It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:33 am 
New Poster
New Poster

[font=Arial] [/font]
I am currently 20 weeks pregnant and take 1 8mg pill / day of Subutex. My OB/GYN said the I cannot take any pain meds during childbirth b/c the Subutex will block them - is that right? Also, my Dr. Is not sure if I can take an epidural. Does anyone know?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:17 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Danielleandbaby,

First, welcome to the forum and congrats on your pregnancy. I'm not a physician or any other type of medical professional; just an addict recovering with the help of Suboxone.

I doubt the suboxone would interfere with an epidural. I say this because as I understand it, an epidural is more of a "local" anesthetic. Suboxone works with the pain receptors in the brain.

I found this: "epidural anesthesia: regional anesthesia resulting from injection of an anesthetic into the epidural space of the spinal cord; sensation is lost in the abdominal and genital and pelvic areas; used in childbirth and gynecological surgery.

I'm sure others will have some great input for you as well. Good luck and again, congratulations.

Melissa

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:27 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

The subutex will NOT affect the epidural! Dr. Junig had an artilcle about it. Also, I've had surgery while on Subutex. I had my last dose the day before the surgery and I think it was 4 mg. I was given pain meds after the surgery and they worked just fine. You will be able to receive pain mgmt. Your not going to sit around in pain. I would cut your dose down a couple of days before and maybe not take your Sub the day of. I'm not a medical professional either but I do have a little experience in this.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:32 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

http://suboxonetalkzone.com/?p=204

this is an article specifically on the subject of using epidurals while on Sub.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:47 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have delivered two babies while on suboxone and received an epidural both times. They worked beautifully both times and the buprenorphine had no effect on them. I also received Stadol during my first labor and Nubain during my second, both of which worked fine. I received Percocet postpartum this time and it helped. I continued to take my sub. 6mg the day I was induced and I delivered the next day. I started it again the day after I returned home. Some healthcare workers did cause me to worry by telling me that there could be problems with the epidural and so on. They simply didn't understand the pharmacology of the epi and that of suboxone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:28 pm 
Hi Danielle - May I direct you to read "I delivered a healthy baby on Subutex, pregnant again"? It is under this same topic, Suboxone and Pregnancy. There is some good information there about epidurals and pain control for labor and delivery.
Congratulations on your pregnancy. I hope you'll come back and let us know you received our replies. We would love to hear more about you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:29 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I had a beautiful healthy baby on suboxone. The epiderual worked it magic. When I was off the epideral, I took ibprofen and was in NO PAIN!
Please feel free to pm me with any ?s

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:11 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Taking sub will not reduce the efficacy of an epidural.

It can, however, reduce the efficacy of any short-acting narcotics that are given as painkillers via IV--they may not work, or you may need a higher dose to get them to work, etc. This is why it is so important that all doctors that you are working with know that you are taking sub, so that a plan can be in place before you go into labor, and also be in place in case you need a c-section, in which case, post-partum pain control will need to be more rigorous.

I'm only 15 wks now, but my doctors have already suggested an anesthesia consult well before I go into labor. We'll have a meeting in the L&D dept. of my hospital and will have a plan in place. In my situation, I will likely get an early epidural in the hopes that this helps with pain control. If I need short-acting IV medication, it will be clear that I will likely need a higher dose and we'll look more towards fentanyl. But, this is why we'll meet with the anesthiologist before I go into labor, so that we can get the plan in place.

I have had surgery before (planned, on my leg) while remaining on subutex throughout the entire surgery and recovery period. It involved a pre-surgery consult where we decided to use higher doses of IV fentanyl immediately post-surgery while i was in the hospital recovery room and then I used oral diluadid in combo with subutex for pain control at home. It really is so key that you have a plan in place beforehand and that the key players involved know that you are on sub so that things can be planned out, as the medication needs are different.