It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:42 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello there. I have been on Suboxone since september 2015. I started at 8 mg and reduced without any issues to 6 mg last april 2016. I found a 40 hours / week job at a hardware store about a month ago.

Last week, on Sunday night, I went to bed and I couldn't sleep for one second from eleven to five in the morning. I experienced a slight anxiety lasting all night... but never in my sober life, any sort of anxiety has kept my awake like that. I'm actually a very relaxed person, when it's time to sleep, I sleep... usually.

Actually, I felt aslept maybe 30 minutes after getting in bed... then I experienced sleep paralysis during which I dreamt I was attacked by an invisible force. I followed a MBSR (Meditaiton Based Stress Reduction) therapy lately... and ever since I started meditating, I noticed an huge increase in sleep paralysis occuring as sleep occurs.

It's a very frightening experience and it's very annoying because I am attacked and I actually feel pain from those agressions. So I force myself to wake up and it's not easy, as if I am really deeply asleep, but eventually, I make it to wake me up.

Some other times, it's a lot cooler because I will experienced a deep relaxation and remain conscious as I fall asleep and I will process to project out in a lucid dream / astral projection, whatever you want to call it and it's a incredible experience.

Last week, I just dealt with it and went to work and did my time... but then this week, the same thing happened again. This morning I had scheduled my driving car practical exam. After the sleep paralysis, from eleven to seven in the morning, I just applied all the relaxation methods I know, still zero sleep. I woke up annoyed. When my father arrived to pick me up, I went nuts, angry and emotional. I did pass my exam with 88% and upon arriving at work... I just needed to get the fuck out of there and took the day off.

I can't function very well in a social settings, being an introvert person, social situations drains me out. I need refreshing sleep to face the day. I have had some insomnia issues since the Suboxone, but nothing that intense. I would wake up early and remain awake for a few hours and very often ended up projecting in a dream which always made it worth the insomnia in the end.

I'm about to leave my hometown to go study near Quebec city next semester... I'm worried the Suboxone is exacerbating my anxiety, increasing insomnia issues... I experience withdrawals, sweating at 24 hours mark, it's annoying when I'm working... Anyway, do you think this is related to Suboxone, have you experienced something similar?

Sorry if this thread is long, I feel a little off headed to be well structured.

I plan to be on suboxone for maybe 3-4 years... is that actually a bad idea?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:23 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Welcome zag! It's hard for me to touch on this particular subject because I don't have any experience with it, when I was on suboxone I always slept like a rock, I'm wondering if maybe you are just not stable at the dose your at? Or maybe it is anxiety issues unrelated to suboxone. A lot of times when I know I have to wake up early for work "2am" I get so frustrated when I can't fall asleep early that I end up working myself up and staying up all night even tho I'm exhausted. Hopefully someone will come along with more experience and can offer you some better insight.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:34 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Buprenorphine partially-activates mu receptors, and you become tolerant to that effect. So I can't see a mechanism for buprenorphine or Suboxone to cause your problems. If you google 'dsm V sleep disorders' you will find criteria for sleep paralysis and other sleep disorders. People who have sleep problems often have mixtures of symptoms that don't clearly fit one set of criteria. And if one part of sleep is altered, another part is often altered as well.

Beyond sleep disorders, the other most likely reason for your symptoms would be a manic episode, i.e. part of the bipolar spectrum. Although it is hard to imagine someone staying up all night because of mania, but having the patience to write something on a forum. If you were manic, I would expect you to tell US what is going on, not ASK what might be happening.

For whatever reason, many pulmonologists specialize in sleep disorders (because of sleep apnea, I guess). There might be some help out there. I wonder if a low dose of a benzo would keep you sleeping all night... although you will probably complain about not remembering your dreams anymore.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:02 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

In the end, I think the anxiety caused those full nights of insomnia. Every Sunday night, from here on I will make sure to go for a jogging not too late in the evening.

I was also told it would be better to get out of bed after a while if I can't sleep, to take a walk, read a book or something until if I feel sleepy.

Actually, ever since I have been on Suboxone, I have been sleeping very very well. I didn't had a job for a while and I would sleep an average of 11 hours every night! I liked it but I felt ashamed for sleeping that much so I forced myself not to go beyond 8 hours of sleep.

I'm seeing my suboxone doctor this week so I will talk to him about this issue. I will ask him for a prescription, I think having a few zolpiclone could be useful in case of another episode of total and pure insomnia.

As far as I know, I am not bipolar, I can't relate to this mental illness, so it's not a maniac episode.

All in all, my sleep was very good this whole week. I experienced sleep paralysis again and while it was happening, a space ship passed over my roof... I hope I don't end up in a sleep paralysis alien abduction scenario, that's sound creepy.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:40 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

hello Zagadka,

Sleep paralysis can be quite a scary experience. So glad you are getting some good sleep this week.

Are you taking an Anti Depressant? or any other mood altering substances? or any other meds besides the Bup?

The reason why I ask, is I am on ViiBryd ( an SSRI anti depressant) and when I skip my dose- bY accident- I get sleep paralysis that night. Every time. Not sure why, but I started to put 2 and 2 together when it happened to me a third time after skipping my anti depressant dose.
Needless to say, I try to not skip my dose. But it could be a side effect of another medication that you are taking. Just a thought.

Hope you are doing well.