It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:53 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I am posting this question after reviewing other posts under "will getting a script for suboxone come back to haunt me". First, I am taking suboxone (only 4 mg per day) in order to taper off the vicodin I have been taking for neck injuries and degenerataive discs for the last 8 + yrs. I have been taking suboxone for about a year. I use a different pharmacy to get the suboxone filled, one I don't usually use. I have tried to be as discrete as possible, I pay cash (I could have filed on ins.) about $300 mo. because I know once an insurance company gets their hands on the info. they never forget, and this info. is collected in databases and valuable to them and used for their benefit. Also, I want to be able to use pain meds in the future if I need to. I admit taking a vicodin sometimes while taking suboxone and it works fine, never made me sick. I have done what works for me.
Today, I found out that my regular pharmacy told my orthopedic doctor that I take Suboxone and discouraged him from refilling one of the prescriptions that he usually writes for me. This tells me that somewhere out there my medical information is available to the pharmacist's everywhere and that my privacy has been breached at some level. I don't understand how my usual pharmacy found out about the Suboxone I had filled elsewhere and is able to inform my doctor about it without violating my privacy. Can someone please explain?? thank you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:12 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Oh wow, that is really strange. Maybe the one pharmacy called the other? Or your ortho's office called the wrong pharmacy by accident. Or sometimes if Dr's or pharmacists suspect something they will call around to different pharmacies to see what you have filled. And they are allowed I'm pretty sure, some kind of loop hole. But, that is interesting. I too am wondering how they found out.
I don't have much good advice. I am a bit concerned that you are still taking the Vicodin with the Sub. I know it doesn't make you sick, but how long are you planning to be on the sub? Are you afraid of relapse once you come off of it? Or are you on the sub for pain management? But, I understand you are doing what works for you.

Of course there's such a thing as angels. Only sometimes they don't have wings... and we call them mothers. -Unknown

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:53 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi oreo and welcome to the forum. I can understand why you would be upset, I would too - I think anyone would. I can't offer you any concrete information about your situation, but I might be able to speculate. I think there might be a main database between pharmacies - at least I've heard that. And to my knowledge it's acceptable for pharmacies to share medical information with one's doctors - they say it's for the benefit/health of the patient. I think that's how they get around privacy laws. Keep in mind this is only speculation - nothing more. Plus there's the DEA database to consider.

If I were you I'd be totally honest with your doctor, in an attempt to repair whatever damage has been done to the relationship. I'm curious, are you on suboxone for addiction, dependence, or pain control? Since you're still taking full agonist pain meds I'm not understanding why you take the suboxone. Oh, and taking pain meds while on suboxone won't make you sick, it just makes the pain meds not very effective.

Perhaps if you share more of your story we might be able to give you more detailed advice/information. Again, welcome to the forum. I hope you find this place as supportive to your recovery as I do.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:30 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Actually, my best guess here is that you live in a state that has a prescription monitoring database. More and more states are moving to these and several, including Illinois, Maine, Tennessee, Minnesota, California, Virginia, have them and there are many more being set up. That is only a partial list by the way. Who has access varies from state to state but in general physicians and pharmacy both have access into the database. Every time you fill a prescription for a controlled substance the information is placed into the database. For example, I love to read a blog called Dr. Grumpy in the House, who I think is hilarious. Anyhow, here is a recent post from him:

Lost your Percocet script? Sorry, dude. The state database shows you filled it yesterday. I LOVE THIS POWER! BWAAAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

You have to read the blog to "understand" Dr. Grumpy and he really is not on a power trip but I think this very clearly provides an example of a state prescription database in action.

Now, for the rough stuff. You can look at what happened in your case in a couple of different ways. The person in recovery may look at it and realize that the pharmacist is looking out for their best interest and trying to work with their docs to provide them with the best healthcare. The addict may look at all of this as the pharmacist messing up his opportunity to obtain more narcotics. I do not believe that sharing this information with your doctor is a HIPAA violation, but pretty much no one totally understands HIPAA so who the hell knows - it actually could be. I just don't think that it is.

