It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:38 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am very upset, my doctor told me I have to use the strips even tho I asked not to. I asked what the medical reason was, she said that since all the patients who don't want the strips are all drug addicts with mental problems therefore I am a drug addict with mental problems who needs to learn the I can't always get what I want. I swear these were her words. I wish I had a video camera to show someone. I said pretend I'm an intelligent person who's done a lot of research on the sublingual film and if you can give me a reason why the overall benefits outweigh the negatives which I am reporting, then I will be satisfied, but since your telling me the strips are exactly like the tablets then why don't I have a choice???? If the whole reason they switched to film was to please the patients reported negatives to tablets...and I'm telling you personally the pills are better for me....THEN WHY DON'T I HAVE A CHOICE??? If there are any doctors out there reading this can you tell me what the incentives are for the doctors to switch??? What possible reason is there to not allow me to continue using the tablets when they were working perfectly fine in my treatment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:09 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Houston we have a problem !!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:51 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It's true that some doctors are not giving their sub patients a choice. They are switching them to the film, no ifs, ands, or buts. I guess I'm lucky, because my doctor had no problems keeping me on the tablets.

Anyway, we've discussed this a little bit around here. What is likely happening is that Reckitt-Benckiser is telling doctors (probably) that the film cannot be abused in the same way the tablets can be. They can also theoretically be tracked by the numbers on the film packet. RB is pushing the strips under the auspices that it will reduce diversion. And from the sounds of it, some doctors are eating it up. Many of us (including my own doctor) believe that RB developed the film because the tablets' patent ran out. This way they retain all of their customers should a generic come out. It's all about $$$.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:22 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Wow! The film just came out and your doctor KNOWS that everyone who still wants the pills is a drug addict with mental problems. Hmmmm. What research study is she citing exactly? Maybe she is the one with mental problems eh?

With that being said, exactly why don't you like the strips? What was better for you about the pills? People are somewhat divided in terms of what they prefer and I can understand that. I too was given a choice. I don't really care so either way was fine with me. The only thing I don't like about the strips is hiding all the damn evidence all the time. I could destroy the sticker on the script bottle when I was done. I can't destroy these packages. That annoys me.

Cherie

- Winston Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:26 am 
I 100% agree with hat!! I think the company came up with the strips because the tablets patent ran out and a generic was sure to be made had they not extended the patent. Their not giving anyone a choice because they want everybody taking the strips so that the day when their is a generic suboxone, they will have everybody still taking their high freakin dollar product. I just firmly believe that a patient deserves the right to choose. If the strip and tablet are the same, why cant a person choose. Reckitt Benkiser is all about the money and put the people 2nd to the money. Some people disagree with that but the facts point to my theory rather than the others.

Post subject: DITTO, SULLIMI!!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:07 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Thanks for the laugh, Sullimi, in this absurdity....What Hat said about RB is very true. I work closely with a rep here in my city. She's a great salesperson....but she is also real. She tells me the truth.
I feel very fortunate to have found my dr and as I said I wish everyone could have the same experience. He understands the manipulation of the pharmaceutical companies. And fights against it.
We SHOULD have a choice...why fix what isn't broken? I keep hearing the pills won't be available soon...if that's the case, fine. We change.
But obviously what is more of a problem is the attitude and ignorance of people in both the medical and mental health world.
I hate hearing that a "trusted" medical professional would actually say that out loud to a patient. Well, at least you know where she stands. It's gonne be a lifelong fight to educate, sadly. I guess they have to go through it?? Who knows.
It reminds me of a surgeon I worked with once, a long time ago, who after operating on someone, taking out their appendix or something similar, wouldn't give them adequate pain meds....usually someone would be like 50 of demerol depending on the surgery...and he'd order 12.5! It did nothing for post op pain. And we'd all beg him to change the order...he wouldn't. WELL....guess what? He came in with an emergent appendectomy (his own) and was begging and screaming for pain meds postop! Yep, we gave him 12.5 demerol.....he changed his ideas after that...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:05 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I think people should have a choice when all is said and done either pills or films. But at the same time I see were some Drs are coming from but I also see were the patient is coming from being that I am one. At first it didn’t have a choice I was told I was getting the films and that was it I was upset but the doc said the people in charge are enforcing that they switch everyone to films. Luckily I didn’t mind the switch they work a 1000 times better for myself and my pain knock on wood! But when I came back my 2nd app I was then giving the choice of films or pills they made a rule that if you have been on SUBOXONE and had been with his or her DR for the full term of at least 1 year that you can choose which ever you may like. But you had to reach a certain criteria to do so. No dirty Piss test, No last minute Cancelations meaning the day off like an hour or 2 b4 the app, no calls for early refills and the list goes on a little more you get the point. And I think that’s actually smart cause with the diversion rate being as high as it has been of late I do think that new SUBOXONE patients should be put on the films and tested to see if they do have BUP in there system. If all goes well then introduce the pills but a lot of people are just trying to see drs for the pills to sell to get there real fix and that’s a problem.

But when everything is said and done i think it really has to do with how much your Dr trust you more so over films or pills cause they wont make anymore money if you are given 8mg pills or 8mg films. and lets face facts alot of dr dont trust us if they only know us for a short time but for people who have been with the same doc have had no issues should get a to choose yes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:26 pm 
Bboy your right, the doctors want make anymore money wether they prescribe the 8mg tablets or 8mg films but the company continues raking in the cash and thats why they are telling "some" of the doctors to prescribe the films. Had they not made the films the tablets would have been eligible for being made generic. Now that they've made the films, they still have the right to completely do away with the tablets and people are stuck with the films so even when the day comes when a generic suboxone can be made, it will have been extinct. Therfore once again people paying for Reckitt Benkisers product. Another thing and i promise im not calling you out or anything but, you said since diversion rate is so high? I dont know anyone that diverts their suboxone and i know a lot of people who take it. Most people who spend an arm and a leg for this medication are usually pretty serious about their recovery. Anyways, thats just more of my opinion on the matter. I think this is a great discussion. Not a debate but rather a calm peaceful discussion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:46 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Oh it’s cool LiveSaver I know you aren’t calling me out with any bad intentions. But as of diversion it is really bad in Buffalo. You can sell an 8 mg SUB for 30 a pop out this way and once the drug addicts realized this they started Dr shopping to get the pills to sell for their DOC. And you got so many younger kids who are scared to tell their parents about their addiction so they buy them off the streets and this went on for a while with the pills but now that they switched to films a lot of the people who were selling them stopped because kids aren’t buying them outside of the foil and that has def helped with the diversion rate in my area. Cause with the number on the foils kids are getting scared to sell them in the packs.

And that’s why I think new patients should be put on Films to prevent this even a lil bit would help.