It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Where do I go from here?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:27 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I really hope someone here can help or advice me. I'll try to be brief. Been on subs a handful of times, only the first time did I do it the "correct" way and taper down to less than .25 and jumped and it was great. Sadly, I relapsed a year or so later after an injury. Last few times on subs I've just switched back from subs back to roxy's for whatever reason. Anyway, over the years my tolerance has skyrocketed to where I'm doing average 600mg roxy a day. This is breaking me financially and I feel so guilty, ashamed, etc.. I want off. I got some subs left over so I made myself withdrawal for 24 hrs and took my first 4mg this morning and no relief. Over the next 3 hours I took 16 mg and I was still having horrible wd's, all of the usual symptoms. So I caved, called my guy, did 5 roxys and now I feel better, not high or good but I'm out of the bathroom and actually slept a bit. So is my tolerance just too high for the subs to work? Should I try to taper down my roxy's to a lower dose and then try again? Or should I dose agai tomorrow and take Roy again after if I don't get relief? Im thinkin I just have sooo many receptors that the sub can cover them all which is why the roxy helped. Idk. Please someone give me some guidance. I am at the end of my rope, I have a great job, 2 beautiful children and a husband and I need to get my life back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:59 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hello and welcome. First thing u need to do is decide if u are serious. If u think long and hard and decide that yes, you are - you should make an appt with a dr. Theres no use in starting on the sub when you will prob end up running out and then having to go bk to the Roxys again. Roxies were also my drug of choice so I know how treacherous they can be.
Secondly, you can NOT start subs without being in pretty horrible withdrawal - especially when dealing with Roxies. I know when I would take them I could take some at midnight before I went to sleep and wake up by six or seven and feel like absolute hell. I would recommend a FULL 48 hours pill-free, to the point where you are not only stuck in the bathroom, but are shaking, sweating, freezing, restless, and miserable. You can Google the "COWS" opiate withdrawal scale to help but be HONEST, don't exagerate your symptoms. You have to rremember, you can't just be uncomfortable, but need to be in at least moderate withdrawls in order for sub to begin working properly. Otherwise all you do is put yourself into precipitated withdrawals and its (frm what I have heard) like being hit by a freight train.
So, my opinion is to DO it, but do it right.
If you are serious about getting clean and are truly ready to be DONE wth the pills, people on here WILL help you! Unfortunately, so many people go back and forth and dont take it seriously, that I think at least some of the folks on here would just rather not waste their time. Sorry if that sounds rude. **Note- that is just my observation, but I am fairly new to this board. Only been here a month or two- but if you truly need help- this is the place to come. Lots of GREAT people! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:04 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Roxylady,

A lot of members here, including myself, have been where you're at. You're habit has grown quite a bit, so you are no longer at that level where you can take suboxone and feel instantly better. Heroin addicts, especially, have this trouble when inducing on suboxone. This makes the transition a little more difficult to say the least. You have to ride it out and let the suboxone start working. You won't be comfortable in the beginning but it will get better.

You said that you had subs "left over". How many? Are you just trying to detox yourself from the oxycodone? Or do you plan on using sub for maintenance?

The suboxone will work but it is a commitment. You have to decide that you're willing to go through a little bit of uncomfortableness for the greater good. You can try to taper down to a lower oxy dose but really that's just crazy talk for most of us addicts. Plus, it just pushes back your recovery and allows you to say "I'll do it another day", which can be an unhealthy habit to get into.

Are you familiar with addiction? Do you do anything to learn/ improve yourself while also trying to quit? Using subs just to detox, without doing anything else, most likely won't get you very far. Wishing you the best with your transition to suboxone. Make it work.