It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:31 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello I asked this question in a thread but wanted to give it its own post to get as much information as possible. When you are written a prescription for suboxone, who is that information available to exactly? Do I have to worry about explaining myself in the future? Will a potential employer have access to this information? will it come up in federal, state, or city background check? Any information about who exactly can view this information would be appreciated. Thank You!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:46 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Depends on why you are asking. Your health info is protected by HPPA-federal privacy laws. If you ran your script through insurance, that will follow you around. Cash is cleaner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:50 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I believe the above is correct. If it is anything to do with insurance, then I think it is totaly visible. If it is all cash, 100% then it is up to you (unless some type of legal issue) who gets to see your records. I think you have to release them. I am not completely sure on anything I just wrote, but if you look into it a bit more I think you may find it is correct. Good luck, hopefully someone who knows a bit more can add and/or correct me.

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." ---Salvador Dali

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:19 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Jerry492 wrote:
Depends on why you are asking. Your health info is protected by HPPA-federal privacy laws. If you ran your script through insurance, that will follow you around. Cash is cleaner.

HPPA, or what you ment to say HIPPA is a very tricky law. Your script of suboxone is going into your medical record and is able to be viewed by anyone who may hire you and conduct a query check. Opiate Matinence programs (suboxone or Methadone) do not have to be kept private from employers, health insurance companies, schools, military, federal, or state agencies. Also the DEA has full right to overide HIPPA privacy.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:36 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Are you sure about this? Let's just slow down a bit here.

First of all, you both have it wrong - it's neither HPPA nor HIPPA

It really is HIPAA as in the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996. HIPAA likely rivals the Federal Tax Code in that how asking 10 different accountants will get you 10 different answers, asking attorneys about HIPAA will get you pretty much the same thing. It is very complex. However, to start with, employers can't just go looking into your health records. However, it is not going to matter as to how you are paying. A doctor is not going to chart in your medical records differently based on how you pay for his/her service.

Anyone that works in healthcare already knows the huge mess that HIPAA is. I can tell you first hand that I’m trying to get medical records information for my insurance company and am having a darn hard time actually doing that. The reason??? HIPAA and all of the privacy laws, needed release forms, etc.

Then this DEA comment - where in the heck did that come from?

I think there is a very good reason that this question has not received much of a response - and that is, no one is really sure. All I can say is that if we can't even get the acronym correct, the rest of the information has to at least be very suspect. Be very careful on this one readers.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:05 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I was just stating that the DEA has to be notified of all scripts that are given out for suboxone, and is going to be visting with all doctors who prescribe it. Its probibly not all that important, but it shows that the docter and pharmacy isn't the only one out there with your information.
I would like to just clear things up about it showing on a background check. If you are in treatment for addiction, it is on your record, the same as if you were in a state run halfway house or had undergone a treatment facility. It is searchable and can stay with you forever. I'm not saying your local supermarket or walmart will be looking that deep, but go for a state or federal job and it there for the showing. I know becasue I had my gun license revoked because of it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:52 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Chuck, you said:

"I was just stating that the DEA has to be notified of all scripts that are given out for suboxone, and is going to be visiting with all doctors who prescribe it."

Where did you get this information from? Can you please let us all know how you know this and where we can verify it?

The DEA doesn't have enough resources to even deal with the "real" drug problems. How are they going to be able to visit with all of the physicians across the United States that prescribe Suboxone and what is even the reason for this?

Even an Internet reference would be great. Just please tell us all your source for making such a statement. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:31 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Donh,

I agree with you 100% on all the HIPAA info you provided.

I don't know anything about the DEA knowing suboxone (or other schedule I, II, or III) users, but I did just recently read yesterday or today that new audits will begin being conducted on suboxone doctors.

My understanding is they would be unannounced and docs can refuse. Which means they won't audit/inspect every single doctor. Probably some method for choosing them at random.

Unfortunately, I don't have the link from where I read this info. If I can find it I'll pass it along.

Melissa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:31 pm 
Donh - Well said.

Our personal medical information is NOT just sitting there for everyone to see. I wouldn't sweat it.

I will agree with the comment about going for a federal or state job, but even then, YOU would still have to sign a release for them to obtain your medical records. It's not just there for the taking.

