It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:13 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'm in an addiction program, get random drug tests and I've been taking suboxone for 6 months now. One of my recent drug tests came back positive for narcan- this has NEVER happened before in my past drug screens. I know naloxone IS essentially narcan but why did it come back positive this time after 6 months of suboxone doses and drug screening?

I'm on a split dose of 16mg, 8mg morning and 8mg evening. Can someone tell me what's going on??

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:40 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I too would be interested in hearing the answer to this. However, I have a question for you: Why in the heck are they testing you or anyone else for naloxone? I don't get that at all. What's the point? Even if you are positive, so what? What then? What is that an indicator of?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:51 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

If the test was sent to a lab for evaluation they may screen for naloxone, among a whole bunch of other stuff. Just reviewed a lab result for Mellenium that was positive. The result was sent from another office so I don't know if it was requested specifically or not. Thought it was odd unless they wanted to ensure the person was actually taking it, prescribed for alcohol cravings. I suppose if the labs threshold is set low enough it would test positive for Narcan. I assume you also tested positive for buprenorphine and norbuprenorphine as well?
Quote:
Can someone tell me what's going on??

I hope you feel comfortable enough to ask your counselor or one of the nurses? Sad state of affairs if you don't.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:14 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

They send our pee to a lab so I assume they test for EVERYTHING. I also assume they've also been testing EVERYONE for narcan too, but I can't say for sure.

The problem with coming up positive for Narcan is now the director is suspecting me of taking opiates and used narcan to prevent OD. I told them even if I wanted to use it wouldn't get me high because of suboxone.. I also heard u can take Narcan to prevent other drugs from showing up positive on a drug screen- how accurate and true that is, I can't say.

Anyway when I was told about my positive screen I INSISTED naloxone IS narcan.. As for my previous screens never showing it prior, it may have been because I was pregnant however my baby was born mid January so idk why its taken until March to come back positive.

thankfully they discussed my positive results with my suboxone doctor, whom laughingly told them that suboxone has narcan in it and traces would inevitability show up on a drug screen.

We did get a new director in my program so I'm curious if she changed where our pee is being tested.. I'm not sure, I'm just thankful it got cleared up. I didn't want to be in danger of getting kicked out under suspicion of using -_-

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:06 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

What the heck is Mellenium? I've never heard of it--- please fill me in!! Doc2M-- it sounds like you work in a medical laboratory?

As for naloxone, understand that they can't just test 'for everything'. They have to look for specific compounds. The first stage is to use an antibody that binds to specific molecules. After that, they can run a sample through a mass spectrometer, and see specific patterns of breakdown products. But understand that urine contains a number of molecules besides illicit substances-- and a laboratory has to be looking for specific target molecules.

Given that labs are now charging hundreds of dollars per substance in each specimen, it is hard to imagine why they would look for naloxone. Realize that naloxone has a very short half-life, unlike naltrexone, an orally-active mu antagonist. Naloxone lasts for 30 minutes or so, and is then broken down by the liver. It cannot be used to 'prevent overdose'. It is present in Suboxone, but only traces are absorbed-- about 3%-- and so it is not going to show up a day after dosing.

I realize this is redundant-- but are you certain it was 'naloxone'? As people have pointed out, finding that in trace amounts in someone taking Suboxone has nothing to do with anything. Are they charging for those lab tests? If so, who is the sucker who is paying?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:10 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Idk, but my prior Pain Mgmt MD utilized Millennium Health for medication monitoring and drug detection services.

Considerably edited this post bc I can be obtuse...

Last edited by Pelican on Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:39 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Quote:
What the heck is Mellenium? I've never heard of it--- please fill me in!! Doc2M

Thanks for posting an answer Pellican. Glad to see you were able to discern my intent.
Yes, I did mean Mellenium labs. Maybe you meant the comment as an early April Fool's, but, ouch.