It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:13 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi All--

I didn't see any similar posts (unless I am blind! which tends to periodically be the case..) so I thought I would share my experience with having a Tooth Extraction and being on Subutex.

I had my Upper right wisdom tooth taken out on Saturday. They only used a local anesthetic but I was still quite worried about how the pain would affect me afterwards.

They tried to prescribe me Norcos but of course I said "Oh, I had addiction issues, can you give me some 800 mg Motrins instead?" The assistant gave me a dirty look and that was that.

The procedure went well but the pain that followed was difficult. I have heard that bupe can provide some relief but if that was the case, relief was very minimal. Ibuprofen worked wonders, though.

So, for those of you that need to have a tooth pulled--know that in my case sub did not help with the pain but Ibuprofen is the way to go!

Please do not hesitate if you have any questions!

Sincerely,
Jess/Jdizzle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:15 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Also, forgot to mention that pain lasted for about 3 days and it seemed like when I was letting my sub dissolve under my tongue that irritated the extraction site quite a bit. So I just took my entire dose at once rather than in the morning/evening like I usually do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:47 am 

Why a nurse would give you a dirty look for being honest and asking for non-narcotic pain relief is beyond me!! Your honesty and admission should be treated with celebration and kudos! So let me take the place of that mean nurse....Way to go, Jess! You are honest and brave, and congratulations for admitting your addiction and getting your life in order!

Ibuprofen is very effective at dental pain, and I'm not surprised the sub didn't really work. In order to get the full analgesic effect from your dose, you would have had to split your dose into 4 doses. Obviously, with the sub irritating your mouth, that wouldn't work for you. I used dental work as an excuse to get percocet prescriptions. I even gave myself dry socket to get another prescription.

That nasty nurse may not have been proud of you, but I am!

Amy

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:18 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I completely agree with Amy about that nurse Jess. She should have been congratulating you and giving you a "high five" or "fist bump" for refusing the narcotics! That's just crazy for her to act that way.

But we congratulate you here for sure Jess! That's so awesome you were able to remain committed to going without the drugs! Took a lot of courage to be able to do that and you should be very proud of yourself!!!

I know exactly what you mean about the Ibupfofen working great! When I was abusing handfuls of narcotics I was convinced I needed more to handle any real pain I was in whether it was a toothache, headache, or maybe sore and tired muscles. I really believe the narcotice were adding to the pain, not helping it!

Soon as I stopped the narcotics I found that OTC things like Ibuprofen, mortin, tylenol, and aleve actually worked quite well. No way you would have ever gotten me to believe that before! So happy it worked for you too Jess.

Thanks for your post. It's sure to help others in the same situation as you were.

Karen
xoxo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:32 am 
New Poster
New Poster

It's very painful. I have done dentures few weeks ago but the pain is still there. Eating is also very difficult. But it was great what you have done there saying no to narcotics.