It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:40 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

jastover wrote:
Are you joking? Thats not what this stuff is for man. All you have done is trade addictions. That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

No offense, but are you a doctor? In what way are you qualified to label another person's addiction treatment plan as "dumb?"

Have you ever heard of long term maintenance? It's a valid treatment method for opiate dependence. Please get a clue before you come on this message board spewing ignorant bunk that has no basis in fact.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:46 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I apologize to the forum for losing my cool on that last post. Mods feel free to edit/delete as you see fit. I'm just really sick and tired of being judged because I'm taking this drug. It saved my life. I have HepC and will likely need a liver transplant within the next 5 years and EVERY SINGLE DOCTOR I have spoken to BAR NONE has told me to STAY ON the suboxone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:54 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Junkie, I think based on the statement you responded to, your reply should stay right where it is.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:14 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Very well. I am typically pretty calm and rarely combative or argumentative, but that just rubbed me the wrong way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:06 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

The original poster is right. we are off topic. And you know what they say about opinions they are like buttholes evryone has one but they all stink!!!

Anyway i agree. Several years ago the suboxone on the market had a nice orange taste. And they seemed to be much more potent. i don't think because of dosage but because they absorbed better. Then one day I got some that had a bitter taste barely orange and hard as a rock. they took twice as long to dissolve and seemed weaker. I found that by taking them an hour before i had to get up(sleeping with the pill in my mouth) they lasted longer. But that's why i switched to the film. I think the film works better because more of the medication absorbs into your bloodstream. This would also explain why people always say they have good days and bad days on sub. They are getting different doses each day. I wish there was another way to take this like a pill you swallow or something. But that's my opinion and you know what i think about those.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:56 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

where are you storing your pills? bathroom? ever leave 'em in the car? let them get hot in your house?

this will reduce the efficacy of the medication. keep them in a controlled, cool, humidity free environment. look at the storage information in your monograph or patient guide and make sure you're in compliance with that or you could just be causing your medicine to degrade.

as far as the ol' generic debate... i've never had problems with generics. i take generic subutex and have never noticed a difference.

also make sure you are taking the medication the proper way. not sure if you are a smoker OP, but don't smoke before taking the pills either as this causes a vessel constriction in your mouth and can affect the absorption.

anyway, just my two cents. the pills have a pretty long shelf life when stored under proper conditions. the strips can expire quicker though afaik.

Post subject: Re: long-term Suboxone
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:48 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

suboxdoc wrote:
It is pretty clear what the 'dynamics' are with the debate over Suboxone. I talk about this issue quite a bit, as the prior posts describe. My goal with the blog and this forum is to help prevent what I see happen so often-- people who are doing great on Suboxone will feel like they are doing something wrong for staying on it-- when in fact there is no reason for them to feel that way. The comment that 'it isn't supposed to be used that way' is simply not true. I have been trained to teach other docs in the use of Suboxone, and I am very familiar with the literature related to the use of the medication. Initially there was more talk of using Suboxone as a 'tapering tool', but over time a couple things happened; first we realized that it is perhaps easier to use other meds to taper than Suboxone, because of the high potency of the drug. More importantly, people who use Suboxone short-term have a high incidence of relapse-- no surprise to anyone who understands that addiction is NOT about just getting past the withdrawal, but rather is an illness that comes back-- or more accurately never leaves.

My hope is that eventually people will use Suboxone to treat addiction just as they use a beta blocker to treat hypertension. We don't tell people with high blood pressure that they HAVE to lose weight, because the med is stopping in one year! And so I think that the pressure to 'get over addiction and stop Suboxone' is a 'fool's errand'; I watch all of these people tapering down, relapsing, restarting, tapering again-- all the time feeling more and more like losers! I want MY patients to realize that they have an ILLNESS-- it is NOT THEIR FAULT-- yes, they are responsible for the consequences of addictive behavior, but they don't DESERVE to feel like 'bad people'.

If a person takes Suboxone for 6 years, or 10, or 20-- and it helps the person lead a meaningful, full life-- that is GREAT. The person who refused Suboxone, and who had multiple relapses that cost him his family, his health, his career, and his freedom-- congratulations on avoiding Suboxone!
:!:

How are people on subs for life supposed to get pain relief when they break their arm playing basketball or have cancer or another issue that causes extreme long term pain if we are to stay on this medicine for life? You can't live in a drug induced coma forever.

Also, from my experience (3 year sub user), this medication doesn't seem safe for long term use. Is it safer than relapsing? Sure. But honestly I've had more mysterious medical conditions the last 3 years than I've had my entire life. I've had heart problems, circulation problems, constipation, compacted stool, diverticulitis, swollen joints, anxiety, trouble breathing, chest pain, red eyes, dizzyness, ears ringing, bruxism all worsened immediately after I take my dose. Granted those symptoms each come and go, but still they were never here before subs. Also, I was never addicted to street drugs, just took opiates for an Ulnar Nerve Disorder so you can't say those are the effects from long term drug use... (That's the normal response I get.)

Maybe it's safe but it doesn't seem safe to me for long term use. I think more testing should be done before doctors tell patients that this medicine doesn't have withdrawal symptoms if you properly taper and also should not recommend they stay on subs for life until more testing is done and we really know what the long term effects of it are. Thanks for taking the time to read my concerns and please respond if you have time!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:15 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Quote:
How are people on subs for life supposed to get pain relief when they break their arm playing basketball or have cancer or another issue that causes extreme long term pain if we are to stay on this medicine for life? You can't live in a drug induced coma forever.

I already have long term pain that suboxone helps me with in addition to my long term addiction that needs treatment. And I certainly don't get the whole "drug induced coma" line. How does suboxone put us in a "drug induced" coma??

If I have to have acute pain treated, yes, it will probably be a struggle. But even if I went off suboxone, guess what? Taking regular pain meds will ALWAYS be a struggle for me, so that changes nothing. In the meantime, I don't sit around and worry what will happen if I have a car accident. I'll deal with that when the time comes. For now I've explained it all to my husband and he knows how to handle a situation should it arise. That's all I can do for now. Anything else is out of my hands. So why worry about it in advance?

Suboxone/bupe - the active ingredient - is a very safe medication that has been around for decades. There have been years and years and years of research as well as continuing, ongoing research today.

I just don't get why people say it's not a safe medication.

If you're having negative side effects, why not try dropping your dose to see if they subside, they usually do with a drop in dosage.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 9:17 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Thought this was a great read from the "old days" of this forum
i hope today this may help ,calm,and educated...
read on.....have a great SUNDAY where ever you maybe...