It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 1:18 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

hi, due to an auto-immune disease i am on disability. i can't work. my illness is extremely unpredictable, which makes me unreliable for any position. and like most others on this forum, it causes extreme pain. which led me to pain meds-to addiction-to suboxone-to here!!
anyway, my question...
why do the dr's charge so freaking much to see them?
i mean, my insurance covers the medication. so that's a blessing
and i do understand they want to get paid, since insurance does not cover the visit
but i have not seen a dr charge under $300 for the first visit
and there is absolutely no help out there for followup visits if you don't have the money
i guess it just feels to me that most dr's out there only deal with suboxone because it's easy money
they know we are desperate, and will do what it takes just to feel normal
now i know not all dr's are like this, there are compassionate, caring dr's out there
i can only speak out of my own experience. it's very frustrating dealing with a person that does not see you as a human being but rather a dollar sign
i guess there really is no question here, just a rant

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 2:16 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

It costs me 350.00 every month. No money, no prescription! lol

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 3:40 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Because they know we will come back every month because we are opiate/opiod addicts and need the medicine to get through the day..I think my visit is $150 to see the doctor(for 2 mins) but the first time you go it is $300, I guese they make it so high the first visit to weed out the people who are just coming to get a script to sell or to take as needed when they do not have anything, so that makes sense, but I've seen some people saying they pay 300 for each visit, thats RIDICULOUS. I only have to pay $25 to see because I have a copay through Blue cross blue shield. Some doctors really get into this to make money and don't really care about the patients, but there are alot that do care also. It's a good way to make money, ya know we are gonna be back every month,lol.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 4:02 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sorry guys... but doctors who prescribe buprenorphine are the least-paid docs in medicine. If it were more profitable, there would be doctors rushing to do it, and health networks encouraging their own docs to get certified. Do you realize that when you pay a copay, your insurer is paying the doc a bunch of money that they have collected from you, each year, in insurance costs? Do you know how much a typical surgery costs? Or a neurology consult? Have you ever paid to see an attorney?

The docs who prescribe buprenorphine go through the exact same training-- 4 years (of getting almost all A's) in college, followed by 4 years of med school that costs $30,000 to $60,000 PER YEAR-- as any orthopedic or ENT surgeon. All docs then do at least 4 more years of residency, and while psychiatry residency is a bit less strenuous than orthopedic residency, both pay the same low salary in exchange for 80 hours or work per week, for 4 years.

But from that point forward, the doc prescribing buprenorphine charges you $200-$400 for 30-60 minutes. The orthopedist does an ACL repair, taking about 60 minutes, and charges $15000. An ENT doc will do 10 sets of ear tubes in a day, charging $4000 each. A neurosurgeon will charge $800 for a 20-minute consult, and $50,000 for a spinal fusion that takes half a day.

We ALL have the loans that are higher than the cost of most houses out there.

Anyone can become a doctor. They have to start working hard at a young age, getting good grades in middle school and highschool, doing homework every day instead of hanging with friends. In college, the future doctors have to skip all of the keggers, and watch the fun from the library window. They give up a decade-- their 20's, which for many people is the greatest decade of life--- working all night in hospitals. I remember a football playoff between the Jets and the Bills one Sunday... I had to miss the 4th quarter because I had to disimpact an 80-y-o man. I remember missing my son's birthday party because of an elderly woman who had a GI bleed that kept me at the hospital after my usual shift, and throughout the entire night. Of course, those experiences were routine, and happened all the time.

The hardest part, though, is borrowing hundreds of thousands of dollars at the age of 22, and not knowing how you will ever pay it off. Most doctors work on paying those bills back for decades after graduation.

I'm not looking for sympathy by any means. I'm very grateful for being able to do what I do... but it gets a bit tiring, at times, hearing about 'how greedy I am'. Of course because of my own addiction, I had to do a second residency-- i.e. do 4 MORE years as a peon, in order to make much less money as a psychiatrist than I ever did as an anesthesiologist. There are reasons to treat opioid dependence.... but 'for the money' is not one of them.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 4:55 pm 

Right on and awesome post Dr.J!! Honestly I pay 350 cash every month plus cash for my medicine. I've been paying that for over three years. And I'm thankful everyday that I have the opportunity to live my life again. I can't put a price on peace and happiness. It gets really tight sometimes with my cash flow lol but so did using. I'm just sayin, I'd pay as much as I have to because it's been a true blessing.

Thanks again Doctor J :)

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 8:24 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

But dr J you're forgetting to mention the tens of thousands of dollars doctors get every year as a kickback from the drug companies!

Of course I am totally kidding as that does not happen either. Like many things in life it is amazing to see what reality really is when you get to see healthcare from the other side. The same hoes for many things. Thanks for taking time to shed some light on the other side of this issue.

I do wonder, however, how nessisary monthly appointments really are? I would love to hear your thoughts on this as I'm sure would many others. Especially with a stable patient established over a year or so, is it really nessisary to see the doc once a month? This is especially true for those docs that really do only see the patient for a couple minutes, perhaps do a simple dip test drug screen and send the patient on his or her way with a script after asking if there are any issues or problems. Is that really nessisary? I personally don't mind spending $300 for my quarterly appointment (unless somehow my huge deductible has been met for the year) but to do this once a moth would really make me wonder as well. I brought this up a few weeks ago on another thread - if life-long or at least years long Bup treatment should be the gold standard, how do we achieve that or actually maintain that for ten or twenty years with monthly appointments? Is that reasonable? Is it sustainable?

Really hope to hear your thoughts. Either way I totally support what you wrote above. Thanks for commenting.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 9:20 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi there, just chiming in with my two cents here as a physician. I think the doctor's visit costs that much mainly because the Suboxone visits are not covered by insurance. Most primary care visits without insurance do cost anywhere from 90-175 dollars per visit as well.

There is no set rate and every doctor varies. Some have asked as much as 400 for the first induction visit where a history is taken, medications reviewed and follow up calls during the first several weeks until a stable dose, then subsequently each month's visit costs a certain amount.

The rates per visit are high because of many factors. These days malpractice premiums are high, and most office space rentals are also costly. Staff within the clinic will also contribute to the consideration of cost. While in theory doctors are here to help/heal/diagnose etc, opening a clinic remains a business at the core. It all comes down to figuring out what margins are acceptable for working at a clinic vs. being employed elsewhere, for example, at a hospital.

Just my own opinion. This is not meant to justify anything, but just food for thought!

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 2:53 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

My $350.00 Dr's office visit
Door#1,
This door you can never pass, until you manage to pee,
into that tiny little glass!
Door#2
Here you will find, not 1 but 2,
It's my counseling sessions, be on time or your screwed
Door #3
When you enter this door, there's a catch
Cause it's the nurse practitioner, who loves talkin' about her cats
Door #4
So this is the door, Ive been lookin' for,
As I nervously wait', on the one who decides, my ultimate fate
Then he arrives and things are grand, as he endorses the script and shakes my hand
The End