It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:45 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have been on 8mg suboxone films for a week now. I am coming down from Tramadol and Hydrocodone. I should have just manned up and taken the withdrawalls from the prescibed meds. Now I fear I am dependent on the suboxone and from all Ive read she is a much mightier beast than the hydro or tramadol to withdraw from. I have traded bad for worse. I am screwed. My doctoer is out of town and his nurse wont give me any titrating info, just says follow doctors orders. I have exceeded my 8mg dose 2 out of those last 7 days not because i needed it, but because i am an addict/alcoholic always looking to "feel" something other than myself. Feeling hopeless right now.

Post subject: I Disagree
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:09 pm 

My case was very similar to yours, I also took Tramadol and Norco's. But the question is, how much were you taking? My dosage was way too high to consider tapering or going cold turkey. Suboxone was my only choice and a good one.

Have you done your homework regarding the withdrawals from Bup? It is a lot easier to taper and then stop at a very low dose. The w/d's are a fraction of a full agonist like Norco or Tramadol.

Now if you were only taking a few a day then I'd agree. How much were you taking?

Suboxone is not the monster you make it out to be. There are a lot of success stories here and other forums of addicts who did it correctly and are now off all opiates. Give it a chance. It was designed for opiate addiction.

If you are taking more, like many of us did in the beginning, then you need to find some outside help. Whether it be NA, AA, or an addiction therapist, there needs to be something to help you NOT use. Addicts can rarely do it themselves. We just don't think like other people anymore.

Post subject: Re: I Disagree
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:44 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

rule62 wrote:
My case was very similar to yours, I also took Tramadol and Norco's. But the question is, how much were you taking? My dosage was way too high to consider tapering or going cold turkey. Suboxone was my only choice and a good one.

Have you done your homework regarding the withdrawals from Bup? It is a lot easier to taper and then stop at a very low dose. The w/d's are a fraction of a full agonist like Norco or Tramadol.

Now if you were only taking a few a day then I'd agree. How much were you taking?

Suboxone is not the monster you make it out to be. There are a lot of success stories here and other forums of addicts who did it correctly and are now off all opiates. Give it a chance. It was designed for opiate addiction.

If you are taking more, like many of us did in the beginning, then you need to find some outside help. Whether it be NA, AA, or an addiction therapist, there needs to be something to help you NOT use. Addicts can rarely do it themselves. We just don't think like other people anymore.

Taking up to 1000mg Tramadol or up to 150mg Hydrocodone daily untill last wednesday. Went onto the subs on thursday. I totally understand that this medicine is a lifesaver for many people and Im not attempting to demonize it. I just wonder if Ive made a big mistake in my own personal situation. With the Tram and Hydro most withdrawall effects are gone in a week for me. I keep reading so many horrible drawn out exeriences withdrawing from the subs, its quite scary. I keep telling myself "I wont take any tomorrow, today is the last day" then I take a sub the next day anyway. I know yall arent Doctors so I guess Im just venting my fear and frustration by writing it down and sharing.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:03 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

sub0 wrote:
I should have just manned up and taken the withdrawalls from the prescibed meds. Now I fear I am dependent on the suboxone and from all Ive read she is a much mightier beast than the hydro or tramadol to withdraw from.

Suboxone is no mightier a beast, fortunately. Suboxone is just an opioid with some handy qualities for treating addiction. I agree that people who jump off high doses, over 4mg's, are in for a painful ride. I did it myself a couple of times, and for me it was up there with agonist withdrawal. So it's never a good idea to jump off a high dose of any opioid, I don't think. But the beauty about buprenorphine is that many more people successfully ween / taper themselves off it. If people work a really good taper, the final step off can have minimal withdrawals.

My reason to get on Suboxone wasn't to escape withdrawal. That didn't play any part in the decision at all. I was just sick of getting clean, staying clean for a while in NA, then relapsing and losing everything again. It was getting ridiculous. So after a couple of days of thought, I went back on Suboxone. It helps me stay off heroin, and get on with my life. And after experiencing non-addict life for a couple of years, I plan on reducing off it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:08 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

tearj3rker wrote:
sub0 wrote:
I should have just manned up and taken the withdrawalls from the prescibed meds. Now I fear I am dependent on the suboxone and from all Ive read she is a much mightier beast than the hydro or tramadol to withdraw from.

Suboxone is no mightier a beast, fortunately. Suboxone is just an opioid with some handy qualities for treating addiction. I agree that people who jump off high doses, over 4mg's, are in for a painful ride. I did it myself a couple of times, and for me it was up there with agonist withdrawal. So it's never a good idea to jump off a high dose of any opioid, I don't think. But the beauty about buprenorphine is that many more people successfully ween / taper themselves off it. If people work a really good taper, the final step off can have minimal withdrawals.

My reason to get on Suboxone wasn't to escape withdrawal. That didn't play any part in the decision at all. I was just sick of getting clean, staying clean for a while in NA, then relapsing and losing everything again. It was getting ridiculous. So after a couple of days of thought, I went back on Suboxone. It helps me stay off heroin, and get on with my life. And after experiencing non-addict life for a couple of years, I plan on reducing off it.

Thats awesome tearj! Thats the ride I want to be on as well. I had about 10 years clean and sober before I messed up 11//2 years ago and thought I could handle painkillers like a "normie". Im never gonna be a normie no matter how long I stay clean Ive come to realize.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:55 am 
You've only been on Sub a week.

Just stop taking it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:01 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Why don't you stop taking it Ironic, considering you go around telling everyone else to do it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:32 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Many who become chemically dependent/self-medicate are often very hard on themselves. I am often my own worse enemy, I will often obsess over embarrassing things I did when I was 12 or how I hurt another kids feelings when I was 8 (I am in therapy don't worry :lol: ). That just isn't a good way to live, and certainly isn't a excuse to numb myself. I think you might be being too hard on yourself. Suboxone has been so much easier for me to manage and helped stop a multi-year relapse cycle I had going (that included poly substance use). Lots of the stuff I read on the internet about Sub is just silly frankly. It also doesn't help that the 12 steps take such a negative stance towards medications like Suboxone. Do not let some lay person in a meeting influence what meds you take. That is between you and your doctor and maybe loved ones.

Post subject: The Same
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:06 pm 

Sub0,

I was taking almost the exact amount you were but add in about a dozen Soma's and some Xanax when I could get my hands on it. In my mind there was no way I would have jumped from that amount of pain killers, and it's doubtful it'd be over in a weeks time. At a few more days and then the PAWS would wear me down like it's done every other time I've tried to stop. At least with the Sub I have a chance to work on my addiction problems with a clear head. To me there was no other choice. If there wasn't Sub then I either would have checked into a rehab or started Methadone Maintenance. And even with the rehab I still would have to deal with PAWS.

Yes, there will be PAWS when I stop the Sub, but after reading of so many others experience I doubt if the intensity will be up there like full agonists.

Relax and enjoy your new life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:32 pm 
tearj3rker wrote:
Why don't you stop taking it Ironic, considering you go around telling everyone else to do it?

Because I am physically dependent on it, and at the time of the original post the OP wasn't.

Because he is expressing a desire to get off Sub immediately, while I have been on it for 15 months..but I'm on my way, settling in at .75 mg/day. I dont have a desire to remain dependent forever. Either does the OP, and I'd rather do a c/t detox with that small amount of opiates than do this Sub thing. A week of withdrawals vs over a month.

My habit was much larger than OPs as well.

None of this matters though. I gave my opinion bc OP asked what he should do. That is not unsolicited advice.

Your bias shines through every time