The huge increase in prescription drug abuse is pushing many states and the federal government to try to do something. For example, I just saw a graph from Ohio where drug related deaths stood at 327 in 1999 and had risen to 1,436 in 2008. It is stats like these that are pushing states, law makers and healthcare providers to institute prescription databases and pharmacists to relay information to healthcare providers. If you are on Suboxone for opiate addiction, that is a great thing. It really is. However, your other physicians should be aware of this and you really should not be taking other opiates for pain while you are also taking Suboxone - for a variety of reasons. It does suck that your other doc had to find out this way. Then again, you very likely will not be the first patient of his that something like this has happened with. Hopefully you will be able to work with the doc. Having worked in healthcare for over 20 years I can tell you that it is very frustrating when patients don't help you to help them. Withholding information just is not a good idea in the long run. If you can't be honest with your doctor, perhaps you have the wrong doctor. If you didn't tell your orthopod because he then would not give you narcotics, you may have to ask yourself, what is wrong with this picture?

Anyhow, we could go much more into all of this but that will be your choice. You were more asking how they found out and this is my best guess to answer that question for you.

By the way, if anyone wants to check to see if their state has a drug database, you can try here:

http://www.nascsa.org/stateProfiles.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:45 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Don, as always, you've provided us with excellent information. You really are a wealth of knowledge. That definitely explains everything. My state, Michigan, also has a "Prescription Monitoring System" that I wasn't aware of. Always good to know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:10 pm 
I have Caremark prescription insurance which is owned by CVS. I found out that they have access to all my prescriptions, even the ones I filled at my local no-name pharmacy because I wanted to keep them off the record. If you have prescription insurance, the company has accesss to all your prescription records. That being the case, you might as well let them pay for the Sub. Also, when I got in an accident I got scripts for oxy and vicodin. I thought I would be denied because I had just filled a Sub script the DAY of the accident. But they did fill it - no questions asked. Go figure.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:37 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Thanks to everyone who replied to my question about whether a suboxone script would come back to haunt me --even if I paid for it myself (without ins. involvement) and as quietly as possible, and no one has been hurt by this. The reason for trying suboxone is because I was taking too much Vicodan, and it is the only thing that gives me any relief for my pain, and I wanted to cut back and see if suboxone would work on both the pain and the excess pain meds. I told my prescribing (suboxone) physician that I was taking too much Vicodan, he told me it would work for the pain too. Even though he probably expected me not to take Vicodan anymore, I chose to do what works for me. I'm sorry but I have kind of lost faith in most doctors, ins. companies, drug companies and everyone in the chain of distribution (so to speak), they are all in this for the money or profit, and so why can't we just focus on our quality of life and if it means we have to figure out what works for us and makes us the most productive, so be it.
I was never dishonest with my ortho. doctor, I just never told him I started taking suboxone in order to cut back on the vicodan. Now I will have to try and explain to him what I just told you.
I have a good friend who is a pharmacist at the store I get the suboxone filled, and I asked him point blank how another pharmacist in another store would know about it, esp. when I didn't file it on insurance. He told me about the database that has been around now for about 2 years, required now by the DEA, where all controlled substances must be recorded. According to him, all pharmacists have access to it, as well as all physicians. :roll: What really bothers me is the new, pompous, self-righteous pharmacist decided to look me up on the database to see if I was getting other meds from other places. I think he didn't like me having such easy, plentiful, access to the meds I take, so he found a way to make it more difficult by making sure my other doctor found out about the suboxone. this particular pharmacist and I did not get along at all, however, the other pharmacists in the store always bent over backwards to make sure I was treated with high respect at all times. I truly believe that some pharmacists (like him) are on a power trip and when the opportunity presents itself to bully someone by making it more difficult to get the meds they have become used to taking, they enjoy taking that opportunity and feel a sense of power for whatever inadequacies they are trying to overcome. I had been consumed with vengence for this jerk pharmacist, now I am relieved just by getting it off my chest in this forum. These things are better left alone and will eventually disappear. Thanks everyone for your help and support. If I didn't answer everything you asked, please let me know. I really appreciate the feedback.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:23 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have good insurance - I elected to pay cash for my doc visits, filled my prescriptions at the doc's office, paid cash for those too.

