It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:48 am 
New Poster
New Poster

i have always had a sweet tooth but i have found its got tin worse when I'm on suboxone? any answers?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:11 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello Brittany and welcome to the forum! I have the same problem! Though I don't know that I would consider it a problem for me! LOL I love it! I crave cookies for some reason since being on sub. I don't have an answer for you as to why, but I can tell you that you are not alone!

Maybe some one with some knowledge on this will come along and fill us both in!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:51 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I was never really into candy or chocolate until my second or third month on Suboxone therapy then all of a sudden i started picking up snacks every chance i could get lol..I try to exercise 4 to 5 times a week and the sugars started catching up with me so i switched to soft fruit (peaches,plums etc,) and melons. I still have an occasional milky way but try to limit these treats to once or twice a week. I too would like to know why these cravings for sweets have come on us?

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:22 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I had major sugar cravings while on Suboxone too.

I just did a google search for "does sugar release dopamine?" and this wiki thing-a-ma-bobber popped up first, it's an interesting read.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar_addiction

This is an interesting sentence from that article, "Researchers say that sugar and the taste of sweet is said to stimulate the brain by activating beta endorphin receptor sites, the same chemicals activated in the brain by the ingestion of heroin and morphine."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:19 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

That's interesting. I don't have this problem with Suboxone, but I DEFINITELY had this problem with methadone.

At maccas (McDonalds) in my country we got these things called McFlurry's, where they put a tub of soft serve and put in like Oreos and M&M's and stuff and whirr it together in this machine. I'd have like 4 of them a DAY! Any wonder people on methadone lose their teeth!

I'd also get ice-cream whenever I'd have a hit of heroin. If I was buying one cap (one hit) I'd always make sure I had enough money for a mcflurry or some ice cream.

Suboxone however I don't ahve this problm?

Are you getting much agonist effect off Sub, like an opioid buzz or anything?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:01 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Great Post!
I have always had a sweet tooth and had been pretty good for the last few years (pills)? but now, I crave candy like crazy.
I don't have any sort of appetite whatsoever, but if there are cookies or sweet-tarts I will plow right through them.

Crazy, but good post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:51 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

thanks romeo". i'm right back to when i was 5 to 15 years old on eating ringdings :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:48 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

A lot of people seem to have these cravings on suboxone and therefore many complain about weight gain on suboxone. However, there's also the opposite group of people who complain about losing weight on suboxone, so for the people on this thread, there's another group with the opposite complaints. Just goes to show us that we are all indeed different.

I've always loved sweets and personally have not noticed any difference or increase in my craving for sweets. In fact, in the last 8-12 months I've lost 65 pounds. YAY Me (Hey, if I don't pat myself on the back, who will? LOL)

Just my two cents.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.