It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Why the urine tests???
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:28 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Now that you read the title, and it is obviously a semi -stupid one, as we know WHY the Doc. makes you do it, although I have to wonder what good it really does? Lets face it, all of us in this forum know the rules and the effects of opiates. All of us also know that if we have 30 days between visits and you stop taking opiates 4 days before your Dr. visit and start on the Sub again, the test is a waste of time? as all that will show is the Sub from what I have read.

I guess I am ranting about it because it is one more thing that I have to pay for in my treatment. I do realize that I am the person that got myself into this situation and that I am the ONLY person who can get me back out. The cost of the Dr. visit every 30 days along with the price of 30 8mg Subs adds up to a monthly cost of over $300 a month. Granted, it is a lot cheaper than my prior habit, but not cheap by any means.

I wonder what the cost of that test is every month and why they would use it knowing how easily it can be bypassed with a little planning. Granted, most people do not have the will power to stop and start using opiates, as I know that battle I went through just finding a Sub Dr and taking the first step. I just think it is another cost in this horrible battle that could be eliminated without having any major impact on the end result to my own treatment or others???

Please correct my if I am wrong, and my gut feeling says I am somehow? :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:14 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hello. I see what you are saying. You do have a point. All I want to comment on is the price of the drug tests. My FIRST suboxone doctor piss tested me every time I came in, but it was included in the $100 visit ($150 for first visit). He used the simple $5-$10 drug test though, well thats the price on like ebay and I am sure discounts apply for bulk purchases. I have heard of some people having to pay $50 each drug test, and even some over $200 because it is a detailed urine analysis sent to a lab and paid directly to the lab. I think that is totaly excessive. All over the internet and ebay you can get up to 12 panel tests for cheap. Single bupe tests are like $5. One of the 12 panel tests are $8.99, so its like 'come on now'! All these tests that you can buy online are readable in like 5 minutes. I do not understand the expensive prices for the drug test, but I am no doctor or expert...just an addict!! Good Luck!!

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." ---Salvador Dali

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:22 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

The test they use on me is one that is read right in the office, so it is probably one of the cheaper ones. Oh well, I am being billed for it and there is no way around it?. If I were to use any opiates, I wouldn't be dumb enough to use them before I go to the Dr. It is just a moronic test that proves nothing!!.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:48 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I here ya on that. And yea, it prob is one of them cheap ones (your dr's drug tests) but oh well right. I'm sure you are saving tons of money anyway just by not being in active addiction, at least I am, so the cost of subs is all relative. I pay (with my CURRENT suboxone doctor) $100 per visit (it was $250 for his first visit), plus $300 for script of 45 per month, plus fuel, tolls, bridges etc by traveling to another state over 125 miles away and it all equals around $500 or so per month, I don't have insurance all cash. For me, that is like 1.5-3 days of active addiction so extremely cheap compared to what it used to cost me for them couple days (1.5-3) over 6 months ago before I got on subs.....now at 6.50 per pill, it costs me ever day $9.75 for the subs and only one day per month running to the dr.'s. As opposed to getting drugs on the street and having to make multiple trips every week, or ever couple days or even every day. Or doctor shopping and running around every friggin week (not me actually, but I knew PLENTY who did).

I do know there are many doctors that don't even drug test at all. I am sure they have trust worthy patients and a good relationship and hopefully that is why they do not drug test. I am not saying this is the right or wrong thing to do, but they are out there. I am sure there are some people who use dope or oxy's etc and go to doctor for script of subs just for when they run out of full agonists to not get sick and/ or just to straight up sell them for the money or for other drugs (dope, oxy, etc). Of course there are many who don't even think about that like me because suboxone has given so much back to me that I could never take advantage of it just because I don't want to and especially because I would not want to jepordize my suboxone treatment in anyway. But take it for what its worth.

I am not judging you or anyone else for that matter....just stating some things I have heard of or came across. Thanks for listening!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:42 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I guess I just see it as a major waste of time and money. Lets face it, the information about different drugs and the time it stays in your system are on numerous pages on the internet, so it only takes a few minutes of browsing time and the user is educated about what to do/not to do?

If opiates were like pot and it stayed in your body longer than 30 days, then it would be a great tool for Dr's to catch the individuals who relapsed or who were abusing the system to just obtain more Sub. but when the drug that got us in trouble and landed us in treatment only stays in your system for 24 to maybe 96 hours tops, what is the point?