The sub doc's office did a urine drug test every visit. Last year, they did the test in house. This year, they switched to an outside lab. I got DENIALS from my insurance company stating that labwork submitted would not be paid because it was not an approved lab. HUH???!!!! I never had them bill my insurance, NEVER GAVE THE SUB DOC MY INSURANCE INFO!!! I wanted this OFF THE RADAR, and it was worth thousands of dollars out of my pocket to keep this under the radar.

Turns out that the urine test had some fine print on it which allowed the lab to bill my insurance. Even though they didn't have my insurance information, they had enough information about me to determine my policy number and employer and send my insurance company a bill.

How will this affect me? I guess that there is no way to know for now, but I have MANY concerns about this. I'm looking at this as a positive - I am definitely not going back to the sub doc, will be jumping off in a couple of weeks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:24 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Even my county has this monitoring in place, specificaly for narcotics. To answer your question, yes. I think it may come back to haunt you, i know it has me.

I did just like you, seperate pharmacy, cash only etc. Then at the urging of my sub doc, I also told my main doc. What was i thinking? I expected some degree of understanding. Instead all I got was my main doctor covering his a$$ by making sure he had no cupability, and then essentially washing his hand sof me. Oh that was after berating me for abusing narcotics and mostly for choosing to use Suboxen. In my case, my doc was ignorant of opiate abuse and sub treatment. As a result, my decision to seek care will haunt me forever and has already resulted in being denied insurance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:40 am 
Part of the new healthcare legislation is that insurers can not deny you for pre-existing conditions. The problem is it doesn't take effect right away. So unfortunately we're in that in-between time where they can still use it against us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:33 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

theyre practically begging for blk markt suboxone with these disproportionate draconian invasive druglaws.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:06 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Oreo, I understand your frustration and I hope all works out in the end. But....Saying you were not dishonest because you chose not to tell you doc something is flat out wrong. Lying by omission is still lying. Doctors can only go on what we tell them. We can't tell them bits and pieces and expect to get quality health care. I hear tons of doctor bashing on this forum, and I've had my share of bad experiences too, but doctors today have to deal with a world of shit that they didn't have to 10 years ago. My psych. tells me for every 5 min. with a patient he spends 20 min. dealing with paper work, most just to cover his ass. And believe me most of these doctors do not make half the money you think they do plus work 70-80 hours a week. All that and then have someone giving them part of thier story and expect miracles, it's crazy. They are just people, not gods. Best of luck, hope it all works out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:59 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I dont hear tons of doctor bashing on here but I don't fucking care if they have to fill out a bunch of paperwork to cover thier ass........I don't believe not telling a doctor you are on suboxone is lying by ommission. I don't run around screaming to anyone that will listen to me that I am a drug addict and I take suboxone. If I go to a doctor- for example for a spider bite is it really necessary for me to say "now listen doc you should know that you should start treating me different now because I am not just a patient with a spider bite.......I am a drug addict who takes suboxone." Let the whispering and judging begin.....I am responsible for my own recovery....if a doctor says I am going to write you something for pain...it is up to me ...me...to say that's fine but please make it non narcotic....I just can't take those narcotics. Yes some people have bracelets or cards in thier wallet in case of an emergency but it is my choice if I tell them or not. I hate going to AA meetings and seeing people with AA bumper stickers and what not...if you want to tell everyone your an alcoholic...thats your choice. I don't have a bumper sticker that says "Suboxone saved my life". So if I choose not to tell a doctor and broadcast to the world that I am an alcoholic and drug addict that does not make me a liar........This is a personal and private matter to me. Do we honestly believe we will never take medicine for pain....we will have surgeries....accidents...and a need for pain med..it is then our choice to decide to tell our doctor what we take....if they have access to the database thy probably already know but I take exception to being considered a liar for failing to omit that I take it........just like every person tells thier doctor they are a "social drinker"........Really. As you can see from this forum the one guy who was honest with his Primary and the doctor started ripping on him and canceled him as a patient. If my doctor talked to me like that not only would everyone in the place hear what I would have to say to him but thy would probably would have to call the police to ask me to leave. I don't fucking care how much work the doctor has to do....or all the bullshit they have to deal with....I work with the public and have to do the same........this is my choice to tell or not and to accept a prescritption that I know will jeopardize my recovery.
Just so you know that I have shared more with my last two doctors about suboxone then they know about all from reading this site....not talking to a drug rep for 5 minutes.....or taking their ceritfication class......by the way my doctor lives in a 2 million dollar home on the lake........but maybe he inherited the money.....I guess that covers my thoughts on the lying by omission................

