It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 1:52 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I read this article today and it brought tears to my eyes. It is written by a Christian nurse who works at Insite, which is a supervised injection site for IV drug users in Vancouver, BC. This woman's perspective, her humility and compassion...is astounding. Please read it, you will be so glad you did.

[web]http://www.christianweek.org/features.php?id=85[/web]

-Jack Kornfield

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 8:50 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

my article was supposed to be in connection to this topic- i goofed and posted new topic instead of reply

Post subject: thank you!
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 9:50 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you for posting this DOQ! So touching, it did bring tears to my eyes. In a world that sometimes seems so full of hate and anger it is a real joy to read a story of such compassion.

~Anna

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:27 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

That's a real tearjerker there, and it's simply astonishing to know there are people that exist like the nurse who wrote that article. I had no idea any kind of facility like this even existed or was allowed to exist(and it looks like it won't be allowed to exist much longer). Fortunately, during my IV heroin days, I was never doing the drug on the street. I was doing it in the privacy of my home(each time), with a new needle for every use, clean bottled water(new each use, I know it's not sterile but it was close enough), micron filters(cotton doesn't filter out everything, and obviously cotton fever can happen, micron filters are the safest proven way of filtering the solution), and I always cleaned the injection site before and after with an alcohol swab and washed with dial soap. So I was definitely clean with my IV drug use and I took that hygiene part of it seriously. It truly horrifies me to know the lengths some people on the street go to prepare there drug. I mean, what other option do they have? The sad thing about this is, they are sooner to die due to an untreated infection that spreads rather than due to overdosing/respiratory failure. Imagine using an old needle(with 10+ uses on it), water from a puddle, cotton from an old cigarette butt found randomly on the ground that could of been there for days or even weeks, and a stray bottle cap... because I'm sure that exact scenario has had to of been faced by many homeless addicts...and I can only pray for them.

Man, what a story.

Post subject: harm reduction services
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:24 pm 
Great article. When I was active in my addiction in Minneapolis we had a place called Access Works that provided clean gear and many resources for addicts. Access Works has been gone for probably almost three years now and you know what?! People are still doing IV drugs! I think some Harm Reduction syringe exchange programs still exist around here, but they are not M-S store-front operations like Access Works was and are therefore less convienient for addicts. It's unfortunate! I kind of digress....Great article though! I don't get emotional easially, but this one made even me tear-up!

-Travis