It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:58 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have a friend who I will refer to as me and I to make writing this easier. I have been told to taper down before I start the induction phase and onto Suboxone. However, I have found that once I go up, it never seems like a lower dose works again.

My question is will it make that big of a difference as far as the pain reducing effect of Sub if I taper down on my Diluadid, or will it make that big of a difference with only a few weeks to do it in? I suffer from chronic pain and as I explained a few weeks ago, I have had two fusions and I am going on my 8th week of recovery from surgery.

How long will it take my body to get used to the lower dose and will it ever give me the relief it used to (a lower dose)?

The guy mainlines 10-12mgs a day. I can cut back to 6-8 in two weeks, but things will suck bad.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:12 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey KansasWheat,

From what I'm reading, your question basically revolves around tolerance.

Let's say tolerance to opiates could be measured on a scale of 1 to 100. Suboxone's maximum dose will only address and soothe a tolerance of say 30? If your tolerance is above 30, Suboxone will have a hard time "soothing" you. (I'm completley pulling that 30 number outta my ass, I have no idea where Suboxone would actually fall on a scale like that.)

Most people who use Hydrocodone, even in fairly high amounts, can get on Suboxone without too much trouble because Hydro's only push one's tolerance so high. A lot of people on Oxy's are in the same boat. In my experience, people on H have a much harder time getting on Suboxone because of how high their tolerance is from using H.

As far as Dilaudid, I'm not to sure about those. I've only used them a few times, but they did rock my world when I used them, so I'm gonna say they're pretty strong.

So, here's my short answer....yes, tapering down your Dilaudid use will make getting on Suboxone easier, but how far down you have to taper, I'm not sure.

Hopefully someone with some Dilaudid experience will swing by and give ya some ballpark numbers.