It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Wisdom teeth out HELP
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 12:35 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Ok, so I am going to get my wisdom teeth out very soon, I am now down to about 4 mg of subs daily. When Its time to get them out should I stop taking my subs for a day or two ahead of time? Im afraid that they might not be able to put me under while Im on them. Im afraid that they might give me something that is harmful when mixed with subs. If anyone has had any experience here please let me know!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 7:43 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

My family physician happens to be my Suboxone dr too. He did a colonostapy "spelling?" on me and I needed to be put out. Doc simply told me to not take my Sub the day before, and restart the sub 24 hours after the procedure. He did use an opiate based drug to put me partially out. I never went completely out and remember the entire procedure. I even watched the screen, I just didn't care or feel any thing, LOL. Normal folks go to sleep, but most Sub folks don't cause of the opiate blocker in the Sub. Don't sweat it. It really is no big deal. I always was under the impression that if I took an opiate while on Suboxone that I would get sick. Not true. It just takes a lot more opiates for an affect. Ya only get sick if you take Suboxone too soon after using opiates. Strange drug...
Be sure you tell your ortho surgeon as he may not know about Suboxone and end up not giving you enough medication. Probably wouldn't hurt for your Sub Dr. to call the Ortho doc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 8:03 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Molly and welcome,

Suboxone shouldn't interfere with most anesthetics. Depending on what he uses to put you out, you should go under just fine. You definitely should tell the dentist about being on suboxone. Because if he gives you pain meds after, you'll need more than people who aren't taking suboxone would. And yes, you should stop your suboxone 2+ days before the procedure. You might also want to taper down your dosage before you stop, too. It wouldn't hurt to ask your suboxone doctor about this and get directions directly from her/him.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.