It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 2:14 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I'm in a bad situation. I'm on SSDI (Social Security Disability) and my Medicare Part D provider has informed me that I've reached my "Coverage Gap", so that means now I've got to pay 45% of brand name drugs (Suboxone Films) and Walmart who is a partner pharmacy with my Part D provider charges $800 for a months supply. So $800 X 0.45 = $360!!! You do the math.

I cannot afford to pay that much, but I can afford $100 to $120 (my cost) for generic Subutex (buprenorphine only). I begged my current Suboxone doctor to give me generic Subutex. He said that he would give it to me for one month and then no more. Why is that? Is the DEA dictating that? How can a disabled person afford to pay so much for Suboxone? This "War on Drugs" is a crock of you know what!!! No wonder more people aren't going in for treatment.

I did find one doctor who would prescribe it, but he wanted $300 for the initial consultation and then $100/month for the follow up visits, which leaves me back to where I was in the beginning!

I hope someone can explain this ridiculous stance on not wanting to prescribe generic Suboxone to me.

Thank you,

Dennis :?:

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 7:06 pm 

Dennis,

I am sorry you are being put into such dire straights. My only advice to you would be to get on the phone and call every Suboxone doctor and see if there is an opening for their one patient relief program, or something similar in name.

All doctors who prescribe Suboxone are allowed one patient per year to get free medication. Of course it's hard to get into but it's still worth the time and effort to call every single one and ask. Go to NAABT.org and read more about it. They may have some other answers there as well for you.

And I apologize that no one got back to you in a timely fashion. We try, but get short handed and there's just too many members here sometimes.

Good Luck on your search!

rule

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:45 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Dr Junig has explained the why and why not of subutex many times. At the end of the day, it's at the discretion of the doctor. It's his license that will be scrutinized so he's looking to reduce liability. Unfortunately, they're absolutely shameless in setting up their care pricing structures. Sub doctors are regular dealers. They hustle patients who have no better options and drain them of, what, on average, is the most they can possibly get.

Individuals who have a strong interest/experience in medicine.
New Suboxone doctor/psychiatrist/therapist in the Boston area.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:13 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I was fortunate because I only had a ten dollar copay for 60 8mg subs for years with my great ins. But after I lost it I had to pay cash and I had a coupon card from suboxone for the films. So I called my doc and asked him to call in a script for the subs specifically. I was stupid in thinking the discount would be greater, but I ended up having to pay 350. Without the card it would have been around 540! So I was wondering if maybe you can call the manufacturer and tell them you cannot afford to pay for your rx, or maybe obtain some kind of discount rx card through the pharm or somewhere else?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:30 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Dennis wrote:
I'm in a bad situation. I'm on SSDI (Social Security Disability) and my Medicare Part D provider has informed me that I've reached my "Coverage Gap", so that means now I've got to pay 45% of brand name drugs (Suboxone Films) and Walmart who is a partner pharmacy with my Part D provider charges $800 for a months supply. So $800 X 0.45 = $360!!! You do the math.

I cannot afford to pay that much, but I can afford $100 to $120 (my cost) for generic Subutex (buprenorphine only). I begged my current Suboxone doctor to give me generic Subutex. He said that he would give it to me for one month and then no more. Why is that? Is the DEA dictating that? How can a disabled person afford to pay so much for Suboxone? This "War on Drugs" is a crock of you know what!!! No wonder more people aren't going in for treatment.

I did find one doctor who would prescribe it, but he wanted $300 for the initial consultation and then $100/month for the follow up visits, which leaves me back to where I was in the beginning!

I hope someone can explain this ridiculous stance on not wanting to prescribe generic Suboxone to me.

Thank you,

Dennis :?:

Why not try generic suboxone?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:52 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey, dr pepper, that's what I was going to say lol. I take zubsolv and it works fine for me.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:38 pm 

There are other companies now making generic suboxone with the bupe/naloxone combination. And some of the new formulations have coupons too. I have one for the zubsolv I had to switch to from suboxone.

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:53 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Today's prices at one or our Walgreen's.
8/2 films #60 $566
8/2 tabs (generic) $534 big whoop!
bunavail and zubsolv between these
Subutex 8 $316

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:17 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Same in Wisconsin; generic bupe/naloxone offers little discount to brand. But plain buprenorphine goes for about $170 for 60 tabs here.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:47 pm 

So its the nalaxone that costs? That can't be it because isn't nalaxone the same or similar to narcan? Narcan is getting ready to be sold over the counter here in NJ. They have made it abailable to all police departments and are offering training and a kit to anyone who works with drug addicts.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:27 pm 

No, it just COSTS...Why? Because it Works! There is no deal. The generic s came out and no measurable savings.

Dennis, I would have jumped on that 300/100 dollar dr/subutex . In the end you would have saved money just on the med...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:59 am 

NurseMiel wrote:
Dr Junig has explained the why and why not of subutex many times. At the end of the day, it's at the discretion of the doctor. It's his license that will be scrutinized so he's looking to reduce liability. Unfortunately, they're absolutely shameless in setting up their care pricing structures. Sub doctors are regular dealers. They hustle patients who have no better options and drain them of, what, on average, is the most they can possibly get.

That is pretty harsh and not true of many doctors who are in it to only help addicts get their life back. I've had two Suboxone doctors and neither one of them is like you described.

You are correct that a good many are in it for the money, just please don't broad brush them all.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:11 pm 

I agree with you Rule! My Doctor is wonderful! I talk with her openly and she values my feelings. I consider myself so lucky to have found her!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:31 pm 

Do you think people are jaded by bad doctors or that jaded people end up with doctors they think are bad?

Amy