It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Why am I still craving??
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:52 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi, I am new to forum and doing my second run at sub therapy. I was on subs about 3years ago (subutex specifically). When I lost my insurance I went back to my doc, opiate pain killers. Mainly hydro but toward the end of my relapse I was supplementing with oxycodone and tramadol. My relapse lasted a couple of years up until 5 days ago when I went to pcp and asked to be treated w subs. Without being too long winded, I was hoping to gain some insight from anyone who may be able to help. I am still, 5 days in, having relatively strong cravings (I feel guilty for mentioning as no doubt things would be far worse w/o). Is it because I have been on bup before? Could it be going from subutex to suboxone? I was taking far more painkillers this time as compared to 3yrs ago when I took subutex for 9 or so mo? Is this some sorta self fufilling prophecy on my end? Taking 16 to 20 mgs a day. I know, that's do high!! Seems everyone else is able to do it with far less! Previously, when on subs the first time, I took 3 8mg subutex a day and was on them for 9 mo. Thank you in advance and please forgive any typos. iPhone not real user friendly for this purpose:-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:53 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hi! I had the same problem, I was on a high dose of methadone when I switched, it would make sense that it would make a difference. When I read that 4 mgs was a normal dose, I tried and failed miserably. I also think I have a high metabolism. In the beginning was rough like you, but every day it would get a little better. And that was on 20 mgs! After 2 weeks it seemed to level out and I dropped to 16. Try talking to your dr if things don't get better.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:58 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Shytype wrote:
Hi, I am new to forum and doing my second run at sub therapy. I was on subs about 3years ago (subutex specifically). When I lost my insurance I went back to my doc, opiate pain killers. Mainly hydro but toward the end of my relapse I was supplementing with oxycodone and tramadol. My relapse lasted a couple of years up until 5 days ago when I went to pcp and asked to be treated w subs. Without being too long winded, I was hoping to gain some insight from anyone who may be able to help. I am still, 5 days in, having relatively strong cravings (I feel guilty for mentioning as no doubt things would be far worse w/o). Is it because I have been on bup before? Could it be going from subutex to suboxone? I was taking far more painkillers this time as compared to 3yrs ago when I took subutex for 9 or so mo? Is this some sorta self fufilling prophecy on my end? Taking 16 to 20 mgs a day. I know, that's do high!! Seems everyone else is able to do it with far less! Previously, when on subs the first time, I took 3 8mg subutex a day and was on them for 9 mo. Thank you in advance and please forgive any typos. iPhone not real user friendly for this purpose:-)

I'd say, if I had to guess, that it could be mostly psychological. That's a pretty high dose of Suboxone...I was on 80mg oxycontins, snorting 3 or 4 of those a day for the last 2-3 months of my active addiction. And in Suboxone, 16mg to 24mg a day was plenty to keep me feeling great...

There's nothing different about Subutex and Suboxone as far as the active ingredient, the buprenorphine. Suboxone has the Naloxone in it, but that's supposedly to keep people from abusing it.

If I were you, I would try a day or two where you only take 8 to 12 mg of Suboxone....I mean if it doesn't work, it's not like your going to be short or run out early, because you're saving the extras that you should've taken, unlike if you take more than your supposed to...

See what that does for you. I split mine, and take 4mg around 4am(bad sleep habits), then 4mg around 10am...another 4mg around 4pm-6pm...then if I happen to be hurting or need it, another 4mg around the time I go to sleep (8pm or 9pm).

I don't always stick to certain times, and I don't look at a clock to take my meds. I just try to space out about 4 to 6 hours between 4mg doses...

Sometimes it works better (in my case, for pain management) to have a small amount several times a day, rather than having a large amount a couple times a day.

If you don't want to cut down the dose, then at least try splitting up your doses into smaller amounts, and taking those smaller amounts more often..that way you're getting a constant flow. See how that does, it may help you substantially.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:12 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you guys for taking time to read. I appreciate the responses and advice. Truth be told, I guess I'm just missing the rush I sought and found daily. It wouldn't be fair or realistic to ask that this be just plain easy. I am glad I joined this forum. Everyone seems to be respectful. Respect is a long missed thing for me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:40 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

YOU are the only one (in conjunction with your doctor) to determine what you need to address your cravings (and withdrawals). Didn't you say you were using 24 mg last time and you were using MORE opiates this time and you're on less sub now? That's likely your the simple answer.

If you feel better on 16 mg than on 12 mg, then for heaven's sake, take 16 mg. Don't compare your dose to anyone else's dose. What works for someone else won't necessarily work for you. Please, keep that in mind.

As for multiple day dosing, sub's mean half-life is 37 hours, so unless you're taking it for pain, there's really no reason to dose multiple times daily. In fact it will feed your addictive behavior of taking something when you "feel like you NEED something". That's the exact opposite of what we need. That's in fact why the half-life is so long - so we can take it once a day and forget about it. In some countries, patients take it only every other day. So try to stick to once daily dosing, because you'll need to break that habit anyway, may as well do it sooner rather than later.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.