It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: WHEN WILL I SLEEP??
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:18 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have been off of Suboxone for over 3 weeks now and I have bad ability to regulate my temperature and high blood pressure which I am tying to the fact I get about 2 hours of sleep every night. I think if I could just get 6 hours of sleep each night I would feel 10 times better but I really dont know how much longer I can take the nights on end without sleep. I feel like my brain is deteriorating slowly. Am I close to seeing the end or am I looking at another 3+ weeks of this hell? Because honestly I will take any of the other withdrawl symptoms over insomia as it seems to amplify any bad feeling you already have. And it also seems to be the reason its taking so long to recover. Its almost like I cant recover because I cant sleep and I can't sleep because I cant recover :(

Post subject: Re: WHEN WILL I SLEEP??
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:16 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

See if you can get a prescription for Clonidine, it's a blood pressure med that will help relax you a little, most likely enough to sleep. Hot baths, if you can.. relaxes the muscles. If you have an ipod, put head phones in at night on something really really calming. That worked wonders for me. You are almost through it..

Hang in there,not sleeping is one of the hardest parts.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:41 pm 

I am going to agree with tinydancer. The Clonidine will help lower your blood pressure and take the edge off.

What does your doctor say? The last time I was off all opiates my doctor gave me a short supply of Xanax. That really helped with sleep. But if you have ever had a problem with benzo's then you must be very careful and truthful with your Suboxone Dr.

Now I have a running supply of Ambien. Even that can be a problem but lucky for me it isn't. One 30 pill supply will last me over 6 months. Just be very careful if you are going to try the benzo route. The last thing you need is an addiction to those.

There is also Seroquel & Trazodone that may help. Neither are benzo's. Ask your doctor.

And last but not least, Welcome to the forum!

rule

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:02 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

All good suggestions.

I remember my own detox years ago--- I was alone in the living room of the treatment house all night while the rest of the house slept, night after night. I think that being wide awake in bed was worse than just sitting up on the couch, watching tv night after night... It does get back to normal eventually. The meds listed above are all helpful, and can even be used in combination (as directed by your doctor). You will feel pretty doped up during daytime, but I think that it is worth it, just to have a little respite from the misery. Hang in there-- it WILL end eventually. I rarely see people have withdrawal symptoms beyond 8 weeks, and 4-6 weeks is more typical.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:42 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks everyone. I posted another topic on another question I had but in case you guys don't see it I will copy it to my recent posts. You all are very help btw.

Here it is...

Hello,
I have been off of Suboxone for almost a month now and I feel horrible when I lay down at night and only get about 2 hours of sleep if Im lucky. I've tried everything else under the sun but it seems the only thing that does the trick is to take ONE Vicodin. I have no desire to get high off of them and I can limit myself to one per night no problem, but am I setting myself back by doing this? Am I just prolonging the withdrawls? To me if it can get from 1-2 hours of sleep to 7-8 its worth it, but maybe its not? Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:01 pm 

Ya know, whatever floats your boat. It seems useless to even try to talk anyone out of trying this method once they have done it already. To an addict like me it is pure insanity to think I could use a full agonist opiate responsibly. So why even ask? If the majority here say that you're playing with fire, you won't do it? I say you're playing with fire.

We can only give our opinions. You will do what you will do regardless. Read the numerous threads regarding this subject for the best possible advice for sleep.

Sure hope you can pull this off and come out the other side okay.

rule

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:42 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

'I'm just going to take....(insert BS pt one) .... and it will be OK because (insert BS pt two)' is the thing that went through most of our minds at some point before all hell broke loose.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:52 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

I feel honored following Dr J ..... Hey colt, instead of taking a Vicodin learn how to use your Suboxone, that way you'll be moving forward . We all understand what sleep issues your going through, sleep is one of the main reasons I'm still taking 2 mgs of Suboxone a day for 5 yrs now ..... Find a good Dr who scripts Suboxone ( I see a shrink ) talk about your moods for 15 mins every 2 months and move on ...... Mike Sullivan , Crown Point, IN

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:41 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

rule62 wrote:
I am going to agree with tinydancer. The Clonidine will help lower your blood pressure and take the edge off.

What does your doctor say? The last time I was off all opiates my doctor gave me a short supply of Xanax. That really helped with sleep. But if you have ever had a problem with benzo's then you must be very careful and truthful with your Suboxone Dr.

Now I have a running supply of Ambien. Even that can be a problem but lucky for me it isn't. One 30 pill supply will last me over 6 months. Just be very careful if you are going to try the benzo route. The last thing you need is an addiction to those.

There is also Seroquel & Trazodone that may help. Neither are benzo's. Ask your doctor.

And last but not least, Welcome to the forum!

rule

not to sabotage your response but ....
i would stay far far away from Xanax if i were you ....
i hear its highly addictive & another one of the reasons people are in rehabs ....

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:07 pm 

not to sabotage your response but ....
i would stay far far away from Xanax if i were you ....
i hear its highly addictive & another one of the reasons people are in rehabs ....
[/quote]

Responses like yours are very valuable here on a recovery site. The drug IS very dangerous but I thought I had explained it well enough. It doesn't hurt to double warn addicts again so Thanks.

In my many years at AA I was told time and time again how horrible Xanax is. At the time I had never taken any before. When I met my wife she had a script for them and I freaked out. It took some time to realize that I was the addict, not her.

But to be on the safe side, members need to read your warning also.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:16 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

My dr. will not prescribe Xanax or klonopin to any of his patients because "YOU CAN DIE." Is what he tells me. My previous dr was a child psychiatrist who had me on klonopin from the age of 16. And continued to prescribe it after he put me on subs at age 24. My dr now is much more concerned w my health n well-being rather than spoiling me and giving me any script I ask for. He has successfully tapered me 100% off of benzodiazepines. And I am thankful. The addict in me def misses having them, but I know I don't need them.
To answer the sleep question. Clonodine will help. I used to take Advil pm an hour before I climbed in bed. I'd sleep hard usually 6-8 hrs, but everyone's different. I know what it's like trying to sleep when u feel like the only thing that will alleviate the pain in your belly is constant movement, kicking or body spasms. There's some good suggestions from the members here. See which one is safest and works best for u. Good luck