It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:47 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi, I'm new here, but a sub vet. Luckily I began taking subs in 2009, before my state ran out of Dr's! First I want to thank u guys, I read through this all day yesterday trying to calm my nerves for my first ever tooth extraction (they ended up taking 3!) I went to the ER Sunday night for extreme tooth pain, they gave me 5/325 Lortabs (4 to take home, which didn't do much, took last one yesterday morning) I was also given a Rx for Tramadol which I've been taking. To prep for the extraction I haven't taken subs since Sunday afternoon (I'm supposed to take them all at once (16mg Rx'd but I only take 8mg/day) but have always split my dose up to 3-4 a day, all at once never was good for me) I've taken maybe a total of 6-7 tramadols 50mg since Monday, my last one was last night. I want to start back up on my subs but am terrified of precip. Withdrawals! How long should I wait to start back up with my subs? I tried calling my clinician but of course haven't heard back yet. Any advice/exp would be great! I've taken tramadol while on subs, but never when it was completely out of my system for 3 full days. Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:58 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I know I haven't taken much of anything- 4 5mg Lortabs and 6 or 7 50mg tramadol, but I'm not feeling like I normally would after 3-4 days with no subs. I'm really nervous because I've been on a stable dose for so many years and never messed with it except when I flew out of state last minute for a funeral and got snowed in, was out of my Rx for 3 days (and oh boy I felt bad). I'm in a lot of pain with my teeth and really don't want to add wd's on top of that! Do I need to wait till I feel sick to restart my subs, or can I just start slow? Thanks in advance for the advice n experience!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:42 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

If you wait 24 yours, you'll be fine. If you go 12 yours, you will PROBABLY be OK. If you are in significant withdrawal, you will almost surely be OK.

The main thing-- if you DO get PW, just keep taking buprenorphine. PW NEVER lasts very long. Only if you go back to agonists, then go back and forth, will you end up feeling miserable for day.

Good Luck!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:12 pm 

Hi Jenn, So you took tramadol while taking suboxone and did not have a problem? Tramadol was my doc. I am having a scope to repair a stomach problem in two weeks. I am at 4mgs of sub a day. I have been told the only pain I will have is a very sore throat. But, just like you, the whole thing makes me very nervous!