It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:55 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Sorry if I'm in the wrong area but I'm new. I'm having surgery on my back for my sciatic nerve. I'm currently on one 2.5 mg strip of suboxone a day and was in the process of completely getting off until the pain became unbearable. Even my Ortho does not think I will be able to manage the first couple days with just subs.

I clearly will not go to my regular pharmacy but will a pharmacy even fill a script for opiates? I don't want to be embarrassed in front of another pharmacist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:24 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I guess it depends on the pharmacy, I don't know. I had a scrip for opiates for a kidney stone when I was on Sub and Walgreens didn't give me any problems about it.

Just make sure your Sub doctor knows about the opiate scrip, I know some members have had their pharmacy contact their Sub doc when they tried to fill an opiate scrip.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject: same
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:45 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

He does and also did not know the answer. This comes at such an awful time because I was going to be sub free for the first time in two and a half years, I was going to start taking a shot that blocks opiates for 30 days (I can't remember the name of the drug of course) and does not have the dependency of suboxone. Now, I'm not as worried about getting hooked on pills again as I am of having to go through the process of getting of suboxone.

I also don't feel like explaining to a pharmacist my life story, thanks for any help you can give. I live in PA so if anyone has experience with this please post.

Thx.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:07 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I got into a car accident and got a narcotic script literally the same day as I picked up my Sub, and no one said a word.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:26 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

When I got a vicoden script for a dental procedure I filled it at the same pharmacy where I get my sub and other meds. the pharmacist did come out to speak to me and said that the vicoden was contraindicated to one of my other meds (the sub, obviously) and he wanted to call my doctor. I told him to please go ahead and do that and went home. The pharmacist called me back within a couple of hours to tell me my script was ready for pickup. So, my impression is that it is up to the doctor and your pharmacist may or may not want to call your doc to verify that he ok's your script. Since your sub doc and your other docs are all fully informed about your conditions and scripts there shouldn't be any problem other than a possible delay while the pharmacist verifies. Of course, I'm not PROMISING this since procedures can vary from pharmacy to pharmacy or even possibly depending on what state you're in, but what I'm saying here has been my experience and is what I understand to expect in this kind of situation. I think you'll have no trouble. I hope you'll let us know how things turn out. Good luck with everything!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:19 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I just filled a script for my subs on July 2 I am having surgery in 4 days I am afraid the pharmacy will give me crap about filling a narcotic script since I am on the subs but I am having major abdominal surgery and need these meds any suggestions,

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:35 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi, it's Queenie, I hope you are all doing well. I think of all of you all the time.

Now, to the subject of prescriptions while on Subs. I had to have prescriptions filled to start taking to stop the Subs before surgery. My drugstore gave me no problem at all. I think, as long as they see another dr. prescribed it, they may give your sub dr. a call. If the sub dr. knows about it(and he should) you shouldn't have a problem. After my surgeries, the Dr.prescribed heavy narcotics upon my leaving the hospital. (I had Femerol Bypasses andputations on different occasions). I still had my subs at home so that when my pain was tolerable, I could transition back to subs. I imagine that if this is happening often, there may be a suspicion of Dr. shopping. However, in cases of accidents and surgeries, I don't see why there should be any trouble.

Good luck and be strong.

To all my forum friends, I love you, I don't forget you, and remember to stay on track. It's not worth it.

Hugs, Queenie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:43 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

yes they should fill the script but they should speak to your suboxone MD
However that being said some pharmacists ( for what ever reason, usually ignorance )may refuse to fill the script, despite having a pharmacist to doctor talk.
I have looked into this and they apparently may have right of refusal to filling any script.however easiest way to deal with this is have your suboxone MD call pharmacy and speak with pharmacist prior to you going in to prevent any issues.

key to preventing problems is having good communication with your suboxone MD