It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:13 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I was on about 4mg a day for a month and a half, and it's been 4 days since my last dose. Other than cravings and some cramps in my chest I haven't felt any withdrawal. Am I in the clear?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:08 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I don't think anyone could responsibly say you are in the clear. But many if not most people report withdrawal symptoms starting by day 4. So maybe you will be one of the lucky ones for whom withdrawal is easy. Be wary of those cravings though. Getting off opiates is fairly easy in the scheme of things, it's staying off that's really hard. Hope you have a solid plan in place and lots of support.
Good Luck

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:34 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Lillyval wrote:
I don't think anyone could responsibly say you are in the clear. But many if not most people report withdrawal symptoms starting by day 4. So maybe you will be one of the lucky ones for whom withdrawal is easy. Be wary of those cravings though. Getting off opiates is fairly easy in the scheme of things, it's staying off that's really hard. Hope you have a solid plan in place and lots of support.
Good Luck

Everything I'm reading on the interweb suggests 1-3 days and rarely 5+ days.. hmm.. towards the end I was skipping doses and taking less maybe that had something to do with it ? I'm scared to death of being dopesick

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:40 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I'd say that if it hasn't started after five days, you might be in the clear. Three to five days after would be the usual times of onset, I believe.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:53 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I don't understand the reason, but over the years I've had several patients stop buprenorphine and have no withdrawal. In each case, the person was not expecting withdrawal-- and at some point later they mentioned the lack of symptoms. One was a woman who got locked up on a warrant for a years-old theft charge. She was in jail for about a month, and at an appointment a couple months after she was released, I made a comment like 'it must have been miserable coming off in jail.' She replied, 'what do you mean? Was I supposed to get sick?'

The others were similar. In each case I tried to imagine how the absorption was poor, or the dosing too intermittent to attain blood levels... but none of those things applied.

One person went on and off buprenorphine several times, bragging over the years that he never had any problem stopping it. But then at some point, he had significant withdrawal when he tried to stop-- and now he is still taking it.

Very strange.

But as others have said, a few days should be sufficient to drop the blood level below the 'ceiling effect' so that withdrawal would set in. I suppose if a person's metabolism of buprenorphine is very slow, for example the cytochrome system is blocked by gallons and gallons of grapefruit juice, that it could take longer-- or maybe some people have a variant of the enzyme that doesn't metabolize buprenorphine(?)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:32 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'll keep you guys posted. In a few hours it will be exactly 5 days since my last dose. So far nothing but cravings.

I was really scared (still am) because opiate withdrawals for me is the most miserable feeling in the world :(

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:31 am 

LDC,

Please keep us updated on how ur feeling. I totally understand that dread of withdrawal and it used to scare me to death bk in my using days. If u still haven't felt any physical symptoms by now, u definitely could be in the clear. Wouldn't that be wonderful?? Hope you're still feeling good today :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:09 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Today is day 7 and I can honestly say there has been zero withdrawal symptoms. Either there is still enough in my bloodstream to keep my out of withdrawal or I am extremely lucky. I still don't feel 100% normal energy-wise and I wouldn't expect to but this is NOTHING like what I've experienced with oxy/hydro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:28 pm 

Wow that's awesome!!! Hope all is still going well.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It could be because you were on a low dose for only 6 weeks and you are very lucky. Please don't take any opiates thinking you can do this again. It's a gift, accept it and move on with your new sober life.

I am happy you are not in withdrawal hell. Just move on and don't wait for 'it' to hit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:15 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Tiki wrote:
It could be because you were on a low dose for only 6 weeks and you are very lucky. Please don't take any opiates thinking you can do this again. It's a gift, accept it and move on with your new sober life.

I am happy you are not in withdrawal hell. Just move on and don't wait for 'it' to hit

Thank you for your advice. I still can't help but wake up feeling paranoid that it's about to hit me, but so far it hasn't. I definitely have no desire to touch any opiates again. I probably won't be so lucky a second time!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:11 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

hey guys, thought I'd update. Besides a lack of energy (nothing unmanageable) there hasn't been anything excepttt

since the third day I've experienced really really weird vivid dreams every night. they're hard to remember but they leave me feeling a sense of dread when i awake. tough to explain.

still don't feel like the person i was before i started using last June.. don't know how long that is going to take.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:43 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'm feeling pretty bad today :( depression and lack of energy are the worst it's been since i stopped. i keep freaking myself out thinking i made myself mentally ill and i'll never be happy without opiates again blah blah blah. i keep reading that it's not the case. i have to go to work in a couple hours and i'm dreading it.. i'm a server at a very busy restaurant where i'm constantly walking back and forth and talking to people.

