Their is much info in those threads. Their is a liquid taper method that is highly recommended. Check it out. I would link you to it but im not sure exactly where it is. Someone else who does know will come along an possibly link you to it. I would probably try to find a new doctor or possibly switch to methadone, if indeed you are being forced off sub. Again its a damn shame if you are. Welcome to the forum!!