It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Meetings
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:08 pm 

I'm kind of in the middle when it comes to mandatory meetings. AA saved my life back in '87 from such a horrible alcoholic lifestyle that I'll be forever grateful.

Do I still attend? No, not very often. It is on my list of things to do now that I'm all moved into my new house in a new city. The issue now is opiates, not alcohol. Just like Laddertipper said, there is booze in the house that doesn't faze me at all, but how will I do with some Norco's in the cupboard? Meetings may just be the thing to get me through the rough patch. My wife takes Norco and is not an addict. I've asked before for her to lock them up and she's good for awhile then slips back. It won't happen so I must change my thinking.

What I've learned about addiction to alcohol is, the longer you're away from it, the stronger you get to stay away from it. Will the same hold true for opiates? Most would say no. It will always be a temptation. My addict brain wants anything that will make me feel different than what I am feeling at the moment.

Maybe what I really need is an addiction therapist to rattle my comfort zone and get me to do the things necessary to stay clean and sober.

I owe AA my life. But maybe I need to do what Romeo said. Go to meetings for the new addicts/alcoholics.

And of course, never "Take myself too seriously". Rule62

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:26 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

jeff/ romeo/ rule62 that is well said". AA NA sure needs more of you guy's. to help with the new comers . instead of the same o story's in the groups i went too. man i just feel like i needed to say "GOOD STUFF"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:53 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Thank you for the response Dr. Junig, I appreciate you taking the time to adress my concerns in the post I made awhile back. I have since moved into a more "balanced" state mentally. The "honey moon" phase that I was experiencing at the time has subsided a bit, but I still feel amazing and happy to be off everything.

however, I do see some of your points in a different light now that I have had about 4 months off of subs. What I mean by this is that I do have days here and there that bring on some cravings. The cravings I have are actually for suboxone, likely due to the fact that taking subs everyday for over 2 years became a habit and ritual all in itself. Now I do see how this "disease" will take some work to keep in submission.

Although I do not plan on going to meetings I am considering the possibility of seeing a therapist just to talk me through what brings these cravings on and what tools I could use to move past them.

Now on a more positive note, I still do feel as happy and hopeful about life as I did that week I wrote this post. I wake up early for work and am excited to start my day. I have this new optimism that I have never had before, even before the drugs. I have never felt better. The ONLY issue's come in times of bordom or days that I feel overworked and stressed. Its these times that I use to take some suboxone and maybe watch a movie and regroup. Now I have nothing to take so I have to learn how to get through these rare moments. So far I have been successful. The "move a muscle change a thought" saying has actually helped me the most which is ironic considering the tone of my previous post which may have come off a little negative towards AA.

So in conclusion, I do agree more with you now that I have had some time off of the drug. Although, I would say for me seeing a therapist on occasion is more desirable than making a routine out of going to meeings. I think all I need right now is a little guidence but I dont want to make this a big part of my life. Hopefully I will continue on this path and not be one of those patients that says "it wont be me" and then relapses. At the moment I cant even imagine that being a possibility but I do understand it is always a possibility. Thank you.