It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Does Suboxone test positive for opiates in a lab urine analysis?
Yes, It will show up positive for Opiates 23%  23%  [ 222 ]
No, Undetectable 77%  77%  [ 743 ]
Total votes : 965
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:07 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello, I was just recently placed on probation and I have to take urine tests that get submitted to a lab once a week. These tests are intensive and I get tested for Opiates. I've used suboxone during the last 3 days to treat my withdrawals for heroin. So my question is Does suboxone produce positive results when tested for opiates?. Can somebody who's experienced or knowledgeable on lab urine analysis and suboxone please provide me with truthful answer? Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:54 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You need a couple more choices on your poll. The answer is that 'it depends'. I have inexpensive testing strips (3 bucks each) in my office that will tell the presence of buprenorphine (in Suboxone), methadone, oxycodone, hydrocodone... and tell them all apart. There are 'quantitative' tests that will tell the exact amount of the drugs and breakdown products in your system; I actually recently signed on with a company that will take the person's age. size, other meds, etc and tell if they have the right concentration of any drug in their system! So yes, anyone can certainly test for buprenorphine if they want to.

I used to have a kit a few years ago that just had a 'positive' for opiates, and bupe came up positive with it. Since then, every test kit I have used has NOT shown bupe as a positive for opiates. I am asked about testing for employment very often and I always ask the person to get back to me with the info after the test, and so far everyone I have talked to has come up negative for opiates, despite being on bupe.

BUT... a PO is different. He/she might want to know a bit more than the average employer. Plus, in some areas Suboxone has become popular on the street.

The answer is that it is impossible to say, without talking to someone who is tested by the same PO or at least in the same county. Some tests detect it, and some don't. Just an opinion, but at some point you really should consider getting honest with the PO-- you will sleep a lot better. I know you don't want the consequences, but living in fear totally sucks. It IS possible to just explain your need for help-- PO's generally LIKE to be asked for help, as it makes them feel nicer than when they just put people away (although yes, some seem to get off on that as welll).

I'm betting it won't show up... but if you say you are not taking anything and then it does come up, you are going to have some 'splaining to do. Good luck!

Post subject: will suboxone show up
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:55 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have been on suboxone with my current doctor since August of 2007, I have been sober for almost 19 months (you do the math). I was seeing another doc in early 2007 that was a quack if i do say so myself, but he made me take drug screens every 2 weeks to see if there was an opiate presence in my urine, this was a stipulation of recieving my Rx. Suboxone will show up on a drug screen testing specifically for suboxone but in my experience it WILL NOT show up on generic drug screens that just test for opiates.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:37 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

If you have a prescription for that or any other medication I don't see why it should make a difference for most jobs. Of course if it's a law enforcement type job I can see why they may be more discriminating,but still don't think it should be held against you.That's just my opinion of course.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:37 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

As far as I know, you have to test specifically for Suboxone. My doctor has urine screens that check for Suboxone to make sure his patients are taking the medication.

Post subject: does suboxone show
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:18 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

there are certain tests usually only in your doctors office that show up but as far as for work, military, even a P.O it WILL not show up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:33 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I have a story about suboxone showing up in a standard nida 5 panel test! I was on probation for misuse of a financial card and have been caught smoking marijuana so I had to take monthly random U.A's my probation officer knew I was an opiate addict and knew I was on suboxone and he also knew it doesnt show up in a standard drug test. Well he drops me and we go into look at the results and I had a positive for opiates!! and I swear to everything that is good that I was clean and only on suboxone and have been on it at that time for a year! He questioned this but he let it slide because he heard of suboxone causing false positives on tests!! I just think that it is really strange how some tests can pick up suboxone but then again I can kind of understand it, our bodies metabolize chemicals differently!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:20 am 
New Poster
New Poster

im on a clinic that tests for opiates and benzo's and whatever else they test for.the medicating nurse told me that all my tests come back positive for methadone and that's it.but im on suboxone,so im still confused.the only thing i worrie about is staying clean on sub.as far as everything else is concerned,i have no worries. if your on sub and parole/probation tell your p.o. about sub and they may respect you for your honesty.lets face it, that whole sneaky lifestyle has to be left behind.there is no better feeling than walking with your head up high.to me that's what recovery is all about.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:39 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

