It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Who is this person?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:48 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi,

I have been taking 10/325 norco for the past 2 years 20 a day. My pain management doctor gave me a script for 360 a month and then I would add to that.....I struggled to get through the day even on that many. It was awful. I tried to get off on my own and could not do and honestly would not do it. I have lost so much respect for myself and am so ashamed of myself that words can't even describe it. I am a college graduate with children who knows better.
Yesterday was my first day without the norco and also the first day of suboxone. I took 2mg to begin with and still had some issues so decided an hour later to take 2mg more and that's when it hit me I felt like a regular person. I feel like I used to feel like I did BEFORE drugs and to be honest I forgot how it feels. Instead of my mnd being set on when can I take more medicine I am thinking about things like what laundry needs to be done, what are we going to have for dinner. Is this too good to be true? Or is this what it's like to take this medicine? Will my body become used to it in a day or so and then I will go into a deep depression - which is what has happened in the past when I tried to quit. I would love to hear your feedback and also some experiences of how long you were on it.....Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:09 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello newstart - Congratulations on the start of your addiction remission. Isn't it great to feel "normal" again? What you're describing is pretty common - that feeling of normalcy when taking sub for the first time. As for going into a deep depression upon stabilizing on it, well, everyone is different, but I don't see why it would happen just because of the sub.

I've been on sub for over a year and a half now, and probably will be on it for the long haul, but that's because I also need it for pain management. Everyone has different opinions about how long someone should stay on it. It depends on your drug and relapse history and how much you can get done while you're on it to establish a stable lifestyle without drugs. It is my understanding that short term use has a much higher relapse rate than long term use. Sub is a great tool, but it's one of many in our quest for healthy, stable recovery.

I wish you all the best. And welcome - I hope you find this forum as great a support in your recovery as I have.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:32 pm 
Hi new start,

Welcome! I too can not believe how normal I feel! It is a pretty common feeling when you get settled on the right dose. I take 8mg daily in the morning and I have been on suboxone for 4 months. I still feel that way! No depression either...just normal.

From day one, when I was placed on suboxone in the hospital (I got on it in detox) I have used this time to work on recovery. I am going to AA, have a sponsor, go to counseling, and go to a relapse prevention group once a week. I also am taking an antidepressant. I am a wife and mom so I am busy, but have never been happier.

I mention all this because suboxone made me feel so normal, that I may not have continued all this recovery work. What I have figured out is, suboxone is only the first step, a small part of why I am doing so well.

Last night, my husband (who I met when we were both 14) told me that I am the person he married when we were 19. He said he couldn't believe he has "Me" back, that he is so in love with me agian. He actually cried. This from a man who I always joke has too much testosterone!

So suboxone works, but you have to work it! So glad you feel so well! Take care, Kire

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:15 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I know it seems too good to be true, but yeah, what you are feeling now is, in fact, what most people feel when they take suboxone. The difference may be that if you are feeling a slight "high" from it (which is also common) that will go away after a few days to a week, and what you will feel is, well, normal. Like you are already experiencing. All of that static in your head starts to do away and you start to just kind of function like you did before the nightmare of the drugs began ripping your life to shreds.

So no, this isn't some pink cloud you're on - this is addiction remission with suboxone. Like Hatmaker, I am likely in this for the long haul, given that I am sick with HepC, almost 50 years old and have been abusing opiates for over 30 years. For the first time since I was in my 20's I actually feel like a good person. Why would I even consider changing?

