It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:38 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi all. I have been on Suboxone for almost 2 years now. I shared my addiction story and I will say that I had a pretty strong addiction to pain meds. I loved the feeling I got from them, but very glad Im not on them anymore. I have noticed that 4 or 5 times a month, I will get times where I feel as if I need a second tablet. Problem is, this leaves me short at the end of the month. My Dr. is pretty strict, in that he urine tests me each visit and cheek swabs me as well. I was wondering if he could script me 10 extra tablets a month or is 30 the maximum??? I don't want him to think I sell or abuse them because I don't and never would, it's just every so often I get the need to take a second tablet daily. Could it just be an urge that Im not fighting as well???

You armed me with strength for battle, you made my adversaries bow at my feet. Psalm 18:39

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:18 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You're not alone in feeling the need to take extra sub every once in a while. What you need to ask yourself though is does it do any good? The reason it is the norm to dose once daily is to get out of the habit of taking a pill when we feel bad in some way. What exactly does taking that second pill do for you? With the long half-life (average 36 hours) of sub, dosing more than once per day (unless taking it for pain) doesn't really do anything.

Doctors can write prescriptions of sub in any way they see fit. For example, your doctor could prescribe you 1-1 1/2 pills per day and write the amount for 45 pills. The real question is will your doctor do that for you? Does s/he know that you take more than the prescribed amount and occasionally run out?

I'm not certain this was the information you were seeking, but I hope this helps.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:54 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Very informative hatmaker. I think it could just be that compulsion from taking so many pills in the past. I do still have anxiety issues and really don't like Xanax, nor does my doc, so every so often when my anxiety gets up, I'll usually take a second. I will talk to my doctor on my next visit. Im really open and honest with him about everything including when I relapsed in April. Thanks again hatmaker. I appreciate the words of wisdom.

You armed me with strength for battle, you made my adversaries bow at my feet. Psalm 18:39

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:45 am 
New Poster
New Poster

My doctor prescribes me 90 (8mg) tablets a month

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:30 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Clearly there is no limit. I agree with talking to your doctor about it. I would probably prepare yourself for him to suggest counseling. It has helped me tremendously with that urge or anxiety I feel on occasion. I think it is that feeling that caused a lot of the problem for me to begin with. Not knowing what else to do with it EXCEPT take a pill. If you ever want to go off suboxone, dealing with that urge without a pill is a good idea. If you don't intend to get off suboxone, then I would think it is less important, except that you may get used to the second pill and then want to increase the dose again if you start taking it regularly. I would definitely discuss it with the doctor and see what he had to say.

Boy....cheeck swabs. That's pretty intense. I wouldn't like that.

Cherie

- Winston Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:05 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Def depends on the individual doctor. I know that there have been times when my doctor has asked me how I'm feeling; if I tell him anything that suggests w/d symptoms he would immediately up my dosage. It may just be that the dosage you are on now is not enough for you. You need to find a good maintanence dosage, and if the current amount you take is not staving of w/d symptoms maybe you should be taking a higher dose.

When you go to see the doctor and mention that you are still feeling withdrawl symptoms he will more than likely discuss your current dose with you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:04 pm 
If you are on a low dose of suboxone I 4-8mgs I can definitely understand you needing to take that extra bit every once in awhile. I had to do that exact same thing yesterday, sometimes my mouth waters uncontrollably the second I place the sub under my tongue and with me only being able to afford 4mgs daily (doc and i think I should be on 16mgs but cant cuz of $) if I dont get perfect absorbtion I start to feel shitty later on during the night time. It is not in my head either, the symptoms start the same every time when this happens, I start to get RLS and my legs feel as if they are tingly and on fire, after I take that extra 2mgs I feel better in about an hour and half and can go to sleep. Its probably hard for other posters who are on 16-24mgs daily to understand what its like to need to take that extra bit because they are always above the ceiling even if they get poor absorbtion. Im going to be going back up to 8mgs here pretty soon I think because I think Im going to get accepted to the PAP within the next couple of appointments, I may even go right back to 16mgs but Im gonna try 8mgs first and see. I cant wait to get my dose raised back up and actualy get to be above the ceiling and take suboxone the way Im supposed to instead of this inadequate dose. Its frustrating feeling like you are teetering right on the ceiling being almost there but always falling short.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:19 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

If you are able to get accepted into the patient assistance program, and if your doc will go along with it, try to get 16 mg/day but then only take 8 mg a day. The program will typically only allow you one year of free medication. Obviously if you can get 16 and only use 8, you'll end up getting two years free rather than just one. If you are sort of able to get by on 4 mg, you most certainly will do fine at 8mg or for certain at 10 or perhaps 12. Even at 12, you'll end up with 18 months of medication. I feel the same on 8 that I did on both 16 and 12. Never any cravings, never any problems at all. Just something to consider.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:34 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Suboxowned - I think don has a great idea. It's always a good idea to have a back-up supply of suboxone. I know I do and because of that, I don't feel tied to my doctor or my appointments. I get my scripts picked up when I can, not planning my day or week around going to the pharmacy. So if you can get a script for 16 (if your doc will give you that), and I agree that you should do just fine on 8 or even 10, that will give you a nice "buffer" supply.

