It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:29 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have been on Suboxone for about 2 years and it has helped significantly. I am a smoker and have been smoking for about 8 years or so. I am looking for a way to stop smoking and have tried EVERYTHING! I have been thinking about taking chantix and have an appointment with my primary doctor to get put on it. I look up Chanix online and it said how it works is by blocking your dopamine receptors. I am afraid that it will effect my suboxone and i am afraid of it not working and going through withdraw. My suboxone doctor is kind of an ideot and i can't trust anything he says he told me my baby would be fine and that he would not go through withdraw but he did!! My primary doctor does not have much experience with suboxone and i am afraid she will say oh no it wont effect it but what if it does?? I am wondering if anyone has taking chantix while being on suboxone orknow anyone who has? I am just afraid now but i really need to quite smoking i have a newborn and it is hard running outside and then washing all up just to smoke a cigarette. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:42 pm 

Sorry no one responded to your question but it is one that hasn't been discussed much here.

I stopped chewing the nicotine gum by using Wellbutrin and that worked well. It's doubtful you'll find an answer to this one. My personal guess is that it won't affect the Suboxone at all. Buprenorphine is one strong drug that takes over the Mu receptors completely. If heroin won't dislodge it, Chantix won't either. Just my opinion.

Good luck getting off the smokes. That is a difficult one but very worth it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:41 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Chantax has FDA approval, but I haven't really seen that much success with it, with anybody. I am not aware of any specific interactions. I have people on Wellbutrin and Suboxone and it is somewhat similar. PAX

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:05 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sorry for the delay-- there is no significant interaction between Chantix and Suboxone. Chantix causes problems for about half the people I prescribe it to, but that is for people on or off buprenorphine. Those who tolerate it are pretty successful with giving up smoking; some people struggle with nausea or depression though.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:51 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I have been on Suboxone for three years & YES!!!IT WILL put you into withdrawal!I could NOT figure out WHY I was so sick until I put two and two together.I'm on 1 8mg strip a day, and for two months no Suboxone even showed up in my URINE!I was almost kicked out of my Dr.s.By the time I figured out why I felt like I was taking nothing everyday I was two months into Chantix and down to ONE cigarette a day. :| But going through withdrawal is more important than me quitting smoking at this point.I am in college and have little one's I can't afford to be sick.You will have to wait, as I will, to take Chantix until you are off of Suboxone. :cry:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:50 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

That may be a person to person reaction, as I have been taking Chantix and Subs together and have seen no ill effects. Chantix is very hard on the stomach so I suggest that you eat a full meal and wait 15 min before taking the Chantix. It still may make you feel a bit queezy but taking on an empty stomach will make you very sick. Also, once you hit that first week with Chantix, every cigarette you smoke will make you very sick to the stomach (all of this is my experience and will vary from person to person of course).

The only other two side effect I got from Chantix, were vivid dreams and when I stopped taking it I was very "moody" for a few days. When I say vivid dream, I mean VIVID... They seem so real and you have so many dreams in one night, its CRAZY, but in a good way. I had been taking drugs so long, that my short term memory was gone and I never could remember my dreams or even that I had any so once I started taking Chantix and started having VIVID dream it blew my mind. When I had finished with the script and was no longer smoking and didn't need the Chantix, I was almost sad that I wasn't going to have the dreams anymore. I really enjoyed that part of it. When I was coming off the Chantix, I found I was really edgy almost as if I had went cold turkey from smoking.... that kind of irritability.

Also, just like with Subs, make sure you know what your triggers are for smoking.... The Chantix keeps the cravings away, but once you stop taking the Chantix the urge to smoke comes back as well, so if you haven't developed the tools to NOT SMOKE, than you may find yourself with a pack of cigarettes.

Again, I have not personally had any instance of Chantix interacting with the Subs, sending me into WDs.... The only thing I have personally had issue with was taking St. John's Wort and Subs... The St. John's Wort makes you metabolize the Subs faster, at least in my case (and it's documented on the web in many places) but as with all drugs and drug interactions, it is a very personal experience and no two people will have the exact same experience.

Talk with your doctor and share your concerns. IF you and he/she feel it DOES have an effect, your Doc may increase your Sub dosage while you're taking the Chantix. Once you have quit smoking and are done with the Chantix, you can begin to lower your dosage of subs back to your pre-chantix dose.

Good luck! I have tried Chantix several times to quit smoking (4 to be exact) and it wasn't until the last time that I didn't try to rush it.. I was on Chantix that last time for 5 months (think the normal length of treatment is three months), until I learned how to control my cravings for cigarettes (which is a bag of Skittles ;P). But all in all Chantix worked GREAT for me.

After about a week, I was able to stop smoking and didn't even really want one. The hard part is once you STOP taking the Chantix. I had to stop drinking coffee in the morning for a bit, as my cravings in the morning for a cigarette and a cup of joe was too much to handle.

If you have any questions about Chantix, PM me and I would be glad to give my two cents. I may not be able to provide a lot of medical information, but I can give you some "real world experience" advice, plus I am always glad to chat.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:42 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I can tell you I've taken both subutex with and without naltrexone and I started taking chantix 1mg 2x a day -tablets now for a month. It helps a lot with the smoking and doesn't effect the subutex/suboxone in any way. I have been drug tested twice now and no effects on those tests either.
I am now beginning to wonder if the naltrexone is blocking the full effects of chantix as everyone I know gets a sick feeling after two weeks on chantix when they smoke, so I think it blocks the full effect of chantix, but I've slowed down on smoking considerable - it's worth taking to quite smoking, it makes you feel better less you smoke.
Chantix doesn't block suboxone from working it's more the reverse :shock: