It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Why stop taking suboxone
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:25 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have only been on subs for a few months and so far doing good just trying to get on the same page as my doctor. So they say this is a life long problem so why not stay on subs life long? All I know is am doing better now than I have in the last 4 years so am in no hurry to stop. How do yall fell bout it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:01 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Welcome to the forum James!

And, CONGRATS getting on the Sub and into recovery!

Im so happy that this medication has made such a positive impact on your life!

I've been on Suboxone/Subutex for over two years.

Giving this medicine a chance to help me, has been one of THE BEST decisions I've EVER made!! Bupe has changed my life in ways I never imagined were possible before!

I feel much like yourself........WHY GET OFF, IF ITS WORKING?

ADDICTION IS A PROGRESSIVE, FATAL DISEASE. AND, LEFT UNTREATED.....IT CAN KILL YOU!!

I take my disease of addiction VERY seriously.......I HAVE TO! The moment I think Im cured......Im doomed!

I realize that everyone is different. And, what works for me might NOT work for the next person. Well, what WORKS FOR ME.........Sub maintainance, individual therapy sessions, and being honest with myself/others.

I truly cringe whenever I read posts, where someone is stating that they're doctor is forcing them OFF of Sub, or that they're getting off Sub due to financial constraints, or ESPECIALLY when someone is being pressured to discontinue Sub by a family member or from friends.

In my book, Suboxone and Subutex are NO DIFFERENT than any other treatmant for a life-long condition or disease.

Post subject: Why stop taking subs
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:39 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I feel the same as u do. But am not sure about my doctor. I only been on subs since april and am not sure bout how my doctor feels bout long term use. I go see him monday and will have a long talk wit him.i have had friends die from this and I came close. I been to rehabe and tried it without subs but I had relapse.this is working for me so I hope my doctor views this the same as me or I will have to find a new doctor. How do yall fell

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:20 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Tell this Dr whatever you have to ( if you have to , use a little bullshit ) so he keeps you on Suboxone... If he wants you off find a new Dr... Don't wait till your out of Suboxone though... at least try to maybe get down to 4mg a day for life , Mike

Post subject: Why stop taking subs
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:40 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

What is a good dose to get down to if u plan to use subs for long term

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:17 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I agree with you and Marie....It's changed my life so much for the better I could never have imagined it. It's SO good to see others who feel the same as I do! Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one around here who thinks this way! I have no plans on stopping it. Why? I see no point in it. In fact I think it's the riskiest thing I could ever do. Yes, I also take sub for pain, but even if I didn't need it for pain, I'd still stay on it. I've been thinking about that a lot recently and have come to that conclusion.

Oh and there's really no "normal" dose for long term maintenance. It's best for most people to get down to the lowest dose that still takes care of all your cravings (and keeps you out of w/d). If you are fine at 8 mg and taper down to 6, but find you have cravings at that dose, then you'd be best to stick with the 8 mg. See, if sub isn't addressing ALL of your cravings, then it just defeats the purpose of being on sub maintenance. Try not to compare your dose with someone else's. Like most of us believe, what works for you might not work for others.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:29 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Jameskenneth wrote:
I have only been on subs for a few months and so far doing good just trying to get on the same page as my doctor. So they say this is a life long problem so why not stay on subs life long? All I know is am doing better now than I have in the last 4 years so am in no hurry to stop. How do yall feel bout it

I have been on Suboxone for almost 8 years-
and I, too, am in "no hurry to stop".

Mainly, the only reason that I would have to stop the subs is money-
as I have posted previously, I am not exactly certain about
how long my insurance will cover the cost of my subs;
and- at some point- I will probably need to taper to 2 mg a day.
(I am at 4 mg a day now- and this dose seems to be "holding" me
quite well.)

As well, both me and my sub doctor agree that subs help my
severe depression- despite the fact that I am also on two
other anti-depressants.

I am so glad to discover other people who feel the same way that I do.

-ex-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:22 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi jameskenneth". glad your here and happy that your suboxone maintenance is going very well. hatmaker". at the moment i feel subs is also the best step i ever made in my life and i will be on it for life?
oh". i want to welcome my sister "joyce" here with us. and i hope she reads all our story's so she can get a better look at suboxone maintenance. joyce does not have a problem with pain med or drug addiction. jameskeneth i've been on suboxone for 17 months. from 16 to now 22mgs. i became addicted to pain meds from surgery. but also have alcohol problems and have not got drunk for the entire 17 months. a few beers here and there, but that just gets in the way? hope you stay with us we and hat welcome you. thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:35 am 

One of the main reasons I can see where a person would need to be tapered off Sub is that stupid 100 patient cap.

For every one addict who stays on Sub for maintenance, there is one and of course hundreds who can't get a spot for treatment. Now don't get me wrong, I do believe anyone who wants to stay on Sub for life should be able to do so. But with that dumb law on the books, doctors probably feel the need to get as many treated as possible to stay under the cap. Money may be one of the contributing factors, but it could just be not being able to treat everyone who needs it.

My 2¢ anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:52 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I am also going to keep taking sub. After 25 years of active addiction I finally have my addiction in remission and I am very happy with my life.

Post subject: why stop taking subs
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:59 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

also i was wondering how bad subs are for your body? one of the main reasons i ask people about their dose is because to it seems my doctor acts like am on a high dose at 10mg. I was doing really good on 12 then like i said in my other post he move me to 10 and is now pushing me to 8 even though i told him i feel alot better at 12. I go see him this monday and am going to tell him how i feel about long term treament and see how low he is going to try to make me go. Also i want to say thanks for everyone that replies back on this form cause the advice helps. Another reason i ask what mg people use for long term is to see if doctors usually put them on a low dose or if the doctor leaves them on the mg that controls the cravings. cause to me my seems to be pushing me to go lower even though am having cravings but i will see this monday when i see him. thanks eveyone

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:35 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I wouldn't call 10 a high dose personally.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:43 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I wouldn't call 10 or even 12 that high of a dose, either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:39 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

i wouldn't call 12 or 16 that much higher of a dose.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:40 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

well hopefully after this monday when me and my doctor have a long talk we get on the same page

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:39 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

so i finally had to call me doctor cause the cravings got to bad and i dont want to relaspe. so i got into see my dr early, we now are on the same page about treatment. he told me as long as i stay clean and use subs as he prescibes that he will keep me on long term treatment. i am currently taking 10 mg and doing good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:41 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

That's great! That must be a load off your mind, as I know you were worried about that. I'm so glad you got it all worked out and now you are both on the same page. Glad you're doing well on 10 mg.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:43 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hatmaker, you are not alone!

I am also doing well on suboxone. (4mg daily) My doc wants to keep me on this for at least 2 years. So far its been a little over a year. I don't post much because Im not tapering, and alot of threads seem to be about tapering or sub wd. But I am always reading!

I remember when I was using, drugs were ALL I thought about. How to get more, am I gonna run out etc....

Suboxone has taken away that obsession. I have mild constipation but other wise feel normal. THANK GOD. This med truly saved my life.

James, I am so glad your doc believes in long term treatment and that you are doing well at your dose. Isn't it nice to feel good?