So you ARE going to get accepted into the PAP?? I know you've been waiting for like MONTHS. I REALLY hope it works out for you. I hate to see you struggling with cravings because you can't afford the proper dose. That's the VERY reason for the PAP and I just can't understand if they don't accept you. Keep us posted.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:25 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Yeah I'm prescribed 32mgs and I was able to get myself down to taking only 8-10 mgs. It's nice knowing that I've got a supply to where I don't have to worry about running out before I can get an appointment or make it to the pharmacy on a certain day, its great having that freedom, but my old doctor didn't seem to want me having any extra at All. Every visit he would ask how many I have left and he'd subtract that from my new script. But now I see another doc in the same office and he asks if I have any med left but he still writes the full script for 120.

Post subject: Cheek Swabs??
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:43 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Hi there pumpt73,
I think that your question has been answered a couple of times already so I will just let you know my experience! I am prescribed 16 mgs. a day and My Dr. writes my script for 4 wks. thus 56 pills each time!! As far as reaching for more than you usually take I would also recommend more counseling... To me that sounds like Old Addictive behavior creeping back?? It sound like you are doing well other then that. So keep up the good work and please come back and post when you get a chance. Quick question? I must be naive But, what is the Cheek swab for ? Just to see if there is Suboxone in there?? Just curious....Take Care

God Bless
TW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:55 pm 
TWINPLY:

A cheek swab is just another form of a drug text. They send it off i believe. I've had a similar test for a job except i had to put some kind of thing in my mouth that absorb my saliva and tested it for drugs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:17 pm 
Hatmaker and donh yeah that has been my plan all along so I can get as much free out of the assistance as possible while Im on it. I am gonna get accepted its just based on how much longer because all the slots are filled at my docs but Im the next in line for it and already have had all my papers submitted. The one girl has been going for quite awhile and been on it so I know Im due to get her spot in a few months. I think like 4 months is the maximum I have to wait which while it sucks waiting that long its ok I guess because with the film discount and my walgreens discount I get my 120mgs of suboxone a month for 30$ so I'll be able to at least afford that till Im accepted. I just dont know if my doc will allow me to jump right back up to 16mgs since ive been on 4mgs for so long but for sure will let me take 8mgs because we have discussed it time and time again and he knows I need to be on more and he always forgets I cant afford it and says when he sees my chart "looks like we need to increase the suboxone" and then I agree but have to remind him of my situation. If the PAP doesnt come through when the slot is open tho I will have to go to methadone because Ive been more than patient waiting for this program even when they pretty much were dishonest to me and told me that id be getting my assistance card in the mail and to keep checking it only for me to find out when I bring up at the next appt. that it never came to be told "oh yea sorry they only allow 3 patients and we are at the limit right now". I find it hard to believe they didnt know the rules or how many patients they had on it but whatever i guess.

Post subject: My extra pills
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:52 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

What Donh said about building up a reserve of Subs is correct and pretty smart. As far as how a doctor prescribes, pretty much anything goes: From the beginning my Sub doc has given me scripts for 3 months at a time. Thus I only visit him 4 times a year. I'm supposed to be taking two 8 milligram Subs per day, which means my prescriptions are for 180 pills at a time. However, over the last year-and-a-half I've managed to save up 360 eight-milligram Subs. That is my private reserve, and if that seems excessive just consider the possibily that all of a sudden you could lose your insurance (although now I have noticed cravings unless I take 24 mg's a day- I'll address that in a separate post). I even told my Sub doc that I was basically taking only 1 Sub a day, and he said he would still prescribe me 2 a day in case I needed the extras. My Sub doc is awesome- no drug testing, no questions really, and not trying to be stingy with pills. He genuinly cares about me and doesn't make up all sorts of charges and extra visit costs for no reason. He is so kind, compassionate, and I can be honest with him without fearing recrimination. I thank God for that man! 8)

J