I'm going on a week long cruise in a week. I really don't want to feel like this on my vacation. :'(

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:02 pm 

Hi LDCFree, I wish I had an answer for you! The depression and the feeling that there is no joy in anything is miserable for me. Bring on the vomiting and diarrhea, I am not going to miss a few pounds! lol But, that darkness is too much for me! I am happy that it is not something that I have to even think about right now! I will say a prayer for you that you are through the worst!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:14 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I bet by next week, when you are on that cruise, the sadness will lift. You will be busy and getting sunshine while you are sitting by the pool, which is always a mood lifter for me.

Cheer up, many of us are praying, rooting & cheering you on :D

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:16 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Tiki wrote:
I bet by next week, when you are on that cruise, the sadness will lift. You will be busy and getting sunshine while you are sitting by the pool, which is always a mood lifter for me.

Cheer up, many of us are praying, rooting & cheering you on :D

thanks so much for that post Tiki. today nothing could lift me up. my weakness and depression are really bad right now. :( i simply can't see a good side in anything. i used to be such a happy person before i tried that first vicodin.. and now i can't even smile . :'(

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:17 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Michelle F. wrote:
Hi LDCFree, I wish I had an answer for you! The depression and the feeling that there is no joy in anything is miserable for me. Bring on the vomiting and diarrhea, I am not going to miss a few pounds! lol But, that darkness is too much for me! I am happy that it is not something that I have to even think about right now! I will say a prayer for you that you are through the worst!

i'd rather experience the physical symptoms for a month than a day of this mental despair.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:54 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

LCDFree,

Many, many people who tapered or jumped off of Suboxone agree on one thing; forcing yourself to exercise, even walking, helps relieve the depression and "blahs". It helps your body restart it's own production of endorphins (or something) that has been pretty much shutdown during the opioid use.

Give it a try, but remember it may take a little time. If you start now, I'm sure that it combined with the sun and sea breeze will definitely give you a boost.

Thanks,
Morphing

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:09 pm 

Hey LDC,

Sorry to hear about the depression ur feeling right now. I think I know a bit about how ur feeling. Before I started suboxone, right before my last relapse I very depressed. I'd went to an inpatient rehab and graduated and boom, sit bk into reality. I was depressed from the second I stopped my detox in rehab and stayed that way for a few months until I relapsed again. Of course I had the cravings too that consumed me with the depression. I wouldn't shower or come out of my room. I was a complete wreck. I do think cravings played a huge part of that though. Being an addict, depression and cravings can go hand in hand sometimes. Long story short, I didn't work my recovery plan like I was supposed to and I relapsed. I didn't think I'd ever have that natural happiness like I used to before I started using.

I know it's hard to push urself when ur sad. But I should have exercised, found a hobby, and found me a counselor. I just gave up and it's easy to do when u think this is the only way ur ever going to feel better. But I think you'd benefit from a counselor. I think how ur feeling is kinda normal for just coming off suboxone, but some ppl have a more difficult time than others. I know I sure did. But my experience was only from opiates not suboxone. I truly hope that u feel better soon, I hate that ur having a rough time. Ur cruise will definitely lift ur spirits too, like the lovely Tiki said.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:52 pm 

I wouldn't worry about work so much. It's better to keep yourself busy than to sit and think about how you feel. A lot of it is in the mind as our good doctor mentioned.

Reading posts like yours gives others hope that their withdrawal, or lack thereof, won't be very bad. I am one of those people who never had a very hard time withdrawing from opiates. We've all done it many times while using. When I took a good hard look at it, it seemed like a minor inconvenience. If the day ever comes when I stop the Suboxone I suspect my symptoms won't be too harsh.

Let us know how work went.