NO IT DOES NOT. Unless your being tested specifically for it. I just took a pre employment drug screen at Quest Diagnostics Lab and I take 4mgs a day, 2mgs in the morning and 2mgs at night and I passed with flying colors. I start back at work Monday. I used to work for this company years ago but was laid off and am now returning 3 years later. I was worried about it and there was an issue with me taking it before when i worked their. A Fellow employee saw me snorting it and told HR. I faked that test and passed with someone else's urine. This time I did some research and just said fuck it. I was just told tonight that everything came back AOK. So to put it to bed, NO NO NO It does not show up in a standard drug screen. Now I believe it shows up in a 12 panel or a suboxone specific test. But not in a 5-10 panel or a reg home test.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:00 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I took a 5 panel test that included opiates, and came back neg. However, I believe there r specific tests for bup.

Post subject: subs show on test
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:22 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

100 percent not. Only if the specificly test for it. And the only people who test for that are the docs who prescribe them to see if your taking it. But I took about 50 random test in the pat year for my job and they test for evrything and always came clean. Subs won't show. The special test cost like 1000 dollars to check for it anyway. But from experence it will never dome up ona rebular test that test for everythiing.. 100 percent positive

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:48 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

"The special test cost like 1000 dollars to check for it anyway."

Where are you getting this information from? While you are correct that Bup will not show on a typical or standard drug panel test, there most certainly are tests that will include Bup for far less than $1,000. Far, far, far less than $1,000. Where are you getting this information from?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:36 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I once had an issue about the fact that I had a script for Ultram (Tramadol), and *IT* sure did show up for opiates. It just happens to *NOT* be a controlled drug as far as when a person gets a script for Ultram and fills it. A pharmacist did tell me that when they order it though, Ultram is considered a "Control" and or at least in the same category as when they place their orders for CIII's; it just happens not to be a controlled substance on the "Patients" side of things. I've often wondered though, when a doctor checks his or her respective state prescription monitoring system (yea, I believe almost ALL states have one central database (a secured web-site), where the doctor (law enforcement – your PO), and or anyone else that YOU have given a release to be able to look that information up on you), can check a person for any and ALL controlled prescriptions that they've filled going back I would say at least 5-10 years or so.

Anyways, about being on the sub and worrying if it'll show up on an opiate test; I've always been under the impression that if you have a legal, valid prescription for something and to add to it, the doctor scripting someone Sub and or any of the "like" drugs that pertain to addiction/dependence HAS to have an additional special license to write such a prescription. So if anything, having Sub show up, would actually be a "good thing" because one would think that it assumes the person is in treatment/following a recovery plan and I can't see where sub showing up would allow an employer to disqualify someone from employment. I mean, sure there may be exceptions, but a person would be being discriminated against based on again, actual, legal, prescribed medication from a doctor licensed to write "x" med.
Also, there's that nice little thing called HIPPA and from what I've been told, not even your pharmacist can ask you why you are taking the medication that you are being prescribed (unless perhaps circumstances where "doctor shopping" might be considered or unusually large quantities all of a sudden being written, ect). The pharmacist can call the doctor on the script if he/she would like to verify that it's valid, but I'm almost certain that if they get the "ok" that the script you handed in is valid, then their job is to just fill it, and that's where the buck stops, lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:16 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I screen with suboxone specific urine dipsticks (immunoassay) about $1. I also screen with a $4 10 panel urine dip test. Have never had a false positive with buprenorphine testing as any kind of opiate (oxycodone or opiate) or methadone. If I did and needed to verify I would send it out for a mass spectographic confirmation test.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:45 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Suboxone will not show up in a standard drug test. It does not show up as an opiate either. Someone would have to test specifically for buprenorphine. I know for a fact because i get tested at my job and always came clean. Also i went to a dr a while back and he thought i was lying when i said i was on suboxone cause they ran out of the special test strips for it and my urine came clean. I've seen the strips. My doctor showed me my results once and they had meth, coc, opi, pcp, ben, mar, and bup. for all the classes of drugs. i only tested for bup. But as i said before a standard drug test for a job doesn't test for buprenorphine. But if they ever did they have to contact you and then your doctor and once verified you have a prescription will tell your job you are clean (negative).