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:59 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Reraise... We are not talking about a spider bite, we are talking about getting suboxone from one doctor and then having another write a script for hydro. No one is that naive to think that is ok. And what is all the judging and whispering when a doc finds out you are on suboxone. Do you really think we are that important that a doctor or thier staff cares that we are addicts. That is a huge ego to think people are talking about us and judging us when we leave the room. You seem very angry and paranoid towards the medical community, maybe you have good reason to be, I don't know, but what I do know is that the world is not out to get you. You are not a victim, you are a drug addict which comes with some baggage, accept it and move on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:37 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I must say that I agree with ReRaise on this one. Dr. J just wrote a blog entry entitled "Medical bias against addiction". Between his experiences, those of the people on this forum, and my own...I believe there is indeed a problem with medical personnel having issues with people once they learn about those patients' use of suboxone. That problem could manifest itself in many ways, including insufficient pain control and judgment/discrimination, to name only a couple.

Just my two cents.

(PS - This is merely my opinion as a MEMBER of this forum, not as a moderator.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:46 am 
Smoothy - I think you must have missed ReRaise's recent thread about his horrible ER experience. If you go back and read it you'll know exactly where he's coming from.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:57 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Your a drug addict....accept it and move on......really. Listen ask anyone you know that works in an emergency room or our friendly pharmacist we are not treated the same.... period.....I don't expect miracles when I go to the doctor......I am not paranoid.....I am merely passing on my experience which is very similar to others and your point was not about getting drugs from one doctor while on suboxone.......your point was letting another member know you thought they were a liar....I take exception to that........
Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:49 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

My point was not to piss anyone off but to point out that WE are the problem. I know it's not going to be a popular theory on this board but it's the way I see things. I always try to look at situations from both sides whatever the issue. The fact is most doctors don't know much about addiction and recovery. I wish every doc was as well informed as Dr. J., but they are not. We are the ones who would see dozens of different doctors and lie and exagerate our pain to get our meds. After lying and cheating doctors for years and years we can't expect a nice attitude from them or thier staff. It's like walking up to a co worker and punching them every day for a year then one day they hit back and we get offended. Maybe not the best metaphor but I hope you see my point. Of course nobody likes to be treated poorly by thier doctors or pharmacy it's just not going to happen over night. And what is so horrible about calling someone out when they are lying to thier doctor, how would anyone have a problem with that. I have many people in my life who will tell me when I'm being an asshole or when my motives aren't pure. I don't like it at the time but it always helps me in the long run. This forum can be so lovey dovey some times, and while I agree there is a place and time for that approach in recovery, I also think the best thing we can do for each other is be honest. This is life and death for most of us and in the past 7 years I have been to around 25 funerals of people who gave themselves to this disease. I do not nor will I ever hold back the truth for sparing someones feelings. We are not helping anyone if all we do is agree with everything the member posted about. Hope someone out there see's my point to all this, if not it wouldn't be the first time. Everyone, hope you had a good holiday weekend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:37 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

