It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:50 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

1) So, most importantly - will I pass a DOT drug test. I don't know if they do an 8-panel of a 12panel but it's DOT anyone have info? 2) Should I take a chance and disclose that I take Suboxone on the pre-test form? Let's assume they do test for Suboxone, the test comes back positive , I share that I have a legal prescription with the doctor, will he say that I passed to the employer? Will the employer learn that I'm on Suboxone? This is so damn frightening. I've been on Suboxone for 5 years, it saved my life, my doctor is a God, but I want to work but really fear having to disclose this info to employers, especially with a DOT test. Someone please chime in, how do I handle this going forward?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:54 pm 

It depends on what category of driving you'll be doing. If it's a commercial A/B license then you are not protected by the laws of discrimination. (see link)

If it is a regular class C type license then you should be fine. Your personal medical history is protected by HIPPA laws and I would only disclose the fact if asked directly after the drug test. Most drug panels don't look for Buprenorphine so the percentages are on your side.

Amy posted this link a few days ago but it's worth posting again. Very valuable information in it. Read the whole pamphlet, it isn't very long.

http://www.samhsa.gov/sites/default/files/partnersforrecovery/docs/Know_Your_Rights_Brochure_0110.pdf

rule

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:35 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Well after reading the pamphlet, I am not at all encouraged. Specifically this portion of the pamphlet:

Federal regulations pertaining to the issuance of commercial drivers licenses do disqualify individuals in MAT. Though these rules might appear to conflict with Federal anti-discrimination laws, they are enforceable because of the rules concerning conflicting Federal laws.

Commercial Drivers Licenses. Regulations implemented by the Federal Highway Administration of the United States Department of Transportation (DOT) disqualify individuals from receiving an interstate commercial driver’s license if they are taking methadone. Consequently, it is not illegal discrimination for DOT to deny an interstate commercial driver’s license to someone because of their participation in MAT. The regulations do not address buprenorphine. Commercial driver’s licenses for intrastate (within one State) driving are determined by State laws, which may vary.

I am quite concerned about the DOT Test because they can discriminate. I don't use methadone, but I can't imagine them extending any protection to me if they can get away with it. This really stinks. I would like to leave this thread open and ask anyone that has any info on DOT tests or commercial driver's licenses to chime in here with what they have to offer.

I'll post again if I learn more. Thanks.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:32 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I'm curious. Did you find out about the DOT test and whether or not they test for bup? About 6 years ago I wanted to go to truck driving school and do that for a living. What stopped me was just what you mentioned. They don't let anyone on methadone drive so that shut my truck driving dreams down.

They sure make it hard for us don't they......

megster

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:34 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

megster wrote:
I'm curious. Did you find out about the DOT test and whether or not they test for bup? About 6 years ago I wanted to go to truck driving school and do that for a living. What stopped me was just what you mentioned. They don't let anyone on methadone drive so that shut my truck driving dreams down.

They sure make it hard for us don't they......

megster

No more info at this time. Will advise.

Thanks.
CG.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:19 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

During the past couple of months I have called the occupation medicine clinics locally. Neither test for Buprenorphine.
I have people driving company vehicles but not sure if they needed a CDL.
Consider just calling the clinic that will do your DOT physical and ask.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:34 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thanks for the info! will do.

megster

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:01 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have a patient on buprenorphine who went to school and became a truck driver. I don't know all of the different licenses, but he drove semis on long routes-- from Wisconsin to cities on the east coast. He started this job two years ago, and never had any problem with taking buprenorphine. I don't know, though, if that is because it was OK to take it-- or if they just didn't measure for it. I suspect it was the latter, because I don't remember talking or writing to anyone about him taking buprenorphine (as I often do in cases where buprenorphine does show up in a drug test).

Unfortunately though, the person was arrested for DUI about 8-10 months ago, coming home from a party in his personal vehicle on one of the very rare times that he ever drank. His truck driving career is over-- just when he felt like his life was getting into a good rhythm.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:35 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

If you search the, I think its federal regulations, on DOT drug testing, 40.49, think section 40.85 says they must test DOT specimens for the standard 5 panel test, and must NOT test for any other drugs. And that was the most current regulations I believe from 2015. But I dont know for sure but thats what it says.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:18 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey thanks for that info Loudoglbc86@ There is an opportunity for me to go and obtain this license, for free, and work at a decent job. I have not pursued this opportunity for fear that the job will find out that I am on medication. I should probably do it now before they change the laws. This is a good thread we should keep it open just in case more folks have info to offer. Thanks so much everyone.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:48 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

The DOT DOES NOT test for bup. They do a 5 panel drug screen. They can, however, pull up what narcotics people are prescribed through the national data base.