It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:27 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I have 3 slipped discs and so many other back problems. Today I take a new MRI. Even the suboxone does not take away this pain. I was on Subutex for a month and suboxone for a week, this last week was 8mg. If I did choose back surgery, at this point, would another opiate instead of taking sub throw me into withdrawal? I thought you only went into withdrawal when you were on other opiates and did not wait to be into mild to moderate withdrawal and took a sub. At this point I have not had a sub for 25 hours. I am just trying to understand this. I have read several websites and I am finding conflicting information. Please let me know if I was to take an opiate at this point, would I go into withdrawal? Thank you for your support, silcott1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:01 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi silcott, sorry about your back. You were correct that you would only go into precipitated withdrawal if you were switching abruptly from a full agonist to Sub. Going in the other direction, the only issue is needing enough opiate to work with your high tolerance. Suboxone maintenance is roughly equal to 60 mg oxycodone per day. Some people have reported feeling withdrawal symptoms on low doses of pain meds. I was on about 15 mg of hydrococone every 4-6 hours after a car accident and I felt OK, but I think the ibuprofen I was taking did more for my pain. If you are having surgery there are some guidelines posted in the links section. Hope you feel better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:52 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Lilly is right. If you switch to a full agonist opiate from suboxone you will not go into withdrawal. Just the other way around. As she said, the only concern is your tolerance from the suboxone as well as if the opiate can "break through" the suboxone blocking effect.

As for your back pain, I'm not surprised suboxone isn't helping it. It helps pain to a degree - makes it tolerable - but doesn't do so much with severe pain. I hope you can get some relief soon. Good luck and take care.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.