Fact is, HIPAA sometimes works a little too well. As someone stated, sometimes we have trouble even getting our own medical information.

"I'm not a doctor, but I play one online"

Patrick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:54 pm 
As a nurse, the privacy policies got so strict towards the last years of my career, that we were not allowed to access our OWN medical information from the facility where we worked, much less anyone else's whose care we were not DIRECTLY involved in. It was all tracked on the computer system and if you were found to have accessed patient information unneccessarily - it was grounds for immediate termination. We were very limited on giving patient information to anyone - even family members who called the hospital to check on a loved on would end up frustrated because we simply could not give out information because of HIPAA.
Like most everyone else, I have concerns about the whole "big brother" thing. I'd rather not have everyone (who doesn't already know!) know about my addiction. But it sure doesn't keep me awake at night.
Really donh is right on - truth is nobody really does know the answer to Scott's original question. I have wondered myself. I do think the "cash is cleaner" comment has some truth to it. But Suboxone is so expensive that if insurance will pay some it, most of us will have to go ahead and take that chance and let the pharmacy run it through.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:44 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

mr.chuck wrote:
I was just stating that the DEA has to be notified of all scripts that are given out for suboxone, and is going to be visting with all doctors who prescribe it. Its probibly not all that important, but it shows that the docter and pharmacy isn't the only one out there with your information.
I would like to just clear things up about it showing on a background check. If you are in treatment for addiction, it is on your record, the same as if you were in a state run halfway house or had undergone a treatment facility. It is searchable and can stay with you forever. I'm not saying your local supermarket or walmart will be looking that deep, but go for a state or federal job and it there for the showing. I know becasue I had my gun license revoked because of it.

Did they revoke your gun license because you were currently being treated or because you were in the past? Does being treated in the past and successfully recovering seem like grounds to revoke?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:59 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

everytime I get my sub filled I have to show my Driver's License and the tech writes all my info on the script. One day I asked why and she said that the DEA requires it for sub prescriptions....I have gotten alot of opiate prescriptions in the past and only had to show ID when picking up a script and nothing was written down. I can tell you if you have worker's comp or you are suing someone due to an accident (slip or fall, auto accident...etc) or being prosecuted your records can be subpoeaned(spelling).....ask Rush Limbaugh...that may vary state to state......not a doctor or a lawyer but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:53 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

BigRed wrote:
I believe the above is correct. If it is anything to do with insurance, then I think it is totaly visible. If it is all cash, 100% then it is up to you (unless some type of legal issue) who gets to see your records. I think you have to release them. I am not completely sure on anything I just wrote, but if you look into it a bit more I think you may find it is correct. Good luck, hopefully someone who knows a bit more can add and/or correct me.

Simply claim it was for pain relief from headaches. That is one, less common, useage for it. But it is unlikely that most people will know any better. As another poster said, cash is always better. I also use a completely different pharmacy, so that there is no chance of it showing up on my insurance. Also, if you pay cash, ask about a discount. Many pharamcies will help you out if your uninsured.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:33 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Quote:
everytime I get my sub filled I have to show my Driver's License and the tech writes all my info on the script. One day I asked why and she said that the DEA requires it for sub prescriptions....I have gotten alot of opiate prescriptions in the past and only had to show ID when picking up a script and nothing was written down. I can tell you if you have worker's comp or you are suing someone due to an accident (slip or fall, auto accident...etc) or being prosecuted your records can be subpoeaned(spelling).....ask Rush Limbaugh...that may vary state to state......not a doctor or a lawyer but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night......

The DEA requires a record of your information, which is already in the pharmacy database computer, they are just ensuring you are who you say you are, basically they are treating you like shit, legally. It is really demeaning but if they want to do it, they are within the laws of the land.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:41 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Quote:
Hello I asked this question in a thread but wanted to give it its own post to get as much information as possible. When you are written a prescription for suboxone, who is that information available to exactly? Do I have to worry about explaining myself in the future? Will a potential employer have access to this information? will it come up in federal, state, or city background check? Any information about who exactly can view this information would be appreciated. Thank You!

I am studying this in school, under HIPAA 45 CFR , you have to give permission for anyone such as an employer, phycisian,etc to see any information pertaining to your drug/alcohol treatment.Without your consent, the information is protected. At least that is the law, it does not mean it is followed.