It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:55 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

for my serious opiate addiction???

I am goin to a rehab on Monday for an interview, and i know I can ask them then. But Im feeling really anxious & really want/need to know. This is a drug & alcohol detox treatment center. I am just worried they will not treat me w Suboxone for maintenance ; ( Im really anxious and worried about this bc I know this is what I need to get off the opiates for good. To not have the depression that follows quitting cold turkey & the cravings that will just make me go out & get more! Do you guys think they will give me this or is it just a maybe? Do all detox treatment centers treat opiate addicts w Suboxone or no??

Sorry if I sound rude or strange. Im already goin through some withdrawals & I feel desperate, anxious, scared, and basically delirious. Thank you for your help!! <3

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:35 pm 

Genbe, you aren't being rude or strange. Welcome to the forum. Best place to find good real answers.
Ive never been to rehab. I went to a sub dr to start my recovery.
Rehabs generally detox and will start therapy and 12 step.
Afterwards you could find a sub dr who would start you on a maintenance program.
I would say you should call your rehab and ask these same questions you have asked here.
Then you d know for certain what you sre getti g into...
Not all rehabs are the same. Nor are tbere treatment plans...

Nope this helps a,ittle razor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:44 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

razor55 wrote:
Genbe, you aren't being rude or strange. Welcome to the forum. Best place to find good real answers.
Ive never been to rehab. I went to a sub dr to start my recovery.
Rehabs generally detox and will start therapy and 12 step.
Afterwards you could find a sub dr who would start you on a maintenance program.
I would say you should call your rehab and ask these same questions you have asked here.
Then you d know for certain what you sre getti g into...
Not all rehabs are the same. Nor are tbere treatment plans...

Nope this helps a,ittle razor

Thank you so much for answering!
Now what do you mean by therapy? Like a tapering sort of therapy w suboxone??
I am so scared ; ( Im losing my insurance in 30 days and I was really hoping to be ready for Christmas bc I dont want to miss another Christmas ; ( (due to my addiction)
I just REALLY hope this detox rehab center will work

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:54 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I just dont wanna JUST detox and be left w the severe depression that will make me a useless person again. I will be so depressed I will either sleep all day, drink heavily, or use again. I want to get out & work asap and enjoy Christmas! Yea they will get me sober, and have to do meetings, But this just this really wont help. Ohhh I really hope they do. Its also a pain in the ass calling them.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:40 pm 

Hello there! Well in my experience when I went to detox and rehab, there's absolutely no suboxone or anything else besides the comfort meds for the first five days of ur detox. The comfort meds were things for ur stomach, a Valium for nerves or whatever, and a mild sleeping pill. After the detox ur med taking is over and suboxone was def not one of them. Now I'm sure there are some places that may offer that but the one I went to didn't. Actually while I was there a girl got kicked out for sneaking suboxone in and got caught. I hope u find what ur looking for and its probably best to just call the rehab and ask, or maybe if they have a website or something. The good news is though if ur rehab doesn't have subs, the detox will totally keep u from being sick. After my five days of detox, i did feel better, they'll make sure that ur withdrawals will be taken care of. Good luck to u!!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:59 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Ok. It doesn't seem like they'll have suboxone =\ thank you for your answers guys

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:33 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Now that a lot of the "flagship" institutions like Hazelden and Betty Ford are starting to embrace long term maintenance on Suboxone & methadone, many others are falling in step. Where I'm from, detox facilities will pretty much MAKE a person with opioid addiction stabilise on drug-replacement, then leave with a script to get their maintenance dose. It's really hard to convince the detox doctor to detox you off all opiates altogether. The benefit of this approach is that less people die as a result of overdose after detox. The downside is that patients end up locked into long term opioid dependency when a percentage may have been able to manage recovery without.

Look around, and you should find a facility that lets you do their program whilst maintained on drug-replacement.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:57 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi there

I totally agree wit Tee Jay here. When I went to rehab, they most certainly gave Suboxone out and Barbituates to help get you off the hard stuff GENTLY.

the whole point of me going to rehab was so I would NOT have to suffer at home with only comfort meds, I needed medical intervention and doctors watching me so I could feel at ease. ( I also was addicted to Benzos so i needed to be supervised so I wouldnt have more seizures from the withdraw)

As long as the doctors monitor you, which they do all day. They give you a steady tapering dose of Subs to help you get off of Opiates and onto A Drug Replacement program.

BTW. I went to rehab in Hunt Texas at La Hacienda. I had a great experience and I never once had any withdraws, because they let me detox at a slow rate with drug replacement meds.

Love that place.

Do some research before you just jump into a Rehab. Some places do not do this, so make sure you ask them questions!! and Good Luck

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:24 pm 

I am from Tennessee, and the rehab I was in only offered comfort meds. Actually, when I came off the detox I wasn't in what u could call withdrawal, but the cravings were awful. I couldn't eat for almost two weeks and cried everyday. The counselor there told me after two weeks I should not be experiencing cravings to the point that it caused me to not be eating and tried to put me on prozac. (Can u believe that??) If I had been to a rehab that offered suboxone, I'd never wanted to leave and enjoyed learning the tools of recovery. Unfortunately my experience was awful. Not all rehabs offer subs. I relapsed after 5 months and finally got into my sub clinic, been happily on em for allmost three yrs. I really hope u find one that is right for u.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:11 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

The rehab I went to last year was an 18 month program. If you went in on Suboxone or methadone, you had two options. If you wanted to stay on drug replacement you would "plan out" / exit the program after 4 months. If you let them reduce you, you could stay for the whole program. I chose to reduce. No "comfort meds" whatsoever. Even after you jumped off, they still made you rake leaves, turn compost and plant veggies all day. It was incredibly hard to get cleared "off the floor" to rest. If you did, they'd only give you half an hour in your room before you had to report for duty again.

SO many people who came off Subs there bailed once they reduced down low or entirely. The cravings were just too much for most people. Those who stuck around like me found that eventually the cravings would subside, and things would get better. I struggled with a lot of suicidal thoughts in those early days post-Suboxone.