It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:45 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I guess a little back story will help before I say anything else. I live in San Diego Ca. and am currently being prescribed 25mg of methadone by a pain dr. who is also suboxone certified. I was referred to him by my primary care dr. who is wonderful and has known me for years and wants to help me find a solution to my opiate addiction. I have been on and off opiates for most of my adult life and at 60 there is no way I can function without either methadone or suboxone. I have tried and nearly died more than a few times so there is no question that I need maintenance.

The problem I have is that I can't afford the 360.a month for the methadone clinic and my insurance does not cover it so I'm in pickle. I am currently being prescribed my dose by a pain doctor that is certified to prescribe suboxone but he's only going to do it for one more month and then he wants me off. He said he does not do long term methadone or suboxone maintainence and apparently a lot of suboxone doctors share the same sentiment. They're prefectly happy to prescribe it short term or for detoxing off of other opiates but finding a maintenance doctor is proving to be nearly impossible.

I'm freaked out at the moment because there is no way I can manage my life without it. I have tried countless times and always end up in the emergency room so I don't want to take the chance again. So yeah, it sounds like this is a problem everywhere from what I am reading on this forum. Far too many of us are being marginalized and kicked to the curb because the medical systems in place do not know how to handle our particular medical problem. My god, this is like being in the dark ages! I can not believe how many of us need good care and in this day and age it's still not available. It's heartbreaking!

My question is this: Does anyone know of a doctor in the San Diego area that prescribes suboxone long term? If so please pm me. My job for the next few days is going to be calling every suboxone doctor in the phone book and ask them if they do maintenaince. Hopefully I'll find one and hopefully it will be covered under my insurance but I'm not going to hold my breath.......

thanks for listening......megster

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:39 pm 

Hi Megster, I just feel so bad for you! I don't know why they would rush you off of a maintenance medication! That is just crazy. I have not heard of any stories like that here in NJ. In fact, I am in the "field" and the counselors I know that have clients on maintenance meds are always concerned if they go missing or if the methadone clinic calls to say that they have not been there. My Dr and I have talked about the length of time for me and suboxone but only because my initial goal was to be off within a year. That passed in August! lol She says that I can take all the time I need! I am so lucky to have her! I don't know what I will do if she decides to retire! I wish you luck with your search. Please let us know how you make out.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:07 pm 

What a crock of bull$#@& saying you can only have it for one month and have to get off it. Obviously, it is a physician who knows almost nothing about addiction and how our brains work.

I was very fortunate to have found a good doctor right off. It was me who wanted to taper and get off it. The doctor and his wife-nurse told me to slow down and not think about it for awhile. She said "so what if you take a prescribed medication for life?" Now I understand what she was trying to tell me. They also took my insurance as paid in full. Now that is a rare one! Then I move one state away and find another just like him.

So when I read about members here having these kind of troubles it really bothers me. It is taking way too long for the medical field to learn more about Buprenorphine and its benefits.

Megster, if you can drive to Ventura, Ca. I can supply you a name and address. It's a long drive to do once a month but it's better than nothing. PM me if you want the info.

rule

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:09 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thank you Rule and Michelle for your quick reply. It's been a crazy messed up ride and today I was thrown a curve ball but I'm not giving up easily. I'm going to keep looking everyday and calling every suboxone doctor listed in this city until I find one that agrees to maintenance treatment. There's got to be someone. This is a large city. I did find one but he's not taking new patients so I'll keep looking.

This forum is a godsend and rich with information about our particular problem. Just like marijuana is slowly state by state becoming legal or available via medical prescription I have hope opiate replacement therapy will catch on too. It still has a long way to go and from what I am learning on this forum some people are fortunate enough to be near an enlightened doctor where others are not. I'm hoping I'm one of the lucky ones but it's really a crap shoot.

I can't afford the cost of suboxone or the dr.s fee if I can't find one that takes my insurance so that's another issue. Finding one and finding one under my health plan. The cards are stacked against us from the get go.....

Anyway, if I don't have any luck here in san diego I'll pm you for that info on the ventura dr. That's a long way from here and I hope I can find something closer. We shall see.......

thanks again for your support. This forum is wonderful.......xoxo megster

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:08 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

One of the reasons doctors do short-term treatment is the cap. Doctors SHOULD decrease the frequency of visits in stable patients, as that is the approach to ALL diseases. So the newer patients have more visits, bringing in more money.. giving doctors an incentive to keep bringing in new patients. Some docs see people monthly forever-- and some states even require that approach. I find it a ridiculous way to practice medicine, making the assumption that 'all addicts are exactly the same', not-to-be-trusted, and requiring state oversight in order to provide proper treatment. Hogwash.

Last week the HHS Secretary promised to raise the cap on buprenorphine patients. I will celebrate when the promise is delivered, and not before.... but with a higher cap (or more appropriately no cap at all), doctors will lose the incentive to push patients out of treatment-- and instead be in the position to make a choice for each patient based only on patient NEED.

There are so many ridiculous aspects thrown into the mix-- when it really should all be about what is best for each individual patient.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:55 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Does anyone can define us about good doctors!!!
I don't think so.But If you're a part of medical career, you need to know that you are going to be the best doctor you can.
The few things we need to learn is professionalism,Empathy,Patience,Up to date,Hard working etc.Bedside manner isn't everything, but it's important to find a physician recruitment you trust and feel comfortable with. In the case of your doctor, you needs to feel comfortable too.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:49 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Megster I was referred to him by my primary care dr. who is wonderful and has known me for years and wants to help me find a solution to my opiate addiction

Ask your primary if they would prescribe the Suboxone for you. It takes an 8 hour course, getting free CME credit. It is a 4 hour webinar and 4 hours online material, no travel involved.

http://www.aoaam.org/ the course schedule is listed here, bottom right.
AAPA also has courses but they charge for it. http://www.aaap.org/education-training/buprenorphine/

Since you know what you want and have been on Suboxone it should not be that difficult for them to manage your Rx. Your doctor is under no obligation to be listed in the finder sites, nor take any other patients if they decide not to, but hopefully would if all goes well with you.
Another option is to ask a trusted pharmacist, they may know who in the area is using Sub long term.
PAX