We are the Problem...........we....have a disease that is killing us and we take medicine that is helping keep our disease in remission. Calling someone dishonest or a liar becasue they did not share they were an addict with an ortho doctor does not make them a liar........which was my point. I did not hear an apology just a bunch of excuses as to why you think the way you do. For some of us we have been in remission for awhile and the stigma of being treated a certain way is not and should not be tolerable anymore. I promise you I am treated diffferent when I tell that I take suboxone......usually I have to explain what it is......to a pharmacist...this cracks me up because they should know that suboxone is helping us get better not high.......and if someone is in pain they of course have the right to get proper treatement. Not sure what you mean by lovey dovey......but if we are going to compare egos take a moment to reread your post on this thread. This person opened up and was honest with a support group of people who take suboxone.........not be judged by the very people we are talking about. I have attended AA and we have a few self rightous pompus assholes who feel it is their job to tell people what a piece of shit they are for thinking or doing things they do and they are far the most miserable people I know......they have nothing I want. It is clear we have gotten off topic from this thread with this belly bopping but as I said before I take exception with calling this member a liar......that's it. Any other wise suggestions you can PM me and I will file them accordingly.

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:46 pm 
Hey Smoothy! I see your point....I really do. I, like you, try really hard to see things from all possible perspectives. And I agree that there is plenty of healthcare professional 'bashing' around here. I also agree that while patting every poster on the head and telling them they're okay and what they're doing is okay may seem like the more sympathetic and 'kind' thing to do, is it really helping them or not? Sometimes, in my opinion, it is not. Further, it seems that calling attention to someone who has posted something that is off-base or incorrect, will get you slammed real quick around here....whether what you've said is essentially right on the money or in some cases easily proven to be accurate.....it doesn't seem to matter, you've stepped on someone's toes, they don't like it and therefore....you're the bad guy. Been there, done that! It seems that protecting people's feelings is more important than telling them the truth sometimes.
Now, before I get everyone all pissed off at me (again), please allow me to finish. I think Smoothy is 100% right, in my opinion, the poster who obtained Suboxone to treat his 'overuse' of hydrocodone, yet continued to see his other doctor and receive more hydrodone.....was dishonest. Period. I will not call anyone a "liar", and I don't really think Smoothy did either. But what that poster did was dishonest and put himself and his doctors at risk. I am not slamming him....we've all done the same damn thing.....lied, scammed, exaggerated, and so on to get what we wanted. But hey, if you're in treatment for opiate addiction and taking Suboxone, I think that's a little more than "just not disclosing" as if it were some detail like getting an antiobiotic for a skin infection. In which case, I probably wouldn't mention the Suboxone because it has NO bearing on the issue at hand. Like ReRaise and his spider bite. In that case I don't think ReRaise did a single thing wrong by not disclosing his Suboxone use. It shouldn't have had anything to do with his treatment. But I'm sorry, Oreo, while I understand your desire to direct your own medical care, I don't see how you could think that it was okay to keep getting scripts for hydro while on Suboxone. Just the way you went about doing it, to me showed dishonesty, in my opinion....using a seperate pharmacy, not filing it on your insurance and so forth.
I agree.....It is maddening to know that "big brother" (whoever that is) seems to be able to easily know all of our business. But that's the way it is, almost everywhere now. If nothing else good comes from this thread, I hope it's that everyone will realize this......There is no more sneaking around with regards to prescriptions, doctor visits, insurance companies, etc. Donh just posted his story about his experiences with insurance/addiction issues on another thread (I believe entitiled something like "Preexisting conditions." It's a must-read for all here. Again, point being....most, if not all of our information is out there for the asking. Every prescription filled under your name, insurance paid or self paid, doesn't matter. The days of getting around the 'system' are over. So we might as well start getting honest....completely, as hard as it is. If the pharmacist, doctor or insurance company wants your information - they will get it.
