It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:40 am 

I was reading an article today about the reasons that addicts sabotage themselves. There is nothing particularly profound in the article. The author mentions the fact that many addicts don't think they deserve the treatment that saves their lives. I don't think this is a new concept, especially to treatment professionals. The obstacles standing in the way of healthy recovery include both the physiological changes in the brain itself, and the overwhelming feelings of inadequacy and self doubt propagated not only by ourselves, but by a certain segment of treatment professionals that reflect societal stigma, instead of relying on the most current scientific evidence. It is no small feat to garner the will necessary to defeat the very real physical and mental obstacles that addiction presents. Thus the need for focused, daily, recovery work.

One of the reason's I want to highlight this article is because there is a clever comparison between what is involved in daily recovery work and the ingredients necessary to make concrete. It might give people a new perspective!

Here is the link to the article: http://ihavewill.wordpress.com/2014/12/ ... -recovery/

I hope you find it helpful!

Amy

Last edited by Amy-Work In Progress on Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Because I wrote it in the early hours of the morning and wasn't necessarily conveying what I wanted to! :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:44 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Amy

Wow, i was only able to skim the article but will print it out. So much i could identify with. That terrible person i am, the dirty secret i hold in, the selfishness of trying to work on myself and the inability to accept i am doing the best i can.

Thank you so much for sharing this. I hope others read it!

E

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:56 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

thanks for sharing this i learned something about it. i will visit the site and read more :)

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:29 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

When I was in the Clinic going from Opiates to Sub there were others coming off Alcohol, Benzos, Opiates and different stuff.
Half the people had smuggled in their own supply of pills.
One woman supposedly coming off Benzos had a regular supply delivered by a visitor and also started arguing with Staff when her issued dose was cut.
I couldnt make sense of why someone would even go in if they had no intention of trying to stop.
What was that all about. :?:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:15 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I consider these self-sabotaging decisions to be a prodrone to relapse. ie the relapse process often begins before the person actually picks up the drug, and eventual relapse is the destination. If the person has been clean a number of years, the relapse process can actually begin many weeks before the person actually picks up the drug. ie the addict may start undermining the healthy relationships in their life in order to isolate themselves and to place themselves in a position where it's easier to use drugs with impunity. They might start shirking their responsibilities, or becoming unreliable at work, to push themselves away from a career that helps keep them clean. They might stop taking their psychiatric medications as prescribed, or drink more.

Any time I've had significant time opiate free (incl no suboxone or methadone), I've been able to detect when I'm going to run into trouble at least 2 weeks before it actually happens. In the last case, I was clean 18 months, and I knew I was headed down the road of relapse some weeks before I actually picked up. I could feel it in the way I was thinking. Using just started to become an option. I told my sponsor, and his advice was the typical NA spiel "do more meetings, do more stepwork, pray". I did all those things but they weren't helping. And I ended up using.

As for self-sabotage in general, I don't think it's strictly the domain of the addict. Sometimes when things are going really well, we start to question whether we deserve things to be going well, so subconsciously we may begin to undermine our own success. There are also people with personality disorders who seem to be more at home in upheaval than stability.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:14 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Interesting article as well as your thoughts about it. Thank you for sharing. This is my first time using a forum like such but I find it very helpful as well as comforting as I can find hope in not feeling alone.
One issue I am having right now is attending meetings on a regular basis, something I used to do 5 days or more a week, but since starting suboxone therapy,(I'm prescribed Zubsolv) I find it hard to attend groups like these because I feel as though I can't be honest with people and share the way I would like to, because every group that I have ventured to seems to look at me or view me differently as well not agreeing with the treatment I am currently undergoing. I've even had someone approach me and basically tell me how not only do they not agree with my recovery-plan, but actually refuse to agree with my sobriety date period. (this was one of the main moderators of the group) I have encountered many groups, AA and NA that view my recovery the same way. I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered anything like this.. I have finally found a therapist who is not so against the suboxone therapy, but it took quite some time unfortunatly, Maybe I am just un-lucky, LOL.
I live in the Central Florida area by the way. I don't know if anyone would possibly have any suggestions for me which I could seek out, online or even groups that might be more accepting locally near me. Thanks so much and sorry if this is kind of off-topic. I wanted to post in an active thread. Thanks again. :D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:58 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I personally don't share what medications I take at the group level. Only my sponsor and 2 of my closest support people know what I'm on. If my sponsor were to tell me I shouldn't be on a particular medication I would find a new sponsor.
Also, someone who would come up to you and criticize your recovery needs to take a good hard look at their OWN recovery.