It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:42 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I started taking suboxone 12 days ago. My Dr. prescribed 4mg 3 times a day. After taking the 4 mg I realized that it is way too much for me so I now take 2 mg 3-4 times a day. I am having horrible headaches almost constantly with little to no relief from over the counter pain relievers. Also, I can barely stay awake if I am not constantly moving around and am feeling nauseous. After reading some other posts I thought maybe I was still taking too much but even when I cut my dose to 1 mg I still feel awful. I am working at a very demanding internship and have 2 small children and am sick of feeling sick. I am scared to quit taking it because I am already fantasizing about stopping so I can get high and "feel good" again. Is this a dosing issue or am I just not ever going to be able to take subs?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:52 pm 

Suboxone can cause some unwanted side effects, especially at the beginning. First of all, it's very common to feel sleepy for the first two to three weeks. I would guess that you're going to start feeling better and more alert within the next week. Also, some people seem to have a sensitivity to the naloxone in suboxone. Try letting your strip dissolve under your tongue and then spit out the saliva that is left over instead of swallowing it. That has helped a lot of people who get headaches after taking sub. I hope this helps! Keep up the good work!

Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:56 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

The headaches stopped for me after just two weeks or so.

You can definitely try spitting out the naloxone, but you may find your headaches subside as your body 'adjusts' to the medication. Hopefully your body adjusts the rest of the way too, and you stop feeling sick!!!!

You also could try just dosing twice a day instead of 3-4 times.

If that doesnt seem to help, then wait longer, and maybe just once????

Im just trying to help, and give you some ideas.
Remember the half life is on average almost two days, so that could be why your feeling sick.

Hope you feel better VERY soon!!!!

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:15 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Sometimes headaches are caused by naloxone (about 15% of the population are that sensitive) to it. I had initial headaches and told the doctor who switched to a generic of Subutext -- no naloxone. The headaches stopped.

S

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:41 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Have you been taking the same dose at the same time(s) every day for any amount of time? And you're dosing up to FOUR times a day?? I'd definitely stop that right now and go to once daily dosing. There's little if any need for dosing more than once a day unless one is on it for pain. The mean (average) half life is 37 hours, so you see, you can only dose once in a day and be just fine.

I would also say your dose might be too high still. You could try taking 2 mg in the am and see how you do with that for a couple of days. If you start having feelings like you're withdrawing, then it's too low a dose and you can bump it back up to 3-4 mg later or the next day if need be. But I'd go down a bit lower and stay there for at least several days. Again, because of the long half-life, you won't see any effect from a change in dosage for 2-4 days.

This is just my non-medical, personal opinion and it's what I would do if I were in your shoes. Let us know how it goes and how you are feeling.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:42 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I agree with once per day, same time. And try the spitting for sure as suggested. I hope you can get past the fantasizing too, sounds rough.

Gb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:56 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Suboxone makes me sick as dog. I tried to change to it a couple of times to get takeaway doses but by the 5th day I had withdrawals that lasted all day and I lay on the couch and couldn't even go to work...

Of course the doctors don't believe me. They think I want subutex so I can abuse it. Which just adds insult to injury.

Can you get subutex? Subutex is so much better than suboxone for me when taken under the tongue.

I took 4mg suboxone in the morning and felt like shit all day. and .4mg of subutex in the afternoon and felt so much better...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:02 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi there! I am so sorry to read that you are feeling this sick! I personally had headaches just like you. But, just like amber, mine went away right at the 2 week mark. I assumed that it was just like any other medication, and my body had to get used to it. Eventually it did. I have a small child so I understand how hard it is to be sick and carry on with your work and children. You've gotten some great ideas from all the other posters, I hope at least one of them works out for you. I would definitely limit yourself to once daily dosing. Twice max. I take it twice a day, but I am dosing for pain in addition to addiction.

Good Luck and I hope you are feeling better soon!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:40 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Rawnukles is right on the money! Switch to subutex if you can. Suboxone makes me sick as a dog too - I lost 40 pounds from being sick on suboxone before finally throwing in the towel and asking my sub doc to switch me to subutex. I have only been sick on subutex a couple of times in more than 2 months on subutex where I was sick at least weekly while on suboxone. I am sorry rawnuckles is having the problem with people thinking you only want to abuse subutex - that is not what my experience has been.

You should definitely talk to your doc about switching to subutex!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:43 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I got headaches on Subutex, so at least for me that side-effect isn't only cos of the naloxone.

As everyone said, the headaches do subside with time. However the fact that you're extremely tired may indicate your dose is still too high. It just depends on what kinda "tired" it is. Is it a drowsy, eyes droopy, "stoned" kinda tired ... or is it a "I wanna sleep heaps" tired. If it's the former, you definitely need a dose drop. I've yet to figure out how to deal with the exhaustion that comes with being on sub.

Dosing 3-4 times a day doesn't sound wise, especially if you're craving. Psychologically, taking Sub like that is reminiscent of taking drugs in our addiction. It's kinda like topping-up every few hours.

I dose twice a day because of my metabolism, and I also find I have less side-effects that way. But if I could I'd only do it once a day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:52 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi everyone, sorry for taking so long to reply. Also, thanks for all of the responses and advice-you guys rock!

So far the headaches and sleepiness are def getting better, but I am experiencing constant nausea. My dr. suggested the spitting (as many of you did) and I have been doing that, which helps some but not enough. I have a bad habbit of bitting the inside of my lip and cheeks and I am wondering if it is possible that I am absorbing the naloxone through these cuts/opening in my mouth?? Any thoughts on this? I have an appointment with my dr. next Saturday and I am going to ask him to switch me to Subutex. I have never abused any substance intravenously but I'm still kind of nervous about asking him to switch :? .

Also, many of you suggested that I only dose once a day. I want to try doing this becuase as tearj3rker pointed out, dosing multiple times a day def mimics the addictive behaviors that I want to change. Should I dose what I normally take in a day all at once??

Again, thank you guys so much for all of the advice!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:07 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

HI,,, glad to hear from ya!!!!

yes, if your going to switch to once daily dosing, then take your whole dose just one time per day, preferably the same (about) time every day :wink:

Im glad your side effects are improving, hopefully they will keep going on the 'out' direction!!!!

If your nervous about asking your dr. to switch you to subutex, you should write down all the reasons you have, so you can list them. well thats what Id do anyways.
Sometimes this helps, so you dont 'forget' to tell him/her anything when your all nervous/anxious in the doctors office :roll:

and ... GOOOOOOD LUCK
I hope you get the answers you want!!!!

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/