Another aside for Oreo. I have, in fact, heard of people being treated with both Suboxone (a lower dose usually) and full-agonist pain meds for chronic or acute pain. So I'm not saying what you were doing was horrible or even wrong. In fact, for you, it seems it was working pretty well. So be it. I believe you. But how much better would it be if you could find a doctor who would work with you on this. I know that's a tall order and it may take a lot of phone calls and foot work, but if that's what you really feel is best for you, I certainly hope you're able to find a way to make it happen with all of it on the table, with your best interests at heart.
As far as the whole issue of medical bias.....absolutely I agree with Dr. Junig, Hatmaker, Reraise and so many others here who have encountered it. It is very real and it is very wrong. However.....most of these healthcare providers did not make us addicts. We have to try to see it from both sides. It's very easy to see it from YOUR OWN perspective if you've been mistreated....very easy and very real. But what about the other side. I've been on the other side, guys. For many years....working my ass off as an RN in a busy unit, doing my level best to provide excellent care for everyone who came through those doors. I'm going to speak about this in terms of the 15+ year timeline in which I was not abusing substances in any way, shape or form. Yes...it was frustrating as hell when your staff is busting ass taking care of critical patients, barely keeping your heads above water and in walks another patient. A patient who must be immediately triaged and have many conditions ruled out, all the while talking about needing pain meds and that they only "take that one that starts with a D", because they're 'allergic' to all the other ones. We listen, we work them up, we run a drug screen which, low and behold is positive for just about everything under the sun after they've just told you..."oh no, I don't take anything, no medications, no street drugs, no alcohol, ect." I pull them up on the hospital computer and find 55 ER hits for pain in the past year. I check with other nearby hospitals....same thing. I mean all this time and expense with these patients who truly are drug-seeking. Surely none of you out there are going to say that that is okay! And that because of crap like that, can you honestly, in good conscience, blame healthcare providers for being a little pissed off? Really?
Now, someone on Suboxone, if the healthcare provider has a clue at all what it is (and if they don't, explain it) should then have NO excuse to treat us poorly. It's obvious from that that we are in recovery, we're not scamming anymore. We're trying to get better.....at that point, yes, be as pissed as you want at the doctors. Because that is altogether wrong. But please, just stop for a second and try to think of the other side of things. Why they might feel the way they do about addicts. Think it in terms of what you do for a living maybe. Say you're a painter and you've prepped the walls at one job, you've just about got it ready to finish up and you constantly get calls from another job site interrupting you for help when you know they know how do it already. It's a senseless and aggravating distraction from the job at hand. You can't finish your good work, because this other guy is pulling on you for help that he does not need. I don't know if I'm making any sense with all this not. I'm sorry if I'm not. I'm just saying there are two sides to every coin. Sometimes it feels like there is 'my' side and 'the other' side and the other side is always wrong. That's not true. It's just two sides sometimes.
There's no reason to shoot the messenger if they bring another opinion to the table. It's been talked about here before, I know. But if we all agree, how much are we going to learn? Not much. How much are we going to grow? Not much.
There isn't anyone on this forum that I do not respect. There are sometimes members I don't agree with and because of that and the fact that I can be direct and a bit sarcastic at times, I am generally not liked by a few here. But I'm not here to win the popularity contest anymore. I'm here to tell the truth and hear the truth and learn and receive support. And sometimes support means being told the truth even when it hurts a little bit. And sometimes (as I have been quite guilty of myself) we have to not take things so darn personally. Nobody is intentially trying to hurt somebody else's feelings. Really, is anybody here to do that? I don't think so.