It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Does suboxone show up on pre employment drug tests? Or do most employers not test for subs?
Poll ended at Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:37 pm
Yes 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
No 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Most employers don't test 4sub 100%  100%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 2
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:37 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I just got hired for a job with Sears in their home improvement department but before I am able to start working for them, I am required to take a drug test. I have been on suboxone for about 6 months now and am on quite a high dose of 4 8mg films a day (for me this is good though. It's what works for me and it definitely beats being on heroin. Also, I am prescribed this by my doctor). I was told that they're hiring two people (myself and another) just in case one person fails the drug test or background check or decides to go with another job etc, which got me worrying because I'm on suboxone. Now I know that because I have a prescription, they aren't legally supposed to discriminate but let's be real, it still happens and especially people who aren't familiar with addiction and recovery and various other reasons. So, for that very reason I've found myself on this forum asking for your guys' opinions/advice/experiences or whatever else you've got that you can tell me. Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:11 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

From my experience with Human Resources (who would have the results of your UA) can't disclose your medical information to anyone else, not even your boss. Even if they happen to test for it, which I doubt, you have a valid RX and (at least mine was willing to) I bet your doc would write a letter letting them know that the drug doesn't impair you in anyway.
I also was worried about taking subs when I started my job 6 years ago. I worried whether or not to disclose it on the forms. In the end I dont think I even disclosed it and I never heard a word about it.

Good luck. But from my understanding (this is the way it works at the treatment center I work at), subs don't show up on regular UA's. We have to test for it separately.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:47 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Thank you for responding :) I've never had to be drug tested for a job before so I really appreciate you letting me know all of that information! Again, thank you tons!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:26 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Most places of employment do a simple panel drug test that mainly test for the main Narcotics like Cocaine, Meth, heroin, barbituates, benzos, Amphetimes, THC. Even thought there are some tests out there that will test for BUP - Suboxone or even Antidepressants. or methadone. Most places do not test for it. But that is not saying they won't by 100% but it is not usual. Unless you are going to be doing alot of driving or delivery work for SEARS., it just isn't tested for.

Oh and agreed with the above poster on the HR dept is not aloud to discuss your medical history according to the HIPAA laws. You can view the law on youtube for a good understanding of the laws and how you are protected.

Good luck on your New job.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:42 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Thank you :) I'm not supposed to be doing any driving on the job, just an appointment setter so after these responses I'm thinking all will go smoothly. I appreciate you replying! About to go take the test today actually! Thanks again!