IMHO, it also may break down the Dr and patient trust level (relationship)? especially for someone who is doing great or even someone who is in early treatment and could use every bit of a confidence boost they could get (I guess it could be also said that what is to fear with the test if you are doing nothing wrong?). Anyway, enough of the rant. I guess I just need to shut up, take my Sub and get on with life?. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:11 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I agree with all of that you just said! Hey, no need to 'shut up'! Just let it fly.....

Good Luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:31 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

BigRed wrote:
Hey, no need to 'shut up'! Just let it fly.....

Good Luck

Thanks! I have a lot to "Let Fly" on this subject and quite a few others when it comes to this subject (Not urine tests alone, just the entire experience). After spending many months reading, learning and listening to others experiences, I realize mine is no where near what it should have been but then again, nothing in life ever goes the way you expect it to now does it? I just get the impression that some Dr's just look at the $$ and really don't pay attention to anything other than that. I think that chutes should be installed in hospitals and Dr's offices, then we could just come in the front one, leave by the back one and "Moo" a few times while there, then the experience would be complete, LOL! :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:54 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Very good discussion going here. As to the cost of these things, you would be amazed - I mean really floored, at how little hospitals, clinics, offices, pay for most medical items and medications and what they then mark that up. The price of drug tests on eBay and then that cost in the DR office is a very good example. An IV bag of saline is less than a buck. Same with the IV tubing and IV catheter. Cost for the supplies to start an IV? At least $50 if not more. It's not different for medications, etc. So the amazement of everyone with how much drug tests get marked up should also be there for pretty much everything else.

As for the tests themselves, as much as I hate to say it, part of that is in order for the doctor to cover his or her butt. We already all know how political Suboxone is not to mention opiates in general. Drug testing is a way for the doctor to provide evidence that he was taking steps to make sure the patient was in compliance. The thing is, we are all in pretty good control while we are on Suboxone. But think back to your days of using. Would you have been able to stay clean - even with a drug test coming up? I suspect that many would not have been able to - or at least would have rolled the dice. I just agree with several other here, that it is somewhat meaningless, that with our abuse and craving in check, to also drug test us. It may actually be more important to just make sure that we have suboxone in our system. That to me makes more sense. Then again, if they are going to go through the trouble and expense of testing us for Subs, they might as well test us for the rest as well.

On the plus side it is rather nice that I'm able to tell family, friends, etc. that I am drug tested. It is a really nice paper trail to have should anyone question my status from this point forward. I can proudly proclaim, and in fact actually did that tonight, that I have passed all of my drug tests with flying colors. Still, I agree that it's a hollow victory as it's once thing to pass the test when you are ready for it - and a whole other thing to pass a random test. If they really want to find out how we were doing, they would call us in for a random test and skip the planned ones. Now that said, I'm glad they do not - only for the hassle factor. I know at this point I could pass without any trouble. It'd just hate to have to report within 24 hours or something for a random test.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:09 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

donh wrote:
Now that said, I'm glad they do not - only for the hassle factor. I know at this point I could pass without any trouble. It'd just hate to have to report within 24 hours or something for a random test.

Now that you mentioned this, I wonder what happens to a patient that tests positive for opiates while on Sub? I imagine it will be up to the Dr as to what the next course of action is?. I know I would be kicked from the program, but I have no idea what I would do next. This won't be an issue for me, as I don't even have the urge, but it is impossible for it NOT to have happened in the past to someone? I imagine you would just find another Dr and start over?

One of the main reasons I wasn't on Sub. years before is because I was worried about the stigma that comes with it? Lets face it, it is now in my medical records for anyone to see forever, or in the worst case, my current insurance CO knows about it and that can't be good?. Oh well, to late now, I just need to focus on the future?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:29 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Donh, great information as usual!!! I agree, and I could write and write and write about it. I once hear (don't know if its true, but wouldn't doubt it....that someone was charged on a bill for two tylenol 500mg {1000mg total} $25 per pill, $50 for the two of them....crazy if true). So many other extremely high charges.... I can go on.

As far as the doctors just taking your money, well I had experience with that. Many doctors are for helping people, but many are not. That is another loooong story!!!

The 'Moo' comment was good!! I've experienced that as well.... Same with the stigma, I probably would have been intreatment earlier but I am happy I am now.

You know, a funny thing is....I was always so worried when I had to see my pain dr if I did not have what I was supposed to in my system just incase he actually tested. I have been in his office in w/d's, with other pain meds in system and with none at all of course. NEVER once did he piss test me. Makes you think!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:19 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Great question super dog! I was JUST thinking this today. I had to piss test for the 100th time and thought about how big of a waste it is. My doc didn't piss test me for the first 6 months or so then started to all the sudden. Such a waste and so pointless. I hate that I am paying for it. Good point...glad you brought it up.