Welcome to the forum, I hope you stick around!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:55 pm 
Hi newstart and welcome! Isn't it wonderful?! I remember feeling the same way as you do right now! Just so excited to feel 'normal' again after several years of being stuck in the rut of wanting to stop but being unable to, at least not for very long! Like you, the depression that set in after I got off the opiates before was just too much to bear and I found myself going right back into the same vicous cycle.....so miserable!
I do not think that what you are feeling now will go away. It's real unlikely that you would slip into a depression while on Suboxone. In fact, I've heard several people comment that Suboxone acts like somewhat of an antidepressant, to the point where they actually end up being able to stop the antidepressant they may have been on before. Of course, a lot depends upon whether you've had problems with depression before, how severe and long-standing, etc. But as far as the Suboxone 'changing' on you or you ending up feeling like you did when you quit opiates before.....no, not likely. It certainly did not for me. The only times I've had issues with depressed moods is during tapering, but even then, it's been nothing like when I quit opiates cold-turkey.
Like one of the others said, some people do feel somewhat of a 'high' when they first start, so if that's the case with you, that may change over the coming few days. I never felt that way with it....just perfectly normal - not high at all. Sometimes, too, it takes a while to figure out what the best dose for the individual is. Sometimes doctors will start people on 8mg/day, sometimes more, sometimes less. So you kind of have to work a little bit to find out what is best for you. Generally it is whatever dose keeps you from experiencing withdrawal symptoms and also keeps you from having a lot of cravings. That dose varies rather widely. I've heard people say they never needed more than 2-4mg/day and I've heard people need as much as 16mg/day or even more for the first few weeks of treatment. The other factor in dosing is whether you have chronic pain and are using the medication for that as well. If that's the case your doctor may have you on the higher end of dosing recommendations (over 16mg/day) and may also have you taking it several times a day, rather all at once.
As for me, I've been on it for a little over a year and have been tapering very slowly for a long time. I started at around 16mg/day and within a very short time (maybe a week) realized I didn't need that much so ended up at 8mg/day for several months and then began tapering my dose further from there. I've now been at about 1mg/day for quite a while and plan to start tapering again very shortly in hopes of trying to discontinue the medication sometime in the next few months. But I have nothing against people staying on it forever and if it turns out that I need to stay on longer, I will. Everyone is different. Addiction is a complex disease and we all have to work with our doctors, therapists, counselors, recovery groups, etc to figure out the best plan for us as individuals. I do believe pretty strongly, however, that doing a short-term detox, or a quick taper over the course of only a few weeks or even months with Suboxone is not the best idea. It seems that the success rates for staying off the former drugs of choice is much higher for those who either stay on Suboxone for life or at least stay on it for a year or more.
I'm not a doctor and those are just my experiences and opinions based on what I've heard and read.
Congratulations to you. I'm glad you're feeling good and hope you'll continue to post here!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:39 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Feels wonderful doesn't it! Welcome back to the real world, and say goodbye to those constant worries about finding/paying for drugs on the street. Not to mention getting back your health and sanity!
All the best for the future, you won't regret doing this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:06 am 
Good to see you again Sneaky!!
How ya doing Newstart? Everything still going well for you?

Post subject: Congrats Newstartnow
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:33 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Congrats Newstartnow - seems like you have gotten some really nice replies. For me, I have been on Suboxone since December of 2009. I felt completely normal like you too from day one and feel normal still today. I'm going through some tough times and it's nice to be able to feel my feelings.

Setmefree said something that caught my eye... I currently take Lexapro for mild depression since stopping opiates and anxiety too. I started Lexapro prior to starting Suboxone due to just a mopy feeling on the weekends. The Lexapro really helped well but I noticed I didn't stabilize mentally until I began Suboxone. With that said I was also thinking of tapering and stopping Lexapro just to see how I managed on Suboxone alone. My Sub doctor disagrees and thinks I should stay on both. My first doctor wanted me off Lexapro in one year. Anyways, it's something that I have mentioned to my wife and I kind of just get this evil eye. I have been with my wife since I'm 18 and she also states I'm like my old self back in the day. So, I guess it's not rocket science that I will be on Suboxone for the long haul. I'm currently taking 8mg daily and I'm thinking of tapering down to 4mg to see how I do there.

I would love to see you post an update and see how you're doing. Hope to hear from you soon.

SuperBuper

Post subject: blessed
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:23 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I thank the God of my understanding every day for making this wonderful substance called buprenorphine available to me. After a solid year on Suboxone I can attest to the fact that it can change a life, by giving you time to build your recovery. Personally, if someone is stable and happy on it, I cannot think of any reason anyone should be forced to stop taking Sub. After all, each person knows themselves and what they need (especially when it comes to a drug that actually treats their problem).

When I think of how much better my life is now I just want to celebrate!

James

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:52 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

As everyone else has said.....it is real and although it is too good to be true....it isn't. I still feel that way 3 years later. I am happy. I am free. Being focused on when you take your next pill is something you have to work on to make go away. Once you do, the feeling of freedom is even greater. I often forget to take a dose these days. Welcome to your life. I hope you enjoy every minute of it :-)

Cherie

- Winston Churchill