It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:05 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi everyone. I am sharing my wife and I's story of 2 pregnancies, both of which occurred while she was on Subutex. (I am not giving any advice or suggesting anything, merely sharing our experience)

(Keep in mind our first pregnancy was before that article published in the Official Journal of the Academy of Pediatrics in January 2012 that gave comfort to many expectant mothers taking Buprenorphine. The title is Neonatal Drug Withdrawal.

We were both opiate addicts when we discovered she was expecting with our first child. We both knew that this was the end, time to change, take responsibility and action.
We were both extreme addicts but, extremely functional as well. We were able to hide are secret from friends and family. To this day, they are unaware our terrible struggle.
She was almost 2 months when we discovered the news. Knowing her withdrawals would be extreme, and a risk to our babys health, I hit the internet for two days straight trying to gather as much information as possible. It looked grim. It appeared Methadone was the go-to treatment for opiate dependent, expecting mothers. This wasn't an option for us as she could not tolerate even a small dose of Methadone. Snorting bags of H or smoking a 100mcg Fent patches was no problem but even 10mg of Methadone made her very ill, and the fact that are family would no doubt find out about are actions, unless we kept everyone from seeing the baby while it went through the withdrawals...it just was not an option for us, just the THOUGHT of my innocent, infant child having to suffer because of our bad choices would bring tears to my eyes.
I had already known about Buprenorphine, Suboxone in particular. All I had was a gut feeling, the feeling that Buprenorphine was the right choice, the best option of the few available. I had found there was a generic, Bupe without the Naloxone. I determined Bupe alone would be better than the naloxone combo, so then began the hunt. The hunt for a doctor, that would prescribe my wife Subutex. After EIGHT different doctor visits, none would prescribe her, none were comfortable or even had any knowledge, or experience with Bupe and pregnancies!. To keep our post relatively short here, I ended up finding a doctor and convince them to prescribe me Subutex.
I was prescribed 24mg's daily. We both found a comfortable maintenance dose of
8mg which, now that I can reflect back, was too much, 4mg would have been enough, at least for me.

During the pregnancy we were 100% honest with the staff and OBGYN's at the hospital we chose. They put her on high risk status off the bat. We had ultrasounds done on a weekly basis and monitored her, and baby as close as possible throughout term. What should have been an exciting, and enjoyable experience of expecting your first child was taken from us, overshadowed, with: GUILT, anxiety, fear, assumptions, criticism, ignorant judgement, and many sleepless nights. We were scared.

She went full term, and delivered by C-section. There were absolutely NO complications! We had a beautiful, healthy baby girl. As the nurses watched, waited, anticipating the symptoms of opiate withdrawal to appear...... they never came. They were shocked, as were we. Our guilt had disappeared and we felt like the luckiest people alive.

To this day, there is no information or indications of adverse, long term effects. I can tell you that at 2 years and 4 months old, my daughter could sing the alphabet. Count to 12. Knows all 32 colors by name in her crayon box. Was potty trained by 25 months old.

Our second daughter came shortly after, my wife only on 2mg's a day this term. That story plays out the same as the first accept, we decided to avoid the unnecessary ignorance and did not tell the physicians she was taking it Sub.

2 pregnancies on Buprenorphine, 2 healthy, beautiful daughters, NO Neonatal withdrawal or complications. We are both completely sober now. This is our story. I felt obligated to share it and I wish everyone who is going through the struggle the best. There is hope, we are proof.

Quote:
Do not let your fire go out, spark by irreplaceable spark, in the hopeless swamps of the approximate, the not-quite, the not-yet, the not-at-all. Do not let the hero in your soul perish, in lonely frustration for the life you deserved, but have never been able to reach. Check your road and the nature of your battle. The world you desired can be won. It exists, it is real, it is possible, IT IS YOURS.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:00 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I have to say, That is one of the best stories and outcomes I think I have ever read on here. There needs to be more stories like this! I truly commend you and your wife and so glad that both your babies are healthy bro! You are an inspiration!
Please stick around awhile, I feel you will be a great asset to this site.
Thank you
Happyg

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:08 am 

Thank you so much for sharing your story! I'm so glad that you were able to find subutex the first time around and that it was such a success for you and your daughter! What a wonderful feeling it must have been to be up front with the medical personnel yet not have NAS affect your baby! Twice!

This story will give hope to a lot of nervous moms out there. Congratulations on two beautiful daughters!

Amy