It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Will sedation go away?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:17 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'm taking this med for treatment resistant depression (its very off-label at the moment but research is emerging for depression treatment). After trying 25+ meds, finally this works! Had several side effects, all went away except pretty serious sedation... at a full dose, I'm afraid to drive as I've been so drowsy I nearly fell asleep several times. Any chance this might go away too??

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:25 pm 

Yes, it will go away once your body acclimates to the medication. How much are you taking? If you are opiate naïve then it should be very little, like maybe .50 to 1 mg if even that. It is very strong in small doses as you have now found out.

Please do not drive until your body has adjusted to the medication or you'll risk yours or someone else's life. Not to mention going to jail as the minimum penalty. Use Uber or a friend, taxi, bus, etc.

Let us know how it's going.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:40 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Yeah, I started at 0.5mg for a couple days, went to 1 mg for a week, then up to 2, but I'm struggling with the sedation at 2 so I've mostly stayed at 1 mg. It's been about a week since I went up to 2 mg, about 2 1/2 weeks on the med overall, so sedation could still go away? I hope so because otherwise this med is pretty perfect for me!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:01 pm 

You should be going down in dosage, not up. Believe it or not, this medication works better in small doses. For pain, they dose it in micrograms. Use only what works, you won't build up a tolerance where you'll need more like pain pills. It does the same job at the same dose every day.

Hope it works for you. I can understand why it does considering it hits the receptors that make a person feel good.

Remember, less is more. Trust me on this one.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:05 pm 

I was going to say the same thing Rule said, u should not be going up in dose. Buprenorphine works without having to go up in doses. Especially if ur not used to opiates. If ur not used to opiates, u should stay under 1mg or at 1mg, that's my opinion but of course I'm not a doctor.

Are u getting a script from a doctor or no? And yes, the drowsy will go away as u adjust to the medicine. But if u keep going up in dose, ur not sticking at one specific dose enough to adjust.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:53 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

It's prescribed by a psychiatrist who has used suboxone successfully with many patients; the target dose most of his patients are at for depression is 2mg, so I'm not going higher than that but he wanted me to titrate up to that from 0.5mg. I actually got anxiety and some tardive dyskinesia at 2mg which thankfully went away, but I feel better at 1 mg so I'm going to stay there. That's great if the sedation wears off, definitely not safe to drive with this drowsiness! Thanks for the replies :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:54 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just to clarify-- it wouldn't be tardive dyskinesia. That happens from antipsychotics, but only after many years ('tardive' meas 'late'). Some antipsychotics will cause extrapyramidal effects, which include akathesia and other 'dystonias' and stiffness--- and they CAN look somewhat like tardive dyskinesia-- but the reason tardive dyskinesia is so feared is because once it starts, usually in a patient on a potent antipsychotic like haldol or fluphenazine, the symptoms worsen as the drug is removed. Patients end up between a rock and a hard place-- stay on meds that lessen the symptoms short term, but aggravate them long term-- or stop the meds and have worse symptoms.

Buprenorphine is not a dopamine blocker (no opioids are opioid blockers), so they do not cause tardive dyskinesia or extrapyramidal effects.

Were you on other psych meds? Or maybe it was the stiffness that can develop after high-dose opioid agonists, although it usually takes very large doses of fentanyl to see that symptom....

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:59 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm so glad you cleared that up, doc. Sounded odd, given what (little) I know about opiates, but I don't have the background to question it directly.

I feel terribly sorry for those who have to take anti-psychotics for many years and decades. Schizophrenia seems very obviously a disease of the brain (though when I was in school this was not nearly so widely accepted). So there's hope they'll come up with better meds...

G.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:03 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Yeah it may not have been TD, it was something very similar though... maybe an interaction with my abilify? The symptoms were exactly the same as when I try to withdraw from abilify, crazy anxiety with the involuntary repetitive movements. But luckily that went away. Glad to hear the sedation will hopefully go away though... it's been three weeks and this is rough with the drowsiness. I see pdoc on Wednesday, hoping maybe he can tweak my adderall or switch ADHD meds to help more with it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:56 pm 

Hi Climber47,

Just wondering how you're doing. Most doctors who prescribe Buprenorphine think they know more than the patient who is taking it. At least mine were/are less informed than we are here. Most of what I tell my doctor is what I've learned either myself or from our own resident Dr. Junig here. You won't find any other website/forum that has the most current up to date information about Bupe. So don't even try the others. We may not know it all but we keep learning more and more as time goes on. You are wise to decide on your own that 1 mg is a sufficient amount to get the job done. Just be nice and honest with your doctor and he too will learn from your experience.

If and when you ever decide to eliminate an anti depressant, please go so slow that a snail will leave tracks on your back. I tried for years to get off of Effexor but kept failing due to the side effects. Dr. J told me to drop 20% or less every 2-4 weeks and not make it a race. With that advice I was finally able to put the drug behind me. My own doctor told me to not even try due to the harsh withdrawal symptoms. Not even a brain fart (explosion) doing it the slow way. And if I ever need to go back on one I won't be afraid of it anymore. If it takes a year of tapering, so be it.

Let us know once you have stabilized and how it is working out for you. I'm glad you found something that works, even if it is off label.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:35 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Well it's almost three weeks on buprenorphine, all but the first two days at 1mg (except the few days I tried 2mg)... I'm definitely doing better! The depression isn't totally gone, but life is definitely brighter. If life before was a bitter cold, windy storm with torrential rains, now it's more like mildly overcast. I'm much more functional, I can actually get off the couch and interact with my two young kids, I'm getting more done... sure, I could be "happier," but from where I was this is a huge improvement! I'm still struggling with fatigue, but I struggled with that before, too. I get some brief, mild waves of anxiety but it's totally manageable.

I really appreciate the prompt and informative replies... it's so hard to find info on this med! I'm still is disbelief that it's working, I really thought no medication would ever help me... I know this med is a little controversial for depression but given my experience I really hope more research goes into this so more people like me can benefit!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:01 pm 

We have definitely heard of using buprenorphine for treatment resistant depression before. There have been a few that are trying it out for depressive symptoms. It hasn't worked for everyone. Then there is at least one long term member (Raudy??) who has noted that buprenorphine works for his addiction and his treatment resistant depression.

I hope that it can be prescribed as an anti-depressant someday, without the subterfuge of it only being prescribed for addiction purposes.

Very happy to hear that your life is on an upward swing. :) Kids are only little for such a short time. (Forgive me for being a bit maudlin, but my "baby" is about to graduate from high school.)

Amy