Post subject: Test for union job
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:49 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I have been tapering down for a year now. Down to 2mgs a day of bupe. I spent 3 days worried sick about a drug test upcoming for a great union electrician job. I've been laid off for 15 months straight and just got carried away with pills to occupy my life. I went to quest labs for the test and everything came back good. So I'm stoked! Hopefully spending 8 hrs at work and 3 hours on the road will help me taper off completely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:37 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have to agree with NIGHT on this one. I operate 2 fishing charter boats and i'm required to take random and bi-yearly drug screening by the USCG. In 8 years I have never failed one. been taking Sub. the entire time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:47 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Far_From_free wrote:
I have to agree with NIGHT on this one. I operate 2 fishing charter boats and i'm required to take random and bi-yearly drug screening by the USCG. In 8 years I have never failed one. been taking Sub. the entire time.

Sounds like you live near a gulf state -- Louisiana perhaps? (I only say that because I was born in NOLA and often visit my Dad in Slidell..LOVE that part of the country).

I was on probation and have taken some urine tests since starting Suboxone. The only one that Suboxone shows up in is the one that my Suboxone doctor gives me to purposely insure it's filtering properly from my system.

Post subject: suboxone and drug tests
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:19 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hey guys iam new to this site and i have a bunch of questions. I will be taking a pre employment drug test soon for a job and iam very very worried. All i take is suboxone and NOTHING else... i have been clean for a year and a half now and only been on suboxone. This job is basically a government job and includes me getting my security clearance soon at one point or another as well while im on the job. I'am going to be working for a private company that is contract based and with the U.S govt. ( my job is basically being a LINGUIST and going overseas and being with the U.S military in the middle east ). Its basically like being a civilian govt employee. Anyways to get to my questions it was : Do you guys think suboxone will come up and show in the drug test ? Do you think bupe will be part of the testing panel for this job ? is it possible it will show up as an opiate because ive heard some say subs are a derivative of THEBAINE ? What type of drug test do you think they give if its for govt employees and what test panel will it be ? Will it be a 10 panel or 12 panel in your opinion ? Ive heard subs show on 12 panels for bupe... and btw iam legally prescribed for subs and when i asked my doc she said it wont show up unless specifically tested for but IDK she seemed really unsure when she said it. If worse comes to worse and they do find subs in the drug test i will show them proof that iam legally prescribed to it and show them the bottle with my info and all but i really hope that doesnt happen because if it does iam basically screwed and they wont hire me because theyll see that iam on suboxone and itll look bad 2 them in their opinion because its used for substance abuse...... can they use that agaisnt me and not hire me if they find out ? sorry guys i know i just asked like 100 questions but im just very worried and nervous and basically cant stop thinking about the situation at all and really need this job... and no i cant go cold turkey and go through withdrawls but if i have to then i guess i will idk ill see. THANKS FOR READING EVERYONE AND THANKS FOR YOUR TIME AS WELL. sorry for being annoying and typing alot and PLEASE HELP MEE!!!! Any advice and expert opinions who know what there talking about would be really appreciated thanks again guys ! hope to hear from ya =]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:49 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

nyknicks -

With a gov't contractor job like that, you just don't know what kind of drug test they'll use. For all any of us knows, it could just be your simple, basic UA and you'll be fine. Then there's the other side of the coin and it will come up. Normally, when a person takes a pre-employment drug test, the lab is the one who confirms that anything that comes up positive is indeed a legitimate prescription. They USUALLY don't report the results - EXCEPT for positive (illicit) results - to the employer. They don't usually give them the details of the meds that they confirmed or didn't confirm. They just report pass or fail to the employer - I think.

Now, again, this could be different with this particular job. Really, NY, all you can do is take the test, cross your fingers, and hope it goes well. It's a damn good job and worth giving it a try. GO FOR IT!

I hope it all turns out in your favor. Please do let us know. AND GOOD LUCK! :)

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.