It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Why stop?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:24 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I don't mean to be facetious.
But if suboxone is working to keep me off the opiate treadmill, meaning, I can make a living, support my family etc etc, why should I think about quitting?
What percentage of sub users stay on it?
What is the downside of staying on sub indefinitely?
Please tell me why you or someone else should get off suboxone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:43 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I hope I didn't break any rules in my question; why stop?
I feel I should give a little about me as well. I intend to say more later, but I recently went to a suboxone group for users under my Dr.'s care, and found that only 2 out of the dozen or so were ambivalent about suboxone. One was new and didn't really know much about it, hadn't used a lot of opiates, but was tired of being on a pain med schedule for last couple of years. The other just mentioned how they felt when they went too low in their dose.
The others were like poster children for this drug.
I have been on it for over a year after a year of going from vic to perc to oxy.
It helped me get back on track.
Nobody talks about getting off or anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:14 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I happen to agree with you 100%. My problem was never too terrible (no IV use, no illegal activity) but I simply could not stop cold turkey and when I tried subutex once before short term it was only a month before I found myself back in the waiting room of the pain clinic happily waiting for my scripts. this time I am on it an d have no plans of stopping. I answer to me, and I am OK with it. I answer to my husband and he is OK with it. I know that many people WANT to be on nothing, but I think sometimes it is more the principal of being med free that is alluring. there is nothing wrong with being on a stabilization medication if it improves quality of life. You are not alone. I am not planning on stopping, I am a very successful business owner, wife, mother of 2 and my opiate receptors are being kept peacefully at bay.

Have a great day!

MW

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:16 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I think people stop for a variety of reasons and I know that is why I stopped. But I wish I DIDN'T stop and am still waiting to get in with a new doc after what I think has been almost 3 months (really long months). I am glad I DID stop because I found this forum, did a lot of research, talked with my husband (who wasn't supportive of me staying on it and kept asking how much longer), and ultimately realized there was no good reason for me to stop and I plan on staying on it forever.

I researched everything I could find because I kept hearing the same things you are talking about like that you should only be on it for short term detox or no more than a year, blah blah. I can't find any reasons on line anyways on why you should stop. In fact I think it is scary to stop. But if someone has side effects they don't like then maybe there is a reason for them. I just hope it gets more accepted and less expensive because I don't want to pay $300 a month for the rest of my life. It is like a car payment for crying out loud!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:15 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I just wanted to add my .02-.03 cents....

First, WELCOME to this great forum! I wish I signed up sooner, but hey, thats ok! I am here now... Just like Suboxone, I wish I found out about that sooner. It has given me my life back, or I should say, is allowing my to take back what I lost during a part of my life called active addiction. As far as the long term effects...I think (personal opinion, and from what I have read online and heard PERSONALLY....I am NOT an expert nor doctor) they are the same as any other opiate/opioid, but to a lesser extent compared to most full agonists (oxy, vics, methadone, dope.......). You will most likely experience constipation, but you can certainly get around that. I guess libido is effected in many people, men and women. I don't know of any specific 'serious' side effects that are long term caused by bupe (suboxone/subutex). Percocet, Vicodin, or anything with APAP (acetaminophin/tylenol/paracetamol (sp!)) has a chance of damaging you liver more so then most, if any, narcotics in oral form...especially in high amounts. I have no clue about snorting, and I believe that IV abuse is also not good for your liver (hell, nor the rest of your body for that matter!).

When I first started sub treatment, it was more 'locally' less than 30 miles away, but the doctor was a friggin J-O-K-E-!!! First doctor only charged $150 for the first visit and $100 for all visits after that...... and between his cost and his location is what lured me to him. Just because one is cheaper DOES NOT mean they are any better (it might be for some, but not in THIS case). I changed doctors a couple-few months in and now with my 2nd and current doctor who is over 120 miles trip each way. The 2nd and current doctor charged $250 for the first visit and $100 after. My first doctor has everyone who goes into his program taper and completely off from 3-6 months. I did not agree with that and he was not willing to work with me. My current doctor (who I think is GREAT) is the same price per visit as the first's doctors 'regular visit' ($100) but he is always once a month....my first sub doctor had weird intervals, 2 weeks, 3 weeks, back to 2 weeks....I can't remember if I ended up seeing him once per month towards the end, but I doubt it. My current doctor also is fine with long term sub treatment. In fact, he recognizes (sp?) that there is a lower rate of relapse when in long term treatment. He and I are both ok with being on sub for as long as we think I need to be. As of NOW (it can change, but I don't see it changing in the near future...) I plan to be on Suboxone (bupe) for many years or the rest of my life. If that changes, thats ok. But I am not worrying about it anymore. I did enough worrying about it, and for now I am just going to live my life....addiction free! I am happy to be on Suboxone (buprenorphine) long term.

Don't sweat it about tappering off UNLESS YOU ARE READY. I am sure some people have to come off for unseen events, but if you have a choice, choose the right choice for YOU. For ME it is to stay on long term - forever. That is fine by me! The benefits FAR out weigh any side effects and/or risks.

Good luck with EVERYTHING and take care...

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." ---Salvador Dali

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:31 am 
For me, i have been on suboxone for 10 months now with no problems and my life has changed for the better in so many ways that it would make absolutely no sense too stop taking it. I have tried many many times too stop using drugs but have failed everytime until i found suboxone. Its the best tool towards recovery that i've ever came across. Something else i've noticed, i still see great changes happening even after 10 months. Changes i thought were impossible. I was a very hopeless person before suboxone. Now im extremely happy and excited about life and i havent felt that normal type of happiness in 8 years. Not only do i have my life back but my family has their life back as well. My addiction was ruinning the lives of everybody that cared about me. Those days are long gone and i could not be happier. Goodluck!! ~PEACE~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:49 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I must agree.I fell prey once again to opiates after 16 years of total abstinence.Long story made short, was prescribed tramadol (non addictive, sure!) and reverted back to full opiate addiction.I've been on suboxone 8mg going on 2 years now and I treat it like my other daily meds (thyroid,lipitor) It cut short what was shaping up to be a totally devastating relapse.My quality of life on suboxone for me is the same as when I was totally drug free. It'a actually better because of the pain relief suboxone gives me.It's working well for me so I see no need to stop.For me it has been a life saver.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:46 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I have only been on since August but I honestly find no reason to stop, I started off at 24 MG, down to 16 and now I'm at 12. I'd ultimately like to get down to a half a day. People take Benzo's everyday for anxiety, anti depressents for depression, thyroid pills for a thyroid inbalance...Why can't I take subs everyday to stay clean? I know it's tough but I'll never be strong enough to quit. Ever, I still think about it EVERYDAY of my life. There are no triggers, I don't blame my addiction on anyone except my self. I also suffer from depression and since I have began taking suboxone but depression has improved SO much. There are a lot of studies linking Bupe to depression and it is becoming a more widely accepted method.

JackCrack, there is help for that you know...I'm on a free Suboxone program. it's sponsored nation wide and takes about a month to get into. I don't have insurance so I felt the sting of dishing out 400$ a month to get my meds plus another 100$ for my doctors appointment. Now, I see my doctor once a month, pay 85$ for the appointment and when I leave they hand me a months supply. Not all doctors have the program so you might have to check around. My old sub doctor hadn't even heard of it.

http://www.patientassistance.com/profil ... kiser-314/

That is the link. I hope that helps you, JackCrack.