It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:54 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I have chonic pain and That is how I became hooked to pain meds. My question is will I have to stay on suboxone forever?

I see here lots of people talk about tapering and jumping.

I dont think I will ever beable to go back to pain meds because they were to the point that they didn't help me anyways. The more I would take 2 hours later the pain would be back and the circle continued.

Is suboxone gonna stop helping with the pain?
Will I have to take more after awhile?

Thanks for all the help!!
9 Days clean :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:10 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You are the only one who can decide how long to stay on suboxone. I can tell you how things are for me and I, too, take suboxone for my chronic pain. I see it this way - I'll have this pain for probably the rest of my life and because of my addiction - which will never go away - I can never go back to taking full agonist opiates. So that leaves me with my muscle relaxers and suboxone. These help to make my life and pain manageable. So for me, if I need to stay on sub for life - then so be it. Also, to me it's just another one of the meds I have to take. I don't feel tied down to it, nor do I feel the need to be "FREE" from it AT ALL. In fact, I've never even understood that thinking, but that's beside the point.

As for having to take more suboxone later on to keep addressing your pain, no, you shouldn't have to do that. Now according to Dr. Junig, all pain meds, including suboxone, might stop working over time. However, I've been on the same dose of sub for almost three years and am still getting the same pain relief. I figure I'll just wait and see what happens. I sure hope it doesn't change.

I hope this helps you a little bit. Take care.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:25 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I remember my doc saying if it's working for you and you're not having side effects then what's the downside? I would say the same thing to you. If it helps your pain, and you don't want to go back to painkillers and you're not having any serious side effects then why even question it? If it does stop working sometime down the road, than you will have to cross that bridge when you come to it. I know it appears that a lot of people are going off, but I think that's only because people like to talk about it when they're going off. I would guess that there are even more people staying on that have no reason to go off.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:40 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Thank ya'll for the replies,
I truely am greatful for this site it has given so much information!!! I want to thank everyone for taking the time to answe our questions I will let my suboxone clinic know about this site so they can inform others about it.I have been watching the vidoes and that is giving me tons of help.

The hard part for me is my mom and uncle live across the street and they are both on pain medication and I had to ask them to stop talking about pain meds around me. You would think they would understand what i'm going through. She even asked me to pick her script up today and I was floored by that request.

So I will depend alot on this site of support.

Post subject: Chronic Pain
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:24 pm 

Just like Hat said, it's a choice we all have to make. In my case, my back and neck problems have improved to the point of not needing strong opiates to help deal with it so I'll end up getting off the Sub at some point.

Getting off of it scares me because what will happen if I need pain meds later? I can't take opiates anymore and if I'm off Suboxone then what does that leave?

Another thing is one's doctor. Mine wants all his patients off. But maybe he was referring to only addicts and not pain patients. I really don't know if he'd let me stay on it for life or not. Maybe I'll ask him that question next visit.

If you need it, stay on it and don't think twice. No one should judge you for seeking pain relief.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:48 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I think their is a big difference between those of us who are on sub for pain and addiction than thosw who are just on iy for addiction. I think both should have the choice to stay on sub as long as they see fit. I think the people who speak of being free of it all are typically on it just for addiction and feel they would like to try to make it drug free. Those of us who take it for pain as well don't really have many options. We are stuck with 2 choices 1) stop sub and live with the pain or 2) stay on sub and use it to control our pain. I think option 1 makes the most sense, unless of course you feel your pain has improved or you are having some bad side effects that would make you rather feel the pain than the side effects.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:26 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Ive been on suboxone 9 days and to tell you the truth I was a nervous wreck just thinking about the pain without my pain medicine. I was very suprise to find that sub's would help with the pain.

I knew very little about this medicine besides reading a little on the internet. My doctor did not give much information except that it was not for pain it blocked your pain, until finding this site I was clueless want I was getting myself unto.

JUST SO GLAD TO NOT HAVE TO COUNT MY PILLS AND RUN OUT 2 WEEKS BEFORE MY NEXT SRCIPT, running around trying to track them down no matter what the price :cry:

I will let my sub clinic know about this site so others can get correct info about it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:31 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I have been on prescribed opiates since 2005 for botched surgeries and a horrific mva.

I have been on narcotic rotation since 05, on any narc imaginable. I finally this year developed tolerance at about 10 days and interdose withdrawal. I said enough. I found my great Suboxone doctor and tapered from 8mg to .06mg in 30 days.

I am off 15 days now and I will admit I have some spinal pain, but it is helped by OTC stuff. I have read all about,
Hyperalgesia on opiates and you should as well. There is always an answer. People develop tolerance to Suboxone and Methadone and every other opiate. Some day there will be something developed that will allow people to be pain free, without the side effects.

In my case, I am hopeful that I can get some sort of life back. I couldn't on opiates, alcohol or cigarettes. I am on day 15 and besides some spine pain and insomnia, I am doing very well. Taper slow, but don't get stuck. Go as low as possible before you jump off of Suboxone at least below .125mg. All my best and good LUCK! I also believe nothing lasts forever, Never say Never.....there is always an answer, even if you give it an honest chance and cannot live in pain, there is ALWAYS the answer of stuff like Suboxone.....
Robin

Post subject: I don't think so....
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:51 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I don't agree that you build a tolerance to Suboxone. I have been an opiate addict for almost 10 years, and as soon as nothing else worked (from building a tolerance) I went to methadone. Once on methadone, I went from 10 to 100 MG within 1 year. I built a tolerance FAST. Since being on Suboxone, I have been able to decrease my dose, and now I have been on a stable dose for 2 years with absolutely no indication that a tolerance is being built.

Maybe it just takes longer with Suboxone.... I don't know..but it doesn't seem that you build a tolerance with it ,and that is one reason why it is so flipping amazing! No more running out of my script early spending all my money and time finding my fix.....now if anything you have some suboxone left over!

It is amazing.

Anyways, has anyone ever had experience with building a tolerance with suboxone? I hope it never happens.

And I in no way feel like Suboxone is a crutch. I have a disease....it has to be treated. If i have to be on it for life, so be it. If i was a diabetic, could I just stop taking my insulin? No...I could not.

I went from begging for money on the street everyday for my drugs...having nowhere to live, no where to go, and living a life unable to handle the atrocities of a forthcoming future belonging to me

And now....I am a college graduate with one degree and on my way to earn another. Thank God, and thank you for Suboxone!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:27 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

i agree with meleko". i been on suboxone for 18 months, and had problems down the raod with it. not so much the tolerance type. i believe suboxone works 98 % like it is suppose too. if i had been on the pain meds i was on before subs". in the duration of 18 months i would have been on an unbelievable high dose of pain medication.

Post subject: dose
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:21 am 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Meleko, JohnBoy, what dose of Subox do you take and how long have you been at that dose? Anita

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:17 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I also agree that people don't develop a tolerance to suboxone - UNLESS you're talking about taking it for pain. Then, according to Dr. Junig, it is POSSIBLE that over time suboxone might stop working for pain purposes. But as for using it for addiction, there is no tolerance building - by that I mean, it doesn't take more suboxone over time to get the same desired effect.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.