It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:48 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hello everyone!

I have been super busy running around today but had this post in my head for the past few hours, so wanted to write it down while I have a pseudominute to sit :) My kids are eating dinner so nows as good of time as any! When my clients (again, I am a therapist) are facing an internal struggle, or the struggle is within me, I usually follow a 3 question sequence to guide them (or me) to the right answer. Who. Who cares? I don't say that in the sarcastic quip way that many teenagers answer with... I genuinely ask, WHO cares about the outcome? You? Family? Society? If you are battling with the decision to get off Suboxone as fast as you can, I urge you to think about this question first. If you do not know, give it some thought. The next question is WHY. Why are you struggling with this choice, whatever it may be. Is it a "pride thing"? Do you equate your choice to good person vs bad person? Strong person vs weak person? Again, if you do not know the answer to why, give it some thought. The last question is Then What? Whichever choice you make, what comes next. Assume you are dead set on getting off opiates completely... You are doing it because you care, and because you feel that you do not want to be dependent on a pill. OK, then what? Are you going to focus all of your mental energy on staying sober? If someone asked you what you are proud of in your life, is sobriety going to be it? Then What. Does your choice affect your future as much as you thought it did, or is it a feeling of being immoral and weak that is driving you? I took some time off because I had to turn inward before I could reach out. Being completely honest with myself along this line of questioning led me to my ultimate choice, to stay on subutex. Who? I answer to me and my husband and my children. Why? I have a very good, busy, fulfilling life, and do not feel I have the motivation or drive to devote myself to meetings etc... Then What? then I can put the topic of opiates behind me and continue to feel proud of myself with my business, my family, my charity, and my contribution to society with what I do. Regardless of where you are in your own personal learning process, do what you need to in the moment, but do it for the right reasons. I will never judge, never push my views on others and am a very good sounding board for people to learn themselves better. If I can do that for any of you, please reach out.

mw

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:22 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Awesome post. That is the best information I have seen yet to help people make a decicion without making it for them. Definitely helpful for me.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:12 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Yes, thank you for that. What an excellent and effective approach to decision-making. Another post for me to copy and paste for my archives!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:08 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Excellent tip on decision making. I'll add that to my 'tool box'.

Thanks!