It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Where to get a script?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:26 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I am currently in a Sub program where I pay $300 a month. I must attend 1 weekly group, and monthly individual therapy, and Dr. Visit. They provide my script which I fill. Insurance only pays a few $$. It is becoming a expense i can't continue to pay. I want to stay on my 8mg daily. So the question is, where do you get your script. Private Dr., or clinic. Not even sure if a regular Dr. can write a script for Sub? Trying to figure out if my regular Dr. can write the script or is just choosing not to. Can a psychiatrist write the script? Any help would be great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:57 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

My psychiatrist writes my suboxone script. He has like 10 or so patients taking suboxone. I assume he had to comply with the course or training or whatever it is to legally rx suboxone. Where I live more and more psychiatrist are taking a few suboxone patients. Most don't advertise it. I know my psychiatrist is so busy with his other patients he does not have the time to see 100 suboxone patients. I still have to comply with his rules (periodic urine tests, maybe 2 a year, and complete abstainence from all drugs, even alcohol). The good thing about seeing a psychiatrist or family doctor is my insurance pays 100% of doctor visits and 40.00 co-pay for medication. I would guess you would have better luck finding a psychiatrist than a family doctor to prescribe for you. The catch is, for my doc anyway, he would not take me as a patient until I was well into my recovery. Depending on where you are at it doesn't hurt to ask your shrink or your family dr. Also I think I read somewhere on here that any dr can prescribe suboxone for pain, that's how I used to get a month supply of methadose way back when. Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:32 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Thanks for the info, i'm gonna try thru the insurance on Monday. I''ve been in the program for 2 years now, first Methadone now Sub. hopefully that will help in finding a DR. to take me on.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:21 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Xena
If you go to the suoxone directory or NAABT.org.......they have plenty of sub docs by state. Plus Dr.J jsut started some threads for people to list doctors by geographic area. I recently had to get a new sub doc and I called 28 different doctors before I got in to one....

Some people have been very lucky and found doctors that take insurance......you will find that many do not. I still have not figured that one out yet. Thre were two doctors in my fairly large city but they had quite a waiting list that I was on and I had to keep having to push back due to work conflicts......then the latest appointment was moved by the doc to Sept. This will take some work but it is worth it. My old doc was $100 a visit...My new doc is $175 a month. Thank goodness my insurance picks up the script at $45. One other suggestion is to find a large practice with 80+ doctors......call them and ask them if they have a doctor licensed to dispense suboxone.

Good Luck...this is a pain but necessary for us to continue or addiction remission. Also if you feel ok with saying where you are at......someone on here may be able to refer you to a doc......beleive it or not after all calling I did....I asked and someone on the forum gave me the name of my current doc and he got me in within a week.

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:23 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I found my sub doc through NAABT.org. Turns out he's also a family doctor, so my insurance covers my visits and my scripts. If you are also taking sub for pain, then yes, any doctor can write it for pain, but otherwise they have to have the special DATA 2000 waiver. (I think that's what it's called.) There are also other online physician locators if you can't find one through this site or NAABT. And as ReRaise mentioned - are you comfortable telling us where you're at? Maybe some members here live in the same area and can give you some doctors' names.

I know the financial aspect of treatment can be huge, as well as a big source of stress. I hope you find a doc soon that will take your insurance. Good luck and please let us know how it turns out.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:26 am 
New Poster
New Poster

thanks for the info, I am in Orlando, Fl.