It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:06 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I currently live in New York City. My husband got a job in Mexico that is going to last at least a year, and is starting in just a few months. I am going with him. I take suboxone and do not feel ready to go off it yet. I am looking for some resource to help me find a psychiatrist in Mexico who can prescribe suboxone to me. We will be in Cuernavaca, Morelos, which is about a half hour drive from Mexico City.

I would ask my current doctor, but she is one of those types who just makes money by prescribing desirable medications and does not care at all about her patients. In fact when I asked her about it, all she did was give me the Suboxone.com website. On there I could only find directories for the United States. I also tried the American Society for Addiction Medications, and it seemed to offer an international search but only returned results in the US. I had similar results on any other site I tried.

Searching for anything related to suboxone and Mexico, I get a mess of posts about everything but what I'm looking for. Anyone have any leads?

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:26 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Gosh stinkbean... I have no idea what they do in Mexico! I would start by looking for the Mexican equivalent of Health and Human Services in the US, and then looking at the agencies responsible for addiction treatment. Some countries have access to buprenorphine, and some don't... and some have access that is extremely limited. I've had patients come to Wisconsin from Canada, for example, saying that they have to travel 400 miles to get to a treatment program that uses buprenorphine-- and the wait list is so long that it takes years to get a spot. (if anyone here is from Canada, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong! I'm just going by what I've heard from a couple people who live in Western Ontario).

I found this paragraph on the web site for AATOD: http://www.aatod.org/policies/policy-statements/increasing-access-to-medication-to-treat-opioid-addiction-increasing-access-for-the-treatment-of-opioid-addiction-with-medications/

The American Association for Treatment of Opioid Dependence represents more than 950 Opioid Treatment Programs in the United States and Mexico. AATOD has worked with our European partners (EUROPAD) in forming the World Federation for the Treatment of Opioid Dependence.

Let us know if you find out!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:59 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

You might actually have an easier time getting suboxone down there than thru the good ole USA health care system. I live in San Diego, Ca. 15 miles from the border and go to Tijuana often. I get all my dental work done down there for half the cost.

Their pharmacy laws are very different and I don't know how they work but they are much more relaxed than here. When I"m there I just walk into any one of many pharmacies and if I want any number of things they have doctors on site. You just walk into the room with the doctor, ask him, or tell him what you need and usually you can get it. I'm not saying it's crooked because the doctors care. But they have such a differnt system that it's not the kind of doctor that you have to be touched by or given a physical or develop a relationship with. He basically just asks a few common sense questions, feels it out to make sure you're not just drug seeking, and then writes the script. He just charges a few dollars. The price of the meds all depends.

I'm pretty sure they have suboxone. All drugs go by different names down there but I inquired the last time I was there which was 2 weeks ago and yes, the pharmacies have it so you should be able to get a line on it once you figure out how their system works. I didn't buy it when I was there because I didn't need it. I was just inquiring if they had it and how much it cost. They told me the cost in pesos but I don't remember what it came to.

good luck, megster

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 7:52 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

This is a very interesting question to me because I lived off and on in Mexico and have firsthand experience. I'll just share my own personal experience. Others, or yours, may be different.

When I started suboxone, I was under the care of a Dr in the San Diego area and got my prescriptions filled at a nearby pharmacy in San Diego. As some of you might know, it can be expensive being on suboxone treatment. I got the bright idea to see if I can get this treatment in Mexico or at least get the prescription filled. I first did an exhaustive search in Tijuana. I mean I personally visited just about every pharmacy in the city over a 3 month period and absolutely none carried suboxone or the generic. The closest thing they had to offer was a 0.2mg dose that is for pain only and to get the equivalent full dose I was prescribed, the costs would have been almost 3X than what I paid in the US. I also asked many Drs and I came up empty handed. As of 2016, it looks like buprenorphone treatment of opiod dependence is not available in Mexico. Anyone who knows otherwise, please share. I also checked in Mexico City and Guadalajara when my work sent me to those cities and I still found nothing.

Also a quick comment about the pharmacies in Mexico. The days of being relaxed, as far as narcotics goes, are long gone. It is extremely difficult to get prescribed. I know of several expat seniors retired and living in Mexico and a couple had a legit US prescription but they could not find a willing Dr or pharmacy to transfer to Mexico or to even give a fresh new prescription. Also a neighbor had knee replacement surgery in Mexico and he was only given Tramadol for the pain management and